German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow GSD lovers,

My name is Jon and I found this site while doing some Google-ing around the net in my journey to get prepared to get my first GSD. I fell in love with GSD's when I was a very small kid and have fantasied of getting one ever since. I grew up with a variety of dogs but I always knew my dream would be to walk into my very first home for the first time with my new GSD by my side. I'm happy that this moment is approaching quickly!

I returned home from a combat tour in Afghanistan February of 2011. I am now engaged (getting married July 4th!) and my fiancee and I just submitted an offer for our first house! I've done a little research over the years but it's now time to prepare as much as I can so I can feel prepared and ready to get my first GSD in time to move in to our first home.

What am I looking for in my first GSD?

1. A companion! I'm going to be spending so much time playing, training and loving my GSD so I want one who will reciprocate these needs!

2. It's important to my my GSD will be very well behaved with kids, adults, cats and other dogs. My fiancee and I will eventually start our family and I'm looking to have my GSD be lovable towards our kids but also protective.

3. From the research I've done I believe the GSD I'm looking for would be a short coat, male saddle back.

There's a bit about me, I look forward to learning from fellow GSD lovers and eventually hope to share many great moments with you all.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
1>>> with training and socializing you and your wife are
going to be rewarded. you and your wife should participate
50/50 in all aspects of your dog's life.

2>>> i would have children before getting a dog. if you
want a dog for protection have him trained accordingly.
some GSD's are protective some aren't.

3>>>> only you and your wife can decide what kind
and what color GSD you want. a large part of the dog's
temperament is shaped by you and your wife.

thanks for taking care of the country and all of it's
people.

Hello fellow GSD lovers,

My name is Jon and I found this site while doing some Google-ing around the net in my journey to get prepared to get my first GSD. I fell in love with GSD's when I was a very small kid and have fantasied of getting one ever since. I grew up with a variety of dogs but I always knew my dream would be to walk into my very first home for the first time with my new GSD by my side. I'm happy that this moment is approaching quickly!

I returned home from a combat tour in Afghanistan February of 2011. I am now engaged (getting married July 4th!) and my fiancee and I just submitted an offer for our first house! I've done a little research over the years but it's now time to prepare as much as I can so I can feel prepared and ready to get my first GSD in time to move in to our first home.

What am I looking for in my first GSD?

1. A companion! I'm going to be spending so much time playing, training and loving my GSD so I want one who will reciprocate these needs!

2. It's important to my my GSD will be very well behaved with kids, adults, cats and other dogs. My fiancee and I will eventually start our family and I'm looking to have my GSD be lovable towards our kids but also protective.

3. From the research I've done I believe the GSD I'm looking for would be a short coat, male saddle back.

There's a bit about me, I look forward to learning from fellow GSD lovers and eventually hope to share many great moments with you all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi fello newbie, i am new to forum not GSDs,once youve had one you wont want anything else. Personaly i wouldnt encourage a family dog to protect, could cause problems when kids are wrestling with thier friends. Just one mistake and the dog pays with its life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello everyone! Just wanted to follow-up and let those of you who may be interested know my wife and I have picked our breeder and are only a few weeks away from getting our pup!

After a bunch of research we decided to go with Linda Smith from Vom Dortmunder German Shepherds. We've put our deposit down for a male pup from her Kastor x Narika "V" litter which was born on July 6th! It's been a great experience so far working with Linda who is very knowledgeable and friendly. We cannot wait for September 2nd to get here to welcome our new companion to our family! :wild:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hello everyone! Just wanted to follow-up and let those of you who may be interested know my wife and I have picked our breeder and are only a few weeks away from getting our pup!

After a bunch of research we decided to go with Linda Smith from Vom Dortmunder German Shepherds. We've put our deposit down for a male pup from her Kastor x Narika "V" litter which was born on July 6th! It's been a great experience so far working with Linda who is very knowledgeable and friendly. We cannot wait for September 2nd to get here to welcome our new companion to our family! :wild:
Congratulations on your new acquisition! A GSD makes a great family pet and all-round companion. That's why its such a popular dog - its versatile and fits in anywhere. We look forward to seeing pictures of your new puppy in the future. And welcome to the forums! :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Congratulations! I looked at one of her puppy's when I first started my search. I decided to go with another breeder in the end but I liked her dogs. My boy is now 20 weeks old. You are going to have so much fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts