German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kylie wasn't at all destructive while she had puppy teeth, but ever since she got all her adult teeth, she has just destroyed all her toys.

Her favorite toys all had ropes attached, but she started eating the rope and then vomiting it up, so I had to put all of those toys away. I still have the tire-on-a-rope toy, but she can only have that while I'm playing with it with her (usually tossing it outside) and we can't play with it for very long before she just wants to eat the rope.

She enjoyed her pumpkin that had stuffed spiders inside of it, but she ripped the spiders open and tore the pumpkin apart, so that is now trash.

She loved her two stuffies (stuffed animals without the stuffing), but she tore them open to get at the squeakers.

She has plenty of bones and gets 3-4 new bones every week. She gets about half of her food in kongs each day. She also has an antler and a couple of hooves.

I just bought her a squeaky ball on Tuesday and within one hour she had managed to chew it open to get the squeaker out.

What toys would you recommend?

These are two that I have been thinking about:
Amazon.com: JW Pet Invincible Chains Dog Toys: Pet Supplies
Amazon.com: Teaser Ball 8": Pet Supplies

I thought the chain would be good because she really likes toys that are long so she can grab one end and then sling it around.

I thought the jolly ball would be good because she likes the challenge of trying to get toys outside of other toys. I just don't know if she would turn her nose up at it since the ball inside can't actually come out.

She is 9 months old and 58 pounds.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The JW and Jolly toys both hold up pretty well. They do get destroyed, but it takes a lot longer.

When I buy stuffies, I pretty much consider them temporary. Nowadays, the shreds end up at the end of the flirt pole. Squeakers don't survive my pack, either!

I bought the teaser ball recently, and shortly thereafter Jack broke the tips off of both his lower canine teeth. I didn't see it happen, but the teaser ball ended up being my best guess. That plastic is pretty hard, and he would carry it around. A hard bump or a tug from Lillian could have done it.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Don't do the teaser ball Lakota put teeth marks all over it , I ended up getting the soft Bounce n Play ball and it holds up to her chewing habits.
Kong products are pretty durable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Toy Recommendation

Hi, Angie!

My cousin sells Chewbers and they are virtually indestructible. My almost 5 month old, Maggie, has destroyed every chew toy I've bought for her, but the Chewber is still intact and she absolutely loves it. If you'd like to check them out, here is a link to the website:

www.chewber.com

My cousin sent Maggie a medium one just after I got her, but I purchased the large one a few weeks ago because there is more room between my fingers and her teeth when we're playing "tug" :) . Even though you can use them as a food dish, whenever I put food in Maggie's she dumps it out.

Susan

·
Registered
910 Posts
Gabe's Kong ball is great. He doesn't like the classic Kong toy, but the ball and his Wubba are good. The Wubbas never last quite as long as I'd like, though.

Another good toy is the jolly ball. Also, despite others' experiences, we've had good luck with the teaser ball. He loves that thing.

80% of the time, though, we just play with sticks. He loves sticks like you would not believe. I'm 100% certain he'd starve to death if he could retrieve a stick 24/7. Sometimes I think my eyes are deceiving me and I accidentally got a Labrador.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Nothing Works

Fiona is a destroyer of ALL toys. She has the teaser ball, but it is soft rubber. She destroyed the inside ball and then I replaced it with another tennis ball. All of her toys must be played with me or else she will tear them apart. I have occasionally bought stuffed animals at the thrift store for her to destroy. I was annoyed that I would spend $10 - $15 on a toy and it was gone in 30 minutes or less. I have bought the firehose toys and the so called tough toys that are indestructible. Nothing works. So I freezer small water bottles half full of water and then she destroys the bottle to get to the ice. The ice lasts for several days. I pick it up and put it back in the freezer when she gets bored with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I got my pup a varsity ball.. that thing is indestructible, but definitely an outside toy. He just bites (can't actually bite down on it, due to size and hardness) at it and herds it all around our yard.

It's expensive.. but worth it i thought.
Home

1 - 7 of 7 Posts