German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in advance, I am aware that the first few heat cycles are often abnormal and aren't necessarily ~6 months apart but I was a little concerned because it is much earlier than anticipated.
My girl is 10 months old and went into her first heat around the 18/19 of January. She got through it without a problem and I thankfully almost didn't have to clean at all because she did a good job cleaning herself.
She now has gone into heat again around the 29th of February which seems really early.
Is this something I should be concerned about?
She doesn't show any signs of being unwell, is behaving completely normal, no difference to her last heat.

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
Scarlet goes in heat every 4 to 5 months. It’s annoyingly short, but it’s her schedule. She’s 3 1/2 years old.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It could have been a split heat. This is why most people spay their non-breeding females. I'd recommend spaying after he second heat (hopefully 6 months from now) if split heats seem to be the norm for her - as it can lead to complications like pyometra.
But wouldn't a split heat mean that the first one wouldn't have been a full cycle. because it quite definitely lasted that long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts