German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm new around here and don't post too frequently, so i know most of you don't know too much about my little man.

i got jager at 9 weeks old from more or less what i can only assume is a terrible breeder, and was more or less "forced" into taking him (whole 'nother story...i can explain if anyone's that interested). at first, i didn't even think that i was going to keep him. the first couple days he was completely unsociable and would retreat to his cage or whatever other small space he could wiggle into.

today, at fifteen weeks old, he never ceases to amaze me. he is, undoubtedly, the most intelligent dog i've owned to date. i didn't even realize until i thought about it today how many commands he knows. what i've taught him in actual training sessions: sit, down, stand, off (couches etc), heel, come, paw, stay. all of those he got down pat with only one 5-10 minute session.

but what really surprises me is what he's instinctually picked up; walking off leash (only in safe areas), "inside," go get it/drop it, "your side" (what i tell him when he gets in the car to get out of the drivers seat, lol), back up, "ahh ahh!" (which means stop whatever he's doing), going to the door when he needs to go out, sitting before i put his food down and when i leash him, roll over, speak, go to your cage. i'm just so amazed that over only a little over a month i've formed such a strong bond with him that he picks up so quickly on whatever i'm asking of him.

not to mention he had potty training down pat within about two weeks, he's overcome his fear of car rides, and his socialization has done a 180 in the past week or so (i was having problems with him barking at just about everyone). and he's has such a ridiculously mellow personality that i've never had any typical puppy problems with him.

i could go on but i'm just rambling at this point and this post has gotten way longer than i originally intended :blush:

·
Registered
224 Posts
At this age, they're essentially little sponges. They are eager to please and are a ton of fun to train. Enjoy!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Awww yay for Jager! Smart little cookie! I'm still wanting my pup to have a better recall off leash. I really need to get an extra long leash and use that!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awww yay for Jager! Smart little cookie! I'm still wanting my pup to have a better recall off leash. I really need to get an extra long leash and use that!
what works for jager is me clicking my tongue to get his attention then making a bunch of weird excited noises and running a short distance away. then he comes bolting after me. his actual command for recall is only good when i'm more interesting than the surroundings :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts