German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today it was really hot, so the GF and I decided to take Heidi to a creek to play. We took her to a place we usually go that's not crowded. Well after about ten minutes of us being there some people decided to show up with their dog reactive/aggressive dogs and naturally have them off leash. So we packed up and left. We live down the street from a very large park (more like a national park) that also has a creek/river in it but it usually crowded. On our way home I decided to see how crowded it was. Well as we got closer to the water, they had a check point with local PD and a Park Ranger. This is very unusual. I hike there almost every day and had never seen that. Being so hot, they expected the park to be packed with people, glass, alcohol and that non-sense. Well at the check point LEO's started asking us about Heidi. Turns out one of them had just been to a French Ring competition and was very interested on bite sports. I told him I had a sleeve with me because we wanted to do some bites through the water and asked if he wanted to see what she could do. I pulled over and we gave a quick obedience and protection demo with Heidi. They all loved it! They then told us where the creek was empty and said to go there and they will make sure we were left alone to play and not to worry about the leash law because our dog was obviously trained. Sure enough we had the creek all to our selves. About 15 minutes later a Park Ranger showed up with one of the LEO's just to watch us play some more haha. I must have talked to one them for about an hour. It turned a frustrating day into a great one!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
So glad your rough start to a day ended so well. Nothing makes you feel better then people being in awe of your pup,you must have had a smile on your face all day long...

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
How cool is that?! Sounds like a good day to me!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. It was a great day! I actually exchanged info with one of the LEO's. He has been looking for a GSD to get into protection with. I told him I can at least send him in the right direction. I also gave him a list of clubs/trainers in our area that are good.

Today was great too! A new club member hooked me up with a basically brand new pair of Schweikert scratch pants. Her husband though he wanted to be a decoy at one point but quickly changed his mind so his pants were just sitting around. This has truly been my lucky weekend. I should have bought a lottery ticket!

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Good that the LEO want's to do training...this months K9 cop magazine has a great article by Jerry Bradshaw about the changes in obedience and how the LEO K9 handlers should change their methods. That trickle down effect starts with people like you!
Cool score on the scratch pants too!
Instead of a lottery ticket I would have wished to trial my dog! lol

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I wanted to trial so bad! I'm just glad that since the trial was cancelled I still had a great weekend.
All that to-do about the cancellation due to heat, and it turned out to be a blessing in disguise! Things happen for a reason ;)

Sounds like y'all had a very Cool weekend after all, lol!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Don't you just love it when your dog makes you proud. Glad your day turned into a great one.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
You can be sure that every single minute you spent talking to the LEOs will be multiplied many times over as they will talk among themselves and their friends about you and Heidi.

If you belong to a club or group---you should print up cards with contact information(you can do it from your own computer) and the meeting dates and times, places. Same thing for any upcoming events. Keep them handy with you and in your car to hand out to people that you meeting and talk to just the same as you did with the officers. There is no substitute for being able to hand out information on where to go, when, and who to talk to anytime you meet an interested person.

You and Heidi might just end up with your own section of cheering groupies at the trials. LOL! (or more competition)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts