German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fiona is in heat. :eek: And I think she has developed attention deficit disorder. She plays with her ball for only one throw, then leaves it laying around. I gave her a new toy which is usually destroyed in 10 minutes and it still exists in 75% format. :help: Is this normal? Also, an odd question, do they get cramps like female humans do? I noticed that she was restless for about 30 minutes and heavy panting. I thought bloat, but that was not it.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Poor Fiona is just not herself - and yes, she feels as miserable as many women do at that "time of the month". Once is it is over, she'll be her usual self until the next heat cycle. If you don't plan to breed her, you may want to have her spayed.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mary Beth. I have not decided if I would breed her or not. But I don't like the idea of taking out something God put there unless there was a medical reason for doing so. Almost nil risk of an accidental pregnancy with her.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Why don't you discuss it with your vet - there are health benefits to having her spayed . Also the way I see it is as I suffered through many many periods being told it was a natural so leave well enough alone, - and happy day when I was spayed - so I wouldn't put my female dog through the suffering of heat cycles. And to be fair to both, I feel it also isn't right for the male - there is the risk of cancer and the frustration if the dog isn't going to be bred.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Dogs do NOT have menstrual cycles like humans! They don't work the same way we do so to compare our problems to theirs is comparing apples to oranges. We cramp because it's our bodies pushing the uterus lining out of us. Those contractions move it downwards, then through the cervix and then it makes it's way out of the body via the vagina. Dogs on the other hand reabsorb their uterus lining and the bleeding you will see is actually coming from the vaginal walls and is there to help attract males. (Whereas most men are quite put off by our cycle. Naturally our bleeding means we missed the chance to breed. A dogs bleeding is a sign they're just about ready to take!)

Not to mention there are some downfalls to spaying/neutering, such as increased risk of serious cancers like hemangiosarcoma. So you can't just take it from one side, you have to weigh the pros and cons. But I don't believe this was to be a debate about that.

Overall, my bitches have always gotten more clingy or they will want to be alone but that's about it. I've had a few select ones who get REALLY...In the mood. Will flag/hump anything and everything, these ones do tend to pant a little more and be a little more restless but overall most just get a little slowed down for a couple weeks and then they're fine. Some dogs have no changes at all. No biggie!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
My dog that died of hemangiosarcoma was intact. I don't think there is sufficient evidence out there so support the claims that spayed/neutered dogs are at increased risk. It can very well be that people who bother to S/N are more likely to take the dog in and diagnose it, than the countless owners who could not care less. This will skew the statistics.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Which is why you weigh the pros and cons. It's sad that people are allowed to praise the "benefits" of ripping organs out of an animal but if someone tries to give benefits to keeping them where they were then there is no "proof" to THOSE benefits. Personally, more than anything else, I don't see a reason to remove something that isn't causing a problem, which seems to be the OP feelings too. However, if you can't prevent a pregnancy then by all means go spay and neuter. Even if you can and you've educated yourself and feel that it's the right choice then by all means, go have your vet spay/neuter your pet. But I'm a bit tired of people being so one sided about the situation. Altering your pet doesn't make someone a good owner or mean they'll be more likely to take a dog to the vet either.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which is why you weigh the pros and cons. It's sad that people are allowed to praise the "benefits" of ripping organs out of an animal but if someone tries to give benefits to keeping them where they were then there is no "proof" to THOSE benefits. Personally, more than anything else, I don't see a reason to remove something that isn't causing a problem, which seems to be the OP feelings too. However, if you can't prevent a pregnancy then by all means go spay and neuter. Even if you can and you've educated yourself and feel that it's the right choice then by all means, go have your vet spay/neuter your pet. But I'm a bit tired of people being so one sided about the situation. Altering your pet doesn't make someone a good owner or mean they'll be more likely to take a dog to the vet either.
I have to agree. I have taken so much flack from family and friends about not having her spayed. I am tired of arguing. Now I am just going to say ... I thought you were pro-choice, my choice is to leave her as God made her. I really do not understand why they are so rabid on the topic.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
115 Posts
??? I am pro choice? But I'm also pro responsibility as well. I choose to have my dogs intact unless a problem shows, but I can guarantee my dogs will not reproduce without me planning it. (Not that I breed anyways) I have no problem with someone who wants to spay/neuter their pet either. Though I do feel if someone wants to let their dog roam free and breed to whatever neighborhood male gets to her first then yes, they should fix their pet. But I also would say that if you think your pet should be roaming the streets then you probably shouldn't have one. There IS some responsibility that comes with keeping an intact pet, though keeping them from breeding really isn't as hard as pro-s/n people try to make it out to be. I just get tired of people pushing others to spay or neuter, but won't let anyone with the opinion of keeping the pet intact speak up. I feel everyone should do their own research and come up with what they're comfortable with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts