German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i am new to this so please bare with me. So this is my story and situation - there was a neighbour who had a German Shepherd 4 month old puppy (based in london). I was concerned by the way they were treating her etc i asked a few questions and they than explained they were looking to rehome asap as she was not fitting in to their family life and was to demanding. Fast foward a couple of months they called me one morning asking if i could take her that same day. After serious thought i decided to try and give this beautiful puppy a better life. Fast foward, i picked up a 5 and a bit month tripple the size GS whom was dirty, had fleas and dragging me down the road non responsive to anything, not even treats, it was her way or the highway. My other neighbour is a dog trainer who aleady owns a 10 year old GS - i had seen her whilst walking down (or should i say getting dragged down the street)i enquired regarding her prices for 2 week full boarding and training which has cost me an arm and a leg. Nevertheless i managed to see my girl getting the right training she needed, happier and overall alot more calmer. Fast foward some more, i got the dog back 2 weeks later baring in mind i had seen her maybe 6 times during the training time in order to learn how handle situations etc, i have now had her for 11 days great progress shes amazing, hard work, far from perfect but truly amazing has an amazing personality which i was unable to see through all her aggression before. HOWEVER, i have seen the training lady 3 times whilst with my dog and each time the dog gets progressively more and more excited ( which is fine, although abit soul crushing) - the last time we saw her my dog was crying for hours after, even yapped at me in aggression or furstration? Refused to do any obidience which usually helps snap her out of any moods. Very on edge pacing in the house. So when i contacted the trainer and requested she doesnt call out for us when seeing us or going out her way to call us around and making her self apparent as im worried my Ava thinks iv taken her away from her 'owner' as shes had her longer than me, taught her loads etc she responded with im wrong and actually its a case of Anthropomorphism and i should allow her around the dog more in order for her to over come it. I personally really do not want to as i feel this time is crucial for bonding and everytime we see her it really crushes the relationship in an instance and knocks my confidence which doesnt help our training. Please help, am i wrong, should i let them spend time together or should i trust my judgment and stay away until i feel confident enough to know my dog will be excited to see her but i am still able to handle the situation. I cant help but feel maybe its abit of jealousy but i know im not going mad. Sorry about the suuupper long life story but really needed to release this as started to feel abit down. Any advice or opinions will help loads in just what angle to take or whether i should change my mentality etc. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm thinking 11 days is not a terribly long time to create a bond. I am certain that others will agree and give you some great advice about getting this dog to think you are the be-all end-all.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
So what do you do with your new dog? Just walk her? I'd start by looking at Mike Ritland and the collared scholar. They are big on engagement and building a relationship. Both have online courses you can do, just depends on what you want to pay.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm not a fan of "board and train" myself overall and even less with GSDs......in order for your situation to work...the pup MUST bond with you...not the trainer....you need to find a good one on one trainer....one who will "teach" you how to train your dog-may take a little research on your part to find the "right" trainer who understands they're really "training" you...i know you've already spent money....you'll spend more in order to get this right but your biggest investment moving forward....is your time and that's free.....to me your pup sounds like a good student with a lot of potential....IMO once YOU spend time training your pup....playing with the pup...just interacting with her overtime.......that's when you create a "bond" with her and IMO there's not much in the world more satisfying then seeing that happen before your very own eyes...the key once again is you must spend time yourself-it's not about money spent.

If you post up a general location some of the members here may have suggestions on trainers--possibly...further...good on you for rescuing this girl,,,she's got potential you just need to bring it out more....by personally being involved more....Good Luck

·
Registered
513 Posts
I agree with Cloudpump - engagement is key. Spend time play with her - fetch, tug, etc. Her world has been turned upside down. First she's with a family that doesn't seem very happy with her, then you (briefly) then 2 weeks with another stranger who seems okay, and now back to you. When I got Katsu at 16 weeks, she was confused as to why I took her from the breeder.

The suggestion my breeder gave me for the first few nights - make it all about her. Play with her (ENGAGE). Crate her in your room (if you can handle the crying...if she does that). It took a little while, but she's now my shadow and love of my life.

Best of luck! Be patient. See if the trainer offers classes for you and your puppy to train together. I would suggest spending time with the puppy on your own for a bit, though.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Feeling a little jealous of the bond that seems to have formed between the trainer and your puppy is absolutely normal and justified IMHO! But what you really need to understand about this is that it's a very natural response to the structure and training this person provided for your previously neglected puppy! Training, keeping in mind that it falls to you to make it fun and rewarding for the puppy, is a very powerful bonding agent, because as others have mentioned, in order to train your puppy you're spending time with them! As you build the pup's confidence through training, you develop a dialog between you, and you celebrate success together...which brings you closer! And this is why most people I know advise against sending a young puppy, or a very new puppy, to a board-and-train.

That being said, rather than worrying about your puppy's response to seeing this person, start building your own successes with your puppy! Teach her some new tricks, and by all means keep working on the one's she already learned. Play with her, get her out and do some exploring, expose her to new places and situations, climb on stuff, investigate new surfaces, praise her often and enjoy her company!

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Firstly, thanks all for the feedback and responses will certainly take it onboard.
Regarding time spent with her, apologies i didnt get into that, but we do loads, we hike go beaches shes also learning loads with me, new tricks etc spends loads of time out of the crate following me around the house teaching her fetching etc - we have a really great bond just gets destroyed when we see the ex trainer. If i knew this would of affected her so bad i would have defiantly taken another route with the training but oh well cannot change that now. So just continue what im doing i guess and avoid the trainer?
So what do you do with your new dog? Just walk her? I'd start by looking at Mike Ritland and the collared scholar. They are big on engagement and building a relationship. Both have online courses you can do, just depends on what you want to pay.
thanks for the referral i will definitely have a look at that. No, we do loads, so much fun, both mental stimulation and physical, loads of love, strokes rolling around being goofy together, great overall relationship for the short time weve spent together my life literally revolves around her, just was concerened about the trainer and if i should be wary of potential depression etc or how to avoid this from becoming worse.

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not a fan of "board and train" myself overall and even less with GSDs......in order for your situation to work...the pup MUST bond with you...not the trainer....you need to find a good one on one trainer....one who will "teach" you how to train your dog-may take a little research on your part to find the "right" trainer who understands they're really "training" you...i know you've already spent money....you'll spend more in order to get this right but your biggest investment moving forward....is your time and that's free.....to me your pup sounds like a good student with a lot of potential....IMO once YOU spend time training your pup....playing with the pup...just interacting with her overtime.......that's when you create a "bond" with her and IMO there's not much in the world more satisfying then seeing that happen before your very own eyes...the key once again is you must spend time yourself-it's not about money spent.

If you post up a general location some of the members here may have suggestions on trainers--possibly...further...good on you for rescuing this girl,,,she's got potential you just need to bring it out more....by personally being involved more....Good Luck
Thanks a million for the advice. Yes definitely teaching her loads and spending loads of quality time doing both mental fun stimulation and physical plus just chilling together. However im no match to a very qualified dog trainer but i guess if i continue to give my all, the dog should hopefully settle in no matter who she sees, just got to put faith in myself. I eill certainly have a look into a one on one trainer who could help me, good shout! But thanks again, you have lifted my spirit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with Cloudpump - engagement is key. Spend time play with her - fetch, tug, etc. Her world has been turned upside down. First she's with a family that doesn't seem very happy with her, then you (briefly) then 2 weeks with another stranger who seems okay, and now back to you. When I got Katsu at 16 weeks, she was confused as to why I took her from the breeder.

The suggestion my breeder gave me for the first few nights - make it all about her. Play with her (ENGAGE). Crate her in your room (if you can handle the crying...if she does that). It took a little while, but she's now my shadow and love of my life.

Best of luck! Be patient. See if the trainer offers classes for you and your puppy to train together. I would suggest spending time with the puppy on your own for a bit, though.
Yes definitely, my poor babe has been through alot. Shes great in the crate (due to the training) but i really prefer to just crate her during the night and if im going shopping or have to be out for 2-3 hours, but she never cries. Would you suggest any new games or tricks. She knows alot already, really smart girl.im working hard on recall so should could have abit more freedom however thats proving to be abit difficult, giving her some chicken hearts, boiled than oven baked as treats seem to have made her alot more keen during training or playing games (trying to teach her to be gentle with her mouth and not just bite at any hand that comes near her toys if were not training but playing) she just goes back to living her life and wanting to come back out of choice. (i have a 10m long line for hikes etc) low distraction she is great, moderate to high is just seeming unthinkable. I only want the recall to work so she can be free and explore more and have fun with fellow dogs that have me constantly leading her places etc. But any fun games that you could recommend or tricks for bonding would be greatly greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I am far from an expert, but my first thought is to enroll in a training class with other dogs. Check for dog walking clubs in your area.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
I play tag with my dog. If you have a fenced area it's great fun just being an idiot with her. I chase her, she chases me. It also helps develop a good base for other things, since she needs to follow me to play. I also like tug, most dogs enjoy it and while playing you can work on keeping her teeth off your fingers and a drop it command.

I sleep with my dog, we have treats that we share, grooming is a great bonding tool and I make absolutely sure that the time I set aside for her is hers and hers alone. No phone, no computer, and no interruptions. I'm not talking about walks or training, I mean that time (even if it's just 20 minutes) when your attention is focused solely on her whether to play or just sit and cuddle.

·
Super Moderator
6,083 Posts
There is an antique/junk store next door to our grooming shop. Scarlet and I go over there, and play a game where we sneak up on each other. It’s hilarious, and a lot of fun. I spend waaaaay more time playing with this goofy dog, than actually training her. She goes to work with me, and sleeps with me. I enjoy her so much. She just turned 2 this month, and we have an incredible bond.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Poor pup doesn't know who she belongs to ... training creates bonding but so does feeding and walking. Be calm with her and give her a few months to realize YOU are her human, and don't be afraid to let her enjoy other dogs as well ...its a different relationship and the pack will likely calm and nurture her a bit? Be careful you are not needing her to meet your needs for an affectionate pet right now and she will get there...GSDs are a one-person/family dog and eventually she will know she is yours. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts