German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 month old is impossible to pet! I know he's teething right now and all... but every time someone reaches their hand out to pet him (even if they do it slow and let him smell their hand first) he still turns to bite!

It's not a hard bite, but his teeth ARE sharp, so it's not so fun when my 3yr old wants to pet him. He even does it to me! I've tried the "firm no" and giving him a chew toy to munch on instead of my hand... and still no luck. I really don't wanna spray myself and my family members with that Bitter Apple or products like that EVERY TIME someone wants to pet him. Any recommendations?:help:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

·
Banned
377 Posts
I remember those days. Its so common there is a sticky thread under basic puppy training. Here's the link.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/134407-teaching-bite-inhibition.html

I wanna tell you that you will work through this stage so don't get frustrated. And be really careful with your 3 year old. The puppy means no harm but could accidentally hurt your daughter. You don't want your child to come to fear the best friend they will ever have in life :)
Very good advice.
The next few months will test your patience and persistence.
Hang in there.
We almost gave ours back she was such a landshark.
It was tough going (at the time I didn't know about this forum) but it was
worth it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a three year old as well and a 13 week old puppy so I feel ya. I have some bandaids on my fingers to prove that my Gucci is also learing bite inhibition as well. What has been working is teaching my three year old to "be a puppy really loud" when he nips at her and she now has the puppy cry down pretty good. (LOL) She cries "IPE!!" really loud and turns her back on him.. he hates it. She thinks it is his time out when she turns her back so she is kinda pleased that she gets to be the boss and it has been working. She rolls on the floor barefoot with no nips..

apparently she is doing better than me cuz I have on all the band-aids on. :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very good advice.
The next few months will test your patience and persistence.
Hang in there.
We almost gave ours back she was such a landshark.
It was tough going (at the time I didn't know about this forum) but it was
worth it.
He's been trying my patience already! lol. He's doing things now that he's never dared to do before now. And seems like he's forgetting little my little his training. Might not even be forgetting, just might not want to be listening lol. Any idea when this "pre-teen" dog phase will be toning down?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Any idea when this "pre-teen" dog phase will be toning down?
Ava's landshark phase really started to tone down at around 6 months, almost a perfect angel by 7 months. Then by 9 or 10 months, she started getting into her teenage phase, and she's still a bit of a sassypants at 13 months right now. :) Just hang in there--it gets better!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I had to wait 2 months to pet my girl, if she WAS tired she would get up and walk away if she wasn't biting you, at about 4 months-ish she stopped doing that and lets you pet her now, she's nearing 6 months old now and doesn't bite at all any more :)

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Redirect to a toy, and wait a few months. :)

I do not miss those days.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If the dog likes treats then lure him in and let him smell the treat but not have it. Aim for his focus to be on the treat. Start by putting one hand on his neck and give him the treat with the other hand. Rub the dogs neck while making him focus on the treat and give the treat every few times, saying good boy or what ever you want to use when the dog is right. Gradually move the hand up to the dogs head. Then for a while any time you are giving a treat rub the dogs head first. I will usually not give an excited dog a treat. Wait patiently until the dog is calm and then try this exercise. Get him totally used to it. Desensitize him to being touched and rubbed on the head and neck.

There are probably other ways to do it, that is just an idea.

Why do dogs not like getting there head rubbed ? I would try different techniques until i got the result of dog submissive enough to be rubbed.

Heres my opinion on why a dog may not liked to be rubbed.

1: There are hairs on the dogs head which are extra sensitive to touch. When they get triggered the dog will back away or snap at it to go away. The hairs are there so the dog doesn't run into something in the dark and to give an early warning system to close his eye if running through brambles etc. I'm pretty sure if in a confrontation touch these hair would be a que for the dog to attack.

2: The dog sees the rubbing as a sign of dominance on the part of the human and doesn't like it. The dogs selve image doesn't include submitting to humans so that dog is gonna snap at anything that annoys him.

3: A dog knows once it is caught by the neck then there is no escape so the dog prefers not to be touched there.

4: the dog was not conditioned to this touch from the humans from day one so now isn't interested in it. There is no advantage for it to allow people to rub it.

I find a problem with fearful dogs is they don't like being petted, rubbed on the head and neck. But on the opposite side maybe dominant dogs don't like it either. I believe your dog is more exhibiting dominant behavior. That is totally normal for a confident pup. It's just you need to teach it the rules and who is the real dominant one in the relationship. You can then influence the dogs behavior around your children and other visitors. Until you successfully sort the issue I'd ask everybody not to touch the dog. Generally if you ignore the dog more and show it that it is part of the periphery of the pack rather than the center of the pack then he may submit more to your wishes. It's simple really, you teach the dog it is not as important as the humans. If the dog understands then it will respect everybody more.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Most dogs don't like being petted on the head. Better to pet/rub under the chin or chest. Best of all is a butt rub. My dog is 4 and still only tolerates petting on the head. Anywhere else is preferable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts