German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to pick up my GSD puppy. I've read "stay away from puppy food" then ive heard that adult food has too much protien.

I want something that is affordable. Royal Canin is just too expensive
I've looked at Wellness mostly but get confused on which one to buy. Ive seen Blue Buffaloe, IAMs and Bil Jack.

What exactly do I buy? What website? And please dont abbrivate because Ive seen this TOWT or whatever and dont know what that is.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
55 Posts
TOTW= Taste of the Wild. Good for adults but I've heard not for pups. I personally would stay away from Puppy Chow and Ol' Roy brands. I know several people that have had issues with them. Solid Gold Wolf Cub is good but expensive. I would say get the best food you can afford. Costco/Kirkland line of dog foods that are pretty good, don't know if they have a puppy formula. What you want to look for is a puppy food for large breed dogs. They have the minerals balanced to keep bone growth at the appropriate rate for large breed dogs. The regular puppy foods encourage rapid bone growth which can cause problems in some large breeds. If you do a search you will find lots of reviews of both adult and puppy foods. What's right for one dog/person isn't always right for the others.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Who said to stay away from puppy food? In quality dog foods, its really not necessary to have specific formulas per age... That said though, in grain free foods (like TOTW) the calcium is typically too high for a growing large breed pup. But otherwise, a quality food is appropriate for all life stages (barring specific medical concerns.) So I wonder if this was just what they meant?

Blue Buffalo is a good food. IAMS isn't, and if I'm remembering correctly I don't like bil jac except for their frozen food. There are quite a few wellness formulas, so I can see how you got confused!! This would be good Wellness Complete Health® Super5Mix® Large Breed - Puppy Health

And I don't like royal canin. I think its overpriced for mediocre quality. With good foods though like Wellness, you may get a bit of sticker shock. But when you're feeding a nutritionally dense food you feed much smaller amounts. Cheaper foods are full of fillers and lower caloric content, requiring much larger amounts to be fed. So if food A costs twice as much as food B, but food A only requires half as much fed daily you aren't paying more!

And I mentioned in your other thread how you will save on vet bills. Many people are lucky and feed junk and the pet lives to be 15 years old on it. But then you get the pet with EPI, food allergies, or food intolerances... And you spend hundreds of dollars or even thousands of dollars in medical tests and various things to try... Only to figure out the problem was the food. I lost one of my cats due to food intolerances. I did the spending hundreds on tests and trying various prescription medications. Then I found out about nutrition, and she became a different cat. Unfortunately she passed away from heart failure a few more years down the line, and we are positive the extreme rapid weight loss from when she was sick damaged her heart. I had another cat with severe food allergies, when I adopted her she looked like ****. She was having chronic URIs and broke out in scabby hives all over her body. Once she was on the quality food and I identified which proteins she was allergic to, she became a different cat. And then there is my dog Tessa. She has autoimmune dry eye, and certain ingredients in foods irritate her eyes and increase the eye boogers. Which is annoying with any dog, but mix it with the lack of tears to wash excess mucous out and it collects and dries, can glue her eyes shut, etc. Emma needs digestive enzymes to help her digest her food, and if I feed her lower quality food her weight drops and she gets intermittent diarrhea again. My stepdads cat needed a $500 surgery due to feeding low quality food. They linked the ingredients in the food to causing a urinary blockage. Some people are lucky, others aren't!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more great info! Thanks a bunch. With that being said. With the brands provided in the responses. Which website do I buy from? I saw someone post that they got a great deal on Petcarerx.com but they dont sell the stuff that was recommended. All they have is that is close is the Wellness for puppies and not Large Dogs/puppies

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in the puppy secton for feeding theres a sticky that is very very confusing on puppy food vs adult food

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I just spent $32.99 for a 15lb bag of Wellness LG Puppy dog food. Thats shippped to the door. Went with Amazon

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
The regular Wellness puppy seems to be almost identical to the large breed. The only thing that I found concerning is it lists "not less than" but not a "not more than" for calcium levels. I'll let someone else chime in on that, but it should still be fine to feed. When you start shipping the food the costs go up fast! Heavy stuff. So its much easier if you can find it locally, then you also don't have to worry about running out as well.

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
IF you do puppy food, do large breed puppy food.
One thing I discovered is that the very high quality foods sound great but = pudding poop for my GSD. I've gone with Best Breed which the club has shipped in. Otherwise, I would have to find a retailer and have it shipped. I've also had good results with Drs. Foster and Smith adult dog food. Some Target stores carry it but otherwise, I had to mail order it.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Im about to pick up my GSD puppy. I've read "stay away from puppy food" then ive heard that adult food has too much protien.

I want something that is affordable. Royal Canin is just too expensive
I've looked at Wellness mostly but get confused on which one to buy. Ive seen Blue Buffaloe, IAMs and Bil Jack.

What exactly do I buy? What website? And please dont abbrivate because Ive seen this TOWT or whatever and dont know what that is.

Thanks in advance
If RC is too expensive then look at Pro Pac Large Breed Puppy. Your dog and wallet will thank you. PP foods are used by professional dog people with excellent results. Every bag has a $2 coupon and the the 10th bag is free. The food is targeted to people with multiple dogs and that have worked with dogs long enough to know that fads are just that fads.

These are simple diets made with high grade ingredients. Eagle Pack also makes a good mid-priced food.

You paid $32.99 for 15lbs of Wellness? Crazy.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
What to feed our dogs is very confusing in general, let alone adding the 'puppy' thing to the mix. So you are right to be confused.

We all know we are feeding the best thing, and all feeding differently! RAW/BARF, or kibble, or large breed puppy, or regular puppy or or or or or....

You just need to read up on everything and do what is best for you pup and your situation (that you can afford too).

I will say do NOT allow your pup to be fat in the first year, you want lean and fit as they grow to help with their general growth. So the amount we feed whatever is also important (young puppies are a bit fat in their belly, but as they grow we don't want fat over their ribs/hips/etc.)

·
Registered
391 Posts
I feed Wellness large breed puppy super 5 mix.. I've been very happy with it. Good energy, nice healthy coat, great poops! lol

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
First thing I'd want to know is what the breeder is feeding them.

No matter what food you decide to use, start your pup off with same food he/she is used to to make transition easier.

When you do (if you do) switch, mix a bit of the new with the old at first then increase the new in the mix until pup makes the segue. New food, no matter what will most likely give the pup loose stools until he adjusts.

If you can't find your food locally, use Amazon or another site that ships free. The shipping can really run the price up, up.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
more great info! Thanks a bunch. With that being said. With the brands provided in the responses. Which website do I buy from? I saw someone post that they got a great deal on Petcarerx.com but they dont sell the stuff that was recommended. All they have is that is close is the Wellness for puppies and not Large Dogs/puppies
You decided not to go to the PetSmart in Bastrop or to Tractor Supply?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If RC is too expensive then look at Pro Pac Large Breed Puppy. Your dog and wallet will thank you. PP foods are used by professional dog people with excellent results. Every bag has a $2 coupon and the the 10th bag is free. The food is targeted to people with multiple dogs and that have worked with dogs long enough to know that fads are just that fads.

These are simple diets made with high grade ingredients. Eagle Pack also makes a good mid-priced food.

You paid $32.99 for 15lbs of Wellness? Crazy.
i paid too much?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You decided not to go to the PetSmart in Bastrop or to Tractor Supply?
Oh i havent elminated them. Just wanted to get a bag before the puppy makes it to the house. Couldn't resist so I went online lol I will probably buy lots of dog food from one of those if not both over time. Tractor Supply is a cool place

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
You won't find the more natural and holistic brands of pet food at Petsmart. If you need to order online, I've had good results with doggiefood.com. Their discounts make up for the shipping fees, plus they do not charge sales tax, which ends up saving me 9.5% , our super high sales tax in CA. Our pup seemed to develop some kind of allergies, has itchy skin. Our local pet supply recommended Solid Gold large breed puppy which our dog is tolerating well and the itchiness is decreasing.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
You won't find the more natural and holistic brands of pet food at Petsmart. If you need to order online, I've had good results with doggiefood.com. Their discounts make up for the shipping fees, plus they do not charge sales tax, which ends up saving me 9.5% , our super high sales tax in CA. Our pup seemed to develop some kind of allergies, has itchy skin. Our local pet supply recommended Solid Gold large breed puppy which our dog is tolerating well and the itchiness is decreasing.
Yes you will. Solid Gold is carried at Petsmart. So are a bunch of others. Many actually.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Petsmart doesn't carry Solid Gold, Petco does though. But Petco in general has a MUCH better selection of food. Petco also has buy 10, get the 11th bag free on many of their foods which helps on price.

Though if you can find it, or are willing to order online, I do love Solid Golds products. :)

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Yes you will. Solid Gold is carried at Petsmart. So are a bunch of others. Many actually.
You are lucky then. Many of the suggestions for food posted here are not sold at the Petsmart in our area. We have to rely on the independent stores. Sorry for the misinformation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts