German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone imported a dog into the US, I have a few questions about the procedure and what to expect at the airport.

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe I will be able to give a blow by blow when I get home tonight, for anyone else in this position.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I imported all three of mine and Judge is joining us in January.

Do you want to bring them in from Germany?

If so, you need to go through a shipping company such as Gradlyn or Pet Air if you are not with them.

In the past it was possible to pick the airline yourself and ship them as cargo, that has changed. You have to go through a freight carrier.

Also, they need to have rabies shot. It has to be older than 30 days but not older than one year. They also need a health certificate from the Vet that shouldn't be older than ten days.

Other than that, you need the money to buy and ship them. You can either have the Petair or Gradlyn provide the kennel or have your breeder buy one. The kennels in Germany are frickin expensive so you might as well get one through the freight carrier.

Also, depending on where your breeder lives the freight carrier may have to pick up the dog which adds to the shipping cost unless your breeder is willed to drop them of there or meet the carrier half way. It is easier for military people to take their pets.

Here is the petair website, they have all the information you need to import a dog :)

Welcome to PetAir – your experienced partner for all pet shipping services

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Well, I have not had any problems at all to get them through customs. But then again, I am command sponsored and on the orders of my husband. All they checked was the rabies shot and the health certificate.

I'd say time is what she has to bring.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Two dogs. The shipper takes care of all the paperwork. All you need to do is pick him up at the airport. Balto was shipped cargo from Sweden and I had to pay a $20 customs fee. Boaz flew with me in the cabin and customs in Chicago didn't even want to look at him.

Balto was 3 months old and Boaz was 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Shipper should have sent you some paperwork. They take care of everything but send you paperwork (via email to print) so that you can go to customs at the airport and get it cleared.

Once customs stamps off on the paperwork then you pick up the dog from cargo and show that paperwork as well.

E-ze! (well mine was that simple as Jackson came in from Czech Republic)

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Balto's paperwork arrived taped to the top of his crate. Actually, he and his littermate shared a crate. The shipper sent me a sort of "claim" number and told me what flight to meet.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Maybe I will be able to give a blow by blow when I get home tonight, for anyone else in this position.

How exciting! What are you getting, a puppy or adult? Tell all please, pedigree and pictures would be nice. :)

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I Got her!

It was not bad. My friend went with me. Everything went smoothly except that she was supposed to come in at 7:30, then 7:50, then 9:09 -- we went out to eat, and when we got back, they said 10:30. She had to switch planes in NJ, and there were many delays due to airports being closed the day before.

But at 10:30, she came in, I showed my ID and signed off. She cleared customs in NJ. So there was not much to it in Cleveland, thanks to the breeder's attention to all the details.

She is calm and quiet and very nice. I let her finish my steak and baked potato.

She was very hungry. I got her to my friend's house -- about 1/2 way home, and she ate a big bowl of food. I drove the rest of the way home, and gave her a cup of kibble and she ate that too.

This morning I gave her three cups, and this afternoon two more and a piece of cheese and some meat. I do not want to make her sick, but she keeps looking for more. She did leave some of the 2 cups though, so I figure she will eat as she goes, and i will give her another cup before going to bed. Normally, 3 cups is what I feed my girls, but she is already showing, and since she is hungry and willing to eat, I will let her. Tomorrow, I will feed her two cups three times in the day.

Here are a few pictures, but I believe she is even better looking in person.

She turned three in October. Has had one litter. Is SchH1, Kkl1, AD, SG1 or 3 -- shown as a puppy. Hips a, elbows normal.

Pedigree:
SG1 Odessa von Aurelius - German shepherd dog

She was bred to this dog:
V1, V 21 BSZS 2010 Obi-Wan zum Kolbenguss - German shepherd dog

I am so excited by this. I have the koer report, her pink papers have her BH, AD, and Schutzhund results on them, and I have her show booklet.

I introduced her to my parents, but other than that we are going to take it easy until after the litter comes.

I called AKC, and they are sending me paperwork to start on.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Ah, so she's preggo? Cool! She looks like a great addition to your breeding program. She's a beauty!

·
Registered
959 Posts
She's a beauty, selzer! And that dog she was bred to? Wowza! She's going to have beautiful puppies. Congratultions.:D

Ahhhh, if only I was in the market for a new one. Little puppies make my ovaries ache.:wub:

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Gorgeous girl!

That male she was bred to is stunning!

Silly question.. on her pedigree some of the dogs have "BREVET" marked where the titles should be... what does that mean? I don't think I have seen it before, is it a show thing? I can't recall seeing it on a working lined dog pedigree before now... unless I wasn't paying attention to it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Wow

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Wow!! She is orgeous and so is the male she was bred to! I can't wait to see pics of the puppies!!! When is she due?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts