German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still live at home, my family has split seventy different ways and I was raised with my step father as my real dad. Him and my mother got divorced a few years ago, and after graduating I stayed with him and have been in college for a while now.

I'm not sure where to start. We have four dogs. Marshall, my newest dog, the GSD. Hank, the beagle mix. Jerry & Jenny, two Dachshunds. I come home from spending Thanksgiving with my real father (whom my stepfather resents) and all of my dogs are gone, except for Jenny. I've located the other Dachshund, but I cannot find my Marshall and Hank. Marshall has his AKC transfer papers in my name, and his previous owners can vouch that's he 100% mine. Hank has adoption papers from the animal shelter in my name, and the animal control officers will prove that he's 100% mine.

My stepfather will not tell me where he has taken these dogs, and I cannot stop crying. I can't sleep, I feel helpess. I don't know what to do. I've talked to animal control, and they talked to him but he said he had given me a week to get rid of every dog?????????? I pay vet bills, I pay for food, I pay for everything for these animals, the only really responsibility he would ever have over these dogs is the land they live on which he's given me full permission to let these dogs live with me here. I'm only gone for 3 hours a day, in which the animals are usually kenneled and out of the way. I'm completely torn and he's holding it over my head as to where they are. He won't tell me, animal control says there's nothing I can do. My stepfather has alot of "push" around this county and the local authorities seem to worship him. We live in the middle of nowhere, and these country bumpkins don't seem to think this is a big deal.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Wow, this is a horrible situation. I'd check with local laws. I have no idea where to start. It seems like the decent thing to do is tell you where the heck they are.

Why are you having to live there? I would definitely be out of there and probably would torch all his clothes in the front yard too. Not that I'm condoning that at all, but I would be in a rage about now.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Have you gone to the police?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
If you can tell us where you live we can find safe resources for you (send a pm if you need to). I have to go out now but will be back with some help for you.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't really have any advice other than I hope you can find somewhere else to stay. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
even if it is on his property, thats still theft as you have no knowledge. Contact a news station asking for help. Provide pictures of the animals and make it clear they are YOUR dogs and they were rehomed without your knowledge or consent and you want them back. I would also suggest finding a new place to live.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Will contacting the AKC help? In case someone tries to register Marshall?

How about putting an ad in the paper?

Why would he do such a thing to you? did he give you an explanation?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Are you still going to live with him? I would get as far away as possible from someone that vindictive.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear of your situation....(domestic disputes are very tragic).
My personal advice to you...
1) STAY CALM
2) Contact the vets in your area (explain that you are looking for your dogs & that they were placed without your consent).
3) Post fliers around the area...ie.."US Post Office, Vet Clinics, Grocery Stores, Gas Stations etc.."
4) Place add in local newspaper...lost & found section.
5) Give "written info, including pictures" to area animal control, rescues & shelters.
6) Face Book your friends & post on Internet forums.
7) REMAIN CALM
People are generally eager to help in these types of situations....
Best of luck to you...and keep us posted.
...again...this is just my opinion and advice...
Robin

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Unfortunately I believe if these dogs resided on property he owned he may have the right to rehome them depending on where you live. I know in Maryland this would be legal though obviously not right. Did he give you a reason for doing this?

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
How sad the person you trust would do such a thing. I would go to AC and plead with them(all the legal/ownership papers in hand) and let them know the dogs were stolen. The good ole boy's will probably turn a deaf ear, but it is worth a shot.
I agree, FB is very powerful, and making a page or whatever may help.
I hope this resolves positively for you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow, how awful.. I would be an absolute WRECK if I was in your shoes!! Have you contacted other rescues? Shelters? Animal control? I cant believe someone who raised you from when you were little would do this.. I hope you can find your pups, and I hope you can find a way out. <3

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
1.) I assume since you stated you're in college, you are 18 years of age or older. An adult in the USA.

2.) As an adult, where you live, you are a tenant. It would be ideal if you were paying rent of any kind to your step-father, but even if you're not, you still have rights.

3.) Regardless of how we feel, dogs are property, and the AKC paperwork establishes ownership.

4.) Your position is that as an adult and tenant of the residence, your intent is to file a larceny complaint with the local police, with the understanding that said step-father is responsible for the conversion of your property.

5.) Staying calm as previously suggested, and in a safe setting/situation....I would outline this position to your step-father and offer an ultimatium for the return of your GSD and other assorted hunds. Ideally, you would like your pets back and no charges need be filed.

6.) Pragmatically, you should assume this would end your current living arrangements, and you would most likely need to anticipate an alternate residence.

God bless and best of luck.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I agree with what Wayne said.

Was your stepfather supposed to be caring for the dogs while you were away for a few days? Do you think he was resentful of that and is being vindictive?

I would totally give him an ultimatum: tell you where your dogs are TONIGHT or you make a stolen property police report AND move out/sever ties tomorrow (if this is possible... maybe your mom/dad would let you stay with them).

I hope you find your dogs!

p.s.... post an ad on Craiglist, "stolen dogs" with their pictures, because maybe he gave them away on there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The county animal control officer is willing to help, but it seems more because of a grudge towards my ex step father.

I think this was started because he remarried recently and she hates dogs more than anything. I've been on facebook about them and numerous people have offered to help... But I sincerely think my ex step father would go to the extent as to pay whoever took the dogs to not tell a soul. He would not have a problem with killing these dogs himself or paying to have them euthanized. Again, he has alooooooot of push in this area, and has the money to keep many people quiet. I don't know what to do. My family is no help. Zero. Please pray for my dogs.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
you want them back, therefore you do absolutely everything you can to get them back. They were given away without your consent. contact rescues. post ad's on craigslist and any other local site. I still stand by what i said about contacting new stations. if they were microchipped, contact the company to let them know they were stolen and if anyone tries to register them in THEIR name, they'll be unable. You are entitled to file a police report for stolen property and if you feel "pull" is an issue, go talk to a DA. and go further up the chain. It is ILLEGAL. If your step father actually cared about you, he would never have done this. if he actually cared about you, he would tell you where your dogs are and WHY. Contact any and all rescues and shelters and vet clinics within a 50 mile radius at minimum. and as others have said, get the heck out of there.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
The county animal control officer is willing to help, but it seems more because of a grudge towards my ex step father.

I think this was started because he remarried recently and she hates dogs more than anything. I've been on facebook about them and numerous people have offered to help... But I sincerely think my ex step father would go to the extent as to pay whoever took the dogs to not tell a soul. He would not have a problem with killing these dogs himself or paying to have them euthanized. Again, he has alooooooot of push in this area, and has the money to keep many people quiet. I don't know what to do. My family is no help. Zero. Please pray for my dogs.

help is help. at this point i would accept the help despite the possible reason behind it.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Finding the dogs aside for a minute - what your stepfather has done is abuse. The law defines abuse as "the mental of physical mistreatment of a person, frequently resulting in serious emotional, mental, physical, and/or sexual injury." Your stepfather is well aware how attached you are to the dogs and how much it would hurt you if he removed them from the premises. If what you say is true, it sounds like what he did was done in revenge, because you have spent Thanksgiving with your real father.

This is abuse. Simple as that, and you need to get out of that abusive situation. This time, he might have removed the dogs. What is he going to do next time you spend time with your biological father? Other members of the family?

You need to get help. Not help finding your dogs, but help getting out of that situation and getting to a safe place. And THEN you can find your dogs. Right now, your safety is, IMHO, the greater concern.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
You have another place you can stay locally? Have you talked to him about why he got rid of them? Has he ever asked you to rehome them or yourself?

I get someone not wanting a house full of dogs, but it seems like such a drastic thing to do unless he had been asking you to rehome them for awhile. I personally could never do what he has done and hope you get them all back safe and sound without much fuss. However, I worry if they are found he will do the exact same thing again or ask you to leave. Where they ALL your dogs and why did he keep the one?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Agree with AbbyK9 we were typing at the same time. Bringing these dogs back into this home may not be safe. What if he decides to cull them himself? I hope you have family or friends in the area willing to let you move in temporarily with your pups because they are not safe with him around:(

1 - 20 of 35 Posts