German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ! I have a Pup German Shepherd she’s only 5months old , im moving to the city and my unit isn’t expecting dogs ! Im super sad about this so I pray she’s blessed with a new loving family to give her as much love as I’ve been given her !
Dog Couch Comfort Carnivore Dog breed

Dog Plant Dog breed Road surface Carnivore

·
Administrator
10,099 Posts
You can make the dog an ESA and then they have to allow it to live with you. Google ESA services and you’ll find dozens of options
no.
do not do this.
unless you have a condition that warrants an emotional support animal and existing documentation from a licensed mental health provider.
also @Jaswoods are you just sharing / venting… or hoping to rehome her on this board?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sigh. I didn’t realize this was an actual thing people did
?? Im not saying be dishonest…all im saying is there are dozens of online companies who stay in business by writing ESA letters and want to help people be able to live with their pet. It’s a huge need - people have to rent, and many landlords do not allow pets - if it wasnt for people having an easy way to get an ESA letter, you’d see a lot less renters being able to live with their pet. If the OP is honest and they say we can’t give you a letter, then ok…that’s their job to decide… it’s just an option worth considering before giving up the dog

also not everyone has access to a mental health provider or physician to get a letter through them -but if you do that’s a great option as well

·
Registered
Eska von den Roten Vorbergen
4,857 Posts
Jaswoods, some more info would be helpful:

Where are you located?
Is the dog registered? Neutered? Shots up to date?
Does she get along with other dogs? Is she cat friendly? Good with kids?

Knowing the answers to these questions would help potential adopters decide if this is the right dog for them. :)

·
Registered
34,178 Posts
?? Im not saying be dishonest…all im saying is there are dozens of online companies who stay in business by writing ESA letters and want to help people be able to live with their pet. It’s a huge need - people have to rent, and many landlords do not allow pets - if it wasnt for people having an easy way to get an ESA letter, you’d see a lot less renters being able to live with their pet. If the OP is honest and they say we can’t give you a letter, then ok…that’s their job to decide… it’s just an option worth considering before giving up the dog

also not everyone has access to a mental health provider or physician to get a letter through them -but if you do that’s a great option as well
it is dishonest. Those companies are writing fraudulent letters that are legally garbage. A service dog does not need a letter and is protected under federal law.

·
Registered
480 Posts
it is dishonest. Those companies are writing fraudulent letters that are legally garbage. A service dog does not need a letter and is protected under federal law.
Im talking about emotional support animals (ESA) - legally they are very different from service animals. There is nothing dishonest about approaching a professional to ask if they will write a letter to verify your pet as an ESA. Many of these professionals believe in ESAs and are happy to help someone who otherwise wouldn’t be able to live with their pet. And they will use their judgement and say no if they feel someone is trying to scam the system.

·
Registered
251 Posts
@Jaswoods what city are you moving to? Most cities have at least a few dog friendly buildings. Are single family home rentals (shared with other house mates) available? Those are often better for dogs, especially if there’s outdoor space.
I wouldn’t let housing concerns drive you to give up your dog unless you are truly in an intractable situation. Just make sure you’ve exhausted all the options first, assuming you really want to keep her.

·
Super Moderator
6,247 Posts
I'm not sure if it is too late for the OP, but for the future, I found that asking a realtor to help is an option. They often have listings of pet available rentals

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
You can make the dog an ESA and then they have to allow it to live with you. Google ESA services and you’ll find dozens of options
This is a load of crap. Legitimate service dogs , yes but deciding to declare a pet as an ESA just for your convenience is deceitful and wrong.

·
Registered
480 Posts
This is a load of crap. Legitimate service dogs , yes but deciding to declare a pet as an ESA just for your convenience is deceitful and wrong.
That’s your opinion on ESAs. Many people find them indispensable, and the need is large enough that there are numerous companies competing to meet it. It’s perfectly fine to see if your pet can be an ESA…maybe, maybe not - but the requirements are not particularly restrictive, so it’s at least worth looking into…that’s literally all I’m saying.

·
Super Moderator
9,686 Posts
When I ordered some In Training Do Not Pet patches for a harness I also surprisingly received a letter and some cards to hand out to retailers declaring my dog was an ESA .I just tossed them in the trash.It's just way too easy to give people the opportunity to make bad decisions.

·
Registered
480 Posts
When I ordered some In Training Do Not Pet patches for a harness I also surprisingly received a letter and some cards to hand out to retailers declaring my dog was an ESA .I just tossed them in the trash.It's just way too easy to give people the opportunity to make bad decisions.
It’s certainly been abused. That doesn’t mean toss the baby out with the bath water. ESAs are a good thing for many people.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
First off, trying encourance or represent this dog as an ESD is UNETHICAL.... it is a puppy..... All animals, since the beginning of time have been emotional support for humans. The online get a note from a "doctor" is a scam, as you do not have an ongoing medical history with that supposed doctor. And it should be a mental health doctor.... Secondly, no, not all landlords have to allow you to have an ESD. It's only for public housing and public transportation, even though airlines are now cracking down and not allowing them.

Return the pup to the breeder.

Reactions: ksotto333 and Jax08
1 - 20 of 51 Posts