German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know because I know some "trainers" who train exactly that way. More than a few who don't even believe in saying "eh" or "no" or in any way marking the bad behavior. They just sit and wait for the dog to "get it right" so that they can reward. I watched one dog actually get up and leave the room - trainer told the woman to just drop the leash and let him go because to hold him back would be "punishing" his bad behavior. So she let him go. Called the dog. 2 or 3 minutes later the dog wandered back to where she was and she clicked and treated. I'm pretty positive the dog had no idea what he had done right. Or that he will ever have a reliable recall command but all that matters to the owner and trainer is that they don't "dampen his spirit" with corrections. Or they will tell the dog "sit" and if the dog lies down they say "good down" and treat anyway.
It's all about balance....

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
An entire article on correcting a dog without a single mention of the word "reinforcement." Pretty much a dismissal for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
She seem to think that her method is the only working method out there, what about kikopup, tab289 and just jesse197? all youtubers who have proven that positive reinforcement works when done right, its on video!

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Bad training is bad training no matter the method.
Someone posted a while back about training not being rocket-science. Sometimes I tend to disagree:).

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
A <good> trainer does not take "Mr. Perfect Come Command in the House" straight to a dog park. A good trainer introduces distractions at a gradual level so that the dog can learn to listen in an increasingly distracting environment.
Dog listens in the house, move to front yard, then back yard, then park with no one around, then park at a distance from other dogs, then closer and closer, etc.
Positive training is not permissive.
And interestingly, most really good trainers I know train this way, whether or not they ever add corrections or use compulsion.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I don't know because I know some "trainers" who train exactly that way. More than a few who don't even believe in saying "eh" or "no" or in any way marking the bad behavior. They just sit and wait for the dog to "get it right" so that they can reward. I watched one dog actually get up and leave the room - trainer told the woman to just drop the leash and let him go because to hold him back would be "punishing" his bad behavior. So she let him go. Called the dog. 2 or 3 minutes later the dog wandered back to where she was and she clicked and treated. I'm pretty positive the dog had no idea what he had done right. Or that he will ever have a reliable recall command but all that matters to the owner and trainer is that they don't "dampen his spirit" with corrections. Or they will tell the dog "sit" and if the dog lies down they say "good down" and treat anyway.
It's all about balance....

That's just...dumb. Seriously that's just poor training. It's all about the skill level of the trainer involved. What you are describing is like PetSmart style training. Not something a skilled trainer would ever consider, regardless of their methods of choice.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
You know, how easy it can be to tell apart the amature and the professional! The amature-s always tend to reinvent the bicycle by introducing new terms, moking old methods which doesn't suit their mentality and providing you with tricks. Alas, you would be wrong thinking the author doesn't have wide audience...

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
You know, how easy it can be to tell apart the amature and the professional! The amature-s always tend to reinvent the bicycle by introducing new terms, moking old methods which doesn't suit their mentality and providing you with tricks. Alas, you would be wrong thinking the author doesn't have wide audience...
No kidding...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I take these blurbs on business websites with a grain of salt in general. In order for business to be ranked in google and found by customers they have to produce 'content' with key words. It's very frustrating and leads to a lot of stupid content. Marketing has always been a whacky world google amps that up by the power of 10....just sayin'.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts