German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been two weeks since I first spend a few days of panic. My pup, Sadi, had blood in her urine but our normal vet said it was a UTI but momma here new it was something else and I am thankful I rushed her to the local Vet School. 3 days later I found out my poor girl has IMTP, Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia, basically her immune system kills her platelets with no cause. She was already in the spontaneous bleeding zone because they were so low. She was home for a week and started vomiting all day and night. She ate a washcloth apparently because of a combination of the meds and stress. Finally back home but trying to deal with the even more meds given since she didnt respond to the first round. Does anyone else have a shepherd with IMTP or ITP? I feel so alone but lucky because everything I find on IMTP normally ends in the lose of a pet because it normally doesn't get diagnosed before other complications.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'm caring for a dog with this.
I took in an owner surrender in July, 6-1/2 yr old unneutered male. No vet records prior to 3-1/2yrs. He needed rabies and I caved when vet said parvo. Anyway CBC was fine following month I brought him in for neuter, teeth & hip X-ray. When I went to pick him up later he was bleeding from his ear, mouth and what appeared to be random bruises on his body. Platelets were at 0.
Fast forward to present day blood work is ok, from 40mg prednisone down to 20mg a day bad behavioral side effects. From the original 84lbs he was in July he's was 70lbs last Saturday. I'm hoping he at least maintained his weight when I bring him this week.
Obviously this thread is old but I'm grabbing at straws for this dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts