German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for anyone.

Bailey my 10 month old DDR GSD has shown signs of being aggressive towards kids and occasionally adults. He charged one little girl, and grabbed her upper pants leg and has charged the rod iron fence some kids and ignored others. Keep in mind I am the only person who has witnessed this. Also, I have had many people in my home and Bailey was fine with them.

I have been working with him on this issue for over 2 months now. He is at a point that he will ignore kids. I also have been working with a GSD trainer on Bailey aggression and how I respond to his aggression.

Now for my question - is it possible that Bailey is immature instead of aggressive? My trainer doesn't think so, she thinks it is all fear based.

But, would he always be aggressive? When he goes to the vet he certainly is in a fearful situation and he does not show any aggression.

He is not toy or food aggressive either.

Thank you for your input.

Mary

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I myself had a fear aggressive dog. He didn't start showing his aggression until he was 3 years old I believe. When he was a pup there were signs of fear aggression. Like when he had to stay at the vet's overnight he bit one of the techs out of fear, so they labled him a fear biter. Fear aggression is a constant issue. You'll always be dealing with it.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Yes, it definitely sounds like fear aggression. It can occur in any lines, but DDR dogs can occasionally have fear issues. The bad news is that this will always be a part of his genetics, the good news is that there are SO many wonderful programs to work with and improve fear aggressive dogs! Lots of books, classes, etc specificly geared towards creating HUGE improvements in these dogs! You can also try: "Click to Calm" by Emma Parsons. It was written to help fear-aggressive dogs. Also try the book Scaredy Dog... might be by Patricia McConnel, but I can't recall. Good luck with your dog!

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well since yesterday's posting I have been reading about immature dogs vs one that is aggressive.

What I have found out is immaturity and aggressiveness are two different issues.

Bailey is both immature and kid aggressive. I have been receiving great help in both areas from a trainer Richmond.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts