German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i am very interested in getting a GS an i want to know if any of yall know of any good breeders in louisiana i can get my GS from. Thank yall very much:)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You need to be a bit more specific than that. What type of GSD did you want? What do you want to do with it and what are you looking for in one? What is your home situation like and what kind of realistic time do you have to spend on training and exercise? What kind of dog experience do you have?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I want a working bloodline bc i did over a week of research about these an came in counter with my friends uncles an find them very intelligent. An i want him bc i want a good loyal dog an whos protective but also loving to his family. I have good experience with them bc my dad an uncles use to raise them. I would have alot of spare time to play with an give it plenty of exercise. I been wanting a GS for about a year now an couldnt never get one but now that im moving out into my own house i finally have that opportunity! I will take this dog everywhere with me!!

A dog is a true mans best friend!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
hi laker,

sounds like you just need a nice healthy GSD, but not really a working line specifically. good to hear you are planning on spending lots of time play and exercising. don't forget about training too! haha

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Do you know if you're leaning more towards West German, DDR, Czech, etc? If you're going for a working line pup he'll probably need a job. Do you plan on doing Schutzhund or agility or anything with him? Questions like this will help you find a breeder that breeds the right "flavor" of working dogs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I don't really have a specific task for it. I guess your right I shouldn't get a working breed if I don't have no jobs for him. Although I would give him plenty of exercise an training an would bring him to my grandpaws farm like few times a week. Guess I might just need a good heathly shepherd instead

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just to clarify, every German Shepherd (no matter what line they are from) should be capable of being a working dog, that is what they were bred for. Some lines are just more suitable than others depending on the specific task.

If you find a responsible breeder, they should be able to match you with your dream dog, you just need to be honest with them and yourself.

I think every dog needs a job, an idle mind is the devil's workshop...or something like that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea your right. An every shepherd is so intelligent u have to given something new to do or else he will just get bored an I'm aware of that an willing to not let that happen. No because I want to actually she his parents an want papers knowning that in fact he is heathly. An I take back not giving having a task for him BC his task is for me will be make him sporty throw Frisbees with him an take it to the park few times a week to play ball an stuff

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not to be negative here (because getting a gsd puppy is an incredibly rewarding experience) BUT, just because your dad and uncle have experience with the breed, doesn't make you qualified to raise one yourself.

You're moving into your own home, so: do you have a full time job or plan to get one in the near future? Will you be able to take about a week off to properly introduce your pup into his new life? A puppy isn't capable of holding his bladder for 8hrs at a time while you're at work, do you have arrangements for someone to let him out every couple hours? If you haven't trained dogs yourself before then starting with a German Shepherd might not be the easiest task. Your are right, they are very intelligent, but that can actually make training harder--any bit of inconsistency on your part will be easily used against you. If you give into a gsd because you're tired of waiting on them to listen, etc...you'll soon have a hard headed pup who's in charge of you.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to do it right you'll love having a new dog. But it is NOT easy, it takes a lot of time, and even more patience. Depending on your situation a nice adult rescue gsd might be what you should be looking for.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yea your right. An every shepherd is so intelligent u have to given something new to do or else he will just get bored an I'm aware of that an willing to not let that happen. No because I want to actually she his parents an want papers knowning that in fact he is heathly. An I take back not giving having a task for him BC his task is for me will be make him sporty throw Frisbees with him an take it to the park few times a week to play ball an stuff

Sporty throw frisbees are awesome dude!!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Laker,

Dr89 brings up many good points. however so you don't feel discouraged, My GSD was my 1st puppy or dog ever. he is 1/2 working line, 1/2 pet line. and if i don't say so myself, I've done a dang good job with him lol. So if you genuinely have the time and commitment you can do it! read some good books, hire a trainer and come to this board with questions and you should be fine :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yea an look you have not idea how bad I been wanting one for so long now an have raised a shitzshu before BC she was our one a only dog an pretty much raised her an ttook care of her by myself. I know what I getting into OK I'm mature an a very responsible person an like I said have plenty of time for him otherwise if I didn't I wouldn't be getting one believe me.

An I will train him an continually read up in them for facts an better ways on training him an will indeed come an to the forum to ask questions if needed also

PS you know when someone is about to be negative when they have to say "not to be negative".

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Just to clarify, every German Shepherd (no matter what line they are from) should be capable of being a working dog, that is what they were bred for. Some lines are just more suitable than others depending on the specific task.

If you find a responsible breeder, they should be able to match you with your dream dog, you just need to be honest with them and yourself.

I think every dog needs a job, an idle mind is the devil's workshop...or something like that.
Nicely said!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm getting a headache trying to read your posts.

Since you're just moving into your own house, there are a lot of financial obligations that come along with that. Before getting any breed of dog, be sure you can afford to have one. The costs go WAY beyond the up front cost of buying a puppy from a breeder.

Any line of GSD you decide to go with (working or show) will require a tremendous amount of exercise. More than sporty throw frisbee a few times a week. They need mental and physical exercise. Do your research well ahead of getting a GSD. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm getting a headache trying to read your posts.

Since you're just moving into your own house, there are a lot of financial obligations that come along with that. Before getting any breed of dog, be sure you can afford to have one. The costs go WAY beyond the up front cost of buying a puppy from a breeder.

Any line of GSD you decide to go with (working or show) will require a tremendous amount of exercise. More than sporty throw frisbee a few times a week. They need mental and physical exercise. Do your research well ahead of getting a GSD. Good luck!

Thanks! Yea I'm aware of that an do indeed have the money

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
poor laker, just wanted recommendations for a good breeder

everybody, laker said more than once he has the time, money and commitment to get a GSD. like he said "can we just believe him?"

can anyone offer a good breeder in Lousiana for him?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts