German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came to me while I was cleaning the house this morning... I was thinking of putting a message on our front windows saying something along the lines of "In case of fire, please break these windows, our pets are inside."
While we're out, the dogs are barricaded to the first floor and these particular windows are right on the sidewalk so someone will have to see it.
Would this invite crime or actually give them a chance in case of an emergency?
I wouldn't expect anyone to risk their lives to go into a burning house to rescue a dog but if they could just break the glass it could help them escape.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I don't know if legally they have to go in or not to get pets out, but they make stickers (I have one on my front door) that say in case of emergency, these pets are inside, they are my family, please rescue them and it has a line for dogs, cats, and other. We wrote Frag and Emajean's name's there and when we wrote fosters on the OTHER line, then write on the sticker from behind the number and species.

I wouldn't personally say hey, break my window, but I would put a sticker on there. I think 9 times out of 10, if they CAN rescue them, they will.

We keep a slip lead sitting over each cage for this purpose.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
We have a fenced in yard so when I leave they go outside. Victor in the yard the puppy in the kennel with usually the min pin. I do have cats inside and have always worried about something like that. I put the stickers in the windows but it doesn't matter where I live because we live way out in the country. If we call for help it does not arrive until a hour later so I just gotta hope nothing happens. Living in a city I am sure if they saw stickers in the window that they would help. I just wonder if being loose or in a crate would be better. The crate they could carry out to safety or if being loose the dog can run to safety.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I have "fire rescue" stickers on my front and back doors, kinda like this:

I have one a lot like that one, then another one that has lines where you write the number of pets, which I like better.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
As a volunteer firefightere here in Maryland, I can say that if it's safe we will make an attempt to rescue pets. If conditions are so bad that it's not safe for us to go in, we will not go in for just pets.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I have one that my vet gave me and it has her name and phone number on it. Just in case we are not home they can call her.

·
Registered
604 Posts
This is my son while he was in training at a local junior college's fire science program. The fire department in that city had an on the job training program they used to augment their workforce (their small town was hurting for manpower), and the students needed job experience. While responding to a house fire he found this little guy running around inside:

He used to get embarrassed about this photo, until I told him that with his job skills this picture would get him hired anywhere he wanted to go.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
This is my son while he was in training at a local junior college's fire science program. The fire department in that city had an on the job training program they used to augment their workforce (their small town was hurting for manpower), and the students needed job experience. While responding to a house fire he found this little guy running around inside:

He used to get embarrassed about this photo, until I told him that with his job skills this picture would get him hired anywhere he wanted to go.
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I have this one on my front door. I like it as you can fill in the number of each animal inside. For other I have written 1 paraplegic man as if my husband is in bed, he cannot get up without help. Everyone laughs and says that the order I want them to be saved in is as listed :rofl:

VetShopAustralia.com.au Free Pet Rescue Sticker

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reponses everyone :)
Our house is laid out pretty much like this (except without the fences and not as nice):

And I'm kind of worried that no one in their right mind would risk their life to save them, and I don't blame them, they're barkers and I couldn't imagine what they'd do if they're terrified... So I thought if there are specific instructions to just break the window and hope for the best, it might give them a chance... The first floor is just one room, I'd hope they have enough sense to jump out the window and run away... But would something like this invite some lunatic to say "oops, thought the house was on fire..."?

·
Registered
936 Posts
The LVFD has on many occasions saved pets here. A rescue sticker will be fine without saying break my window as firefighters usually bust down your door anyway :).

Dogs are usually more of a deterrent so I doubt it would encourage breaking if they knew dogs were inside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts