German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I want to figure out if this is the breed, but it seems that when I'm sitting in the car and someone is getting to close to the vehicle the growl mode starts to kick in with both GSD (or could it be any breed for that matter)

Any feedback is appreciated!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Go on practice drives with someone and have him/her feed the the dogs treats as soon as they see something "barkable" but are not barking yet. Once the issue is out of sight, treats stop.
Don't attempt this when you are alone while driving. Realize that when you say something to them or even yell, it will be a reward for them: attention and you are "barking" along with the dogs.
Or crate them and cover the crate.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
I don't know about breed as a whole, but mine will bark at some people, but not others. IDK why. My male has a big mouth and sounds off at everything (he's getting much better), he is very friendly though. My females are more quite and usually look around and maybe stare occasionally if something interests them, but once big mouth sounds off, they may join him.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Neither of my GSD's bark at anything in the car. They are both very alert and watch everything, but never a peep. Even when I leave the car to run into the gas station they don't bark. I go through drive throughs with them and they don't bark. The male doesn't even bark when someone knocks on the door at home. The female barks every now and then and when she does I check, because its not her normal thing. My golden retriever will bark at people when he's in the car.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Hi all,

I want to figure out if this is the breed, but it seems that when I'm sitting in the car and someone is getting to close to the vehicle the growl mode starts to kick in with both GSD (or could it be any breed for that matter)

Any feedback is appreciated!
..and to answer your question. WD has never barked at people from the car. In OR you can't pump your own gas so I always made sure the gas station attendants fed him treats while he was in the car. He once barked at an fast approaching (racing) motor bike but that looked more like a enormous insect trying to eat him alive.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
It is a training thing. I am working on Fiona teaching her no barking in the car. She gets a correction when she barks and praise w hen she is quiet.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Thx for the tips you all. The info is helpful.

I guess it's a training thing.

I never trained mine not to, they just don't. The weird thing is that the female screamed all the way home the first day and I thought for sure she would always be a problem. My dogs don't bark at people on walks either, so maybe its all connected somehow?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts