German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Bissell vacuum for pet hair and it isn't that great. It gets clogged with pet hair easily and then is quite the pita the unclog. So I have decided to get a new vacuum. I'm interested in a Dyson but am open to suggestions. I wanted to get opinions from people here esp since you guys are all GSD owners and are in the same boat with the massive that the guys go through.

My mom told me that she read in Consumer Reports that the Dyson wasn't rated very high but I have heard only good things. I would like to hear first hand accounts esp since I would be shelling out around $500. Of course if anybody has any other vacuum that they like that works well at getting up pet hair from carpet, stairs and furniture I would love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance for any and all advise!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've also heard only good things about dysons, especially the purple pet hair specific ones. I'll be watching this thread because I also want a dyson in preparation for all the dog hair that will come with my new pup next week. (bf thinks they are too expensive but I don't think u can put a price on time and energy saved especially if I'll be vacuuming every day)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Everyone I know that had a dyson swears by them, including a few lab people, and I find lab hair worse than GSD hair - it sticks to everything. I want one bad, but I can't justify it since the house came with vacuflow.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Dyson all the way!! I have the animal(purple one) and it makes my carpet look brand new when I am done. I have 5 cats in the house by the way and 2 GSD. It is pricey but it does such a great job you will never need to get another one. Customer service is great they don't argue with you just send out replacement parts if something goes wrong. I have had to replace a roll brush only and I have had it 5yrs. My Hoovers broke all the time and the others could not pick up all the fur. Great vacuum you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I bought the Dyson Animal (Purple) when it fast came out on the market. It was far better than any vacuum I'd ever used. I was curious about the Dyson Ball. A fellow GSD owner friend bought one; loved it. I bought one a few months ago. It's fantastic!
Here's a tip, I'm pretty sure that the only difference between the Animal (purple) version and the regular version is that you get a few more attachments with the Animal. I have never used those extra attachments that came with the original. :)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I have the animal Dyson and it is great. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
well i know which one i want to get! lol

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
We just got a Dyson. Like it so far! Only downside is if you have hard woods you can't use the "beater bars" (they will damage the wood) and the dog hair tends to get stuck in the brushes so I've had to pull it out a couple times. Other than that it works great.

I went with the Dyson because of all the awesome attachements you can buy (we're such suckers!). The only difference between the ANIMAL and the ALL FLOORS is the pet hair attachement...which I've heard mixed reviews on. So I went with one of the old-school DC14's when they were on clearence about a month ago at Walmart for $289 (hey, who knows...might still be there).

And I'm slowly buying the attachments as I find good sales for the online. For instance, Macy's recently had the "home kit", which is normally something like $70, on sale for $19.99 recently.

I've found the cheap "hard bristle brush" works great on removing hair from furniture and I've found no need yet to splurge on the ridiculously expensive pet hair attachement to try it out.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I got a dyson too after reading all the positive reviews on this site - never thought I would spend that kind of money on a vacuum cleaner, but so glad I did!!! An older, basic CD07 (much like the CD14 I believe). I used to buy cheap vacuums, which worked great at first when new, but quickly lost suction and seemed to alway break . The Dyson just keeps on sucking, and does an amazing job. If it ever dies (have a feeling it will last a loooong time), I'm getting another one! And I have three cats, a fluffy bit dog, and a GSD - so lots of hair to keep it busy!

edited to add: years ago I cleaned houses for a living, which gave me the opportunity to use a wide variety of vacuum cleaners in real-life-situations, and really HATED a lot of the vacuums that Consumer Reports ranks above the Dyson. They just didn't work that well, the worse where the Sears Kennmore ones - what a pain, couldn't handle the pet hair in pet homes. Not sure how Consumer's lab tests were designed (usually, they do pretty well with them), but this time, they missed the mark with the Dyson ratings.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I have the purple monster and LOVE IT!!! I did ebay mine and got it for less than the store.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I bought a Sebo in Feb and love it. You can only get them at a vac store. They are made in Germany. My last vac was a Kirby. Neither are cheap but they last forever and work so much better than the cheapies.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I like the rainbow,too, though inconvienent to use.
My fav vac is the beam central, vacuflows are good too.

I have a bissell and clean out the filters with an air compressor regularly, it sucks fine.
I use several different brands(I clean homes) and the dyson is no better than the bissell I have, IMO. I hate the Mielle, price is waay high, and a pain to drag around.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Rainbow THE BEST around $1,800.00 though
Agree with that!!! They are amazing! But for me, the fiddling with the filling of the water reservoir, and the emptying - too much bother. But if you are okay with that, can't fault the Rainbow - plus, it sucks liquids, so you can use it for spot cleaning.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Dyson all the way! I always wanted something that could suck up the kids and the pets. Works great on dog hair, bedding from the little critters and stuff tracked in from the horse farm. I also have hardwood in some rooms. I just use the hose to suck up the dog hair and dirt - don't even use an attachment. Works for me.

Anyone have American Express? We got our Dyson with AmEx points.

·
Registered
626 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts