German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... and I am leaning towards the DeLorme Earthmate PN 60.

Any pro's or con's? What would you recommend, what are you using which ones are you rather staying away from?

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
Have a Garmin - love it....but get one wiht lifetime updates whatever brand you buy!

Lee

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I just replaced my TOMTOM with a Garmin. LOVING the Garmin but I wish I could load voices on it to make it more fun. Mine has Lane Assist which tells me which lanes i'll need to be in so I dont miss my turn. Will never use TOMTOM again. The second the warrenty was up on it, it started not working right and actually started taking me the opposite direction of where I needed to go so that sucker got pitched in the trash after it just stopped turning on.

Like Garmin.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to clarify, I am talking about the handheld GPS for SAR :)

@Krystal, I hear you about the tomtom though. We had a Garmin in Germany and now have a tomtom. I hate the tomtom and have the same experiences you have.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Garmin makes/made (dunno if they still do) a handheld GPS that my husband loved to pieces until it suddenly went missing last year. I dont remember the specific model. I'll see if he remembers what he had but it was a handy little thing!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
We use Garmin 62s, must say I really like it. Only thing you need to remember is that they do not come with the map software and that needs to be purchased separate. You can still use it without the map software but that means you will not be able to see any terrain features.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We use Garmin 62s, must say I really like it. Only thing you need to remember is that they do not come with the map software and that needs to be purchased separate. You can still use it without the map software but that means you will not be able to see any terrain features.
That is what I am looking for, for the terrain features. A friend of mine has that and it really comes in handy when you can actually see the features themselves. If I am not mistaken, the PN60 comes with all the Bells and Whistles. I've read conflicting reviews. Some say it's complicated, others are happy with it and I was wondering if anyone on here had it and could tell a little more about it.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I have a Garmin and it has been a life saver! I am one of the most directionally challenged people on the planet and it makes sure I end up where I need to be lol!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
OP doesn't want a highway GPS, she wants an off-road, terrain GPS.

I have had 2 Magellans and they were about worthless, could never get a signal.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I have always owned Garmin and I love them. They work great, update easily, and I've never had them break (I'm not gentle with them, so that's a big deal).

However, I am not sure they make anything within the category you're looking for..... so, I am not sure my suggestion means anything.

(I will just add, I work around electronics, including GPS units... I will say, stay away from TomTom... they break easily, update horrible, and just overall rank pretty crappy compared to the other brands. Magellans are another one I'd stay away from... That's all the 2 cents I can really add though. Good Luck)

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I have heard this about Tom Tom's, stay away ...

Also Garmin here, love it:)

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I have a tomtom for the car. Don't like it.

However, I'm not looking for a Car GPS. I am specifically looking for a handheld and would really like the Geocachers or SAR people to chip in with their five cents. Also, not just with brandnames. Give me some models so I can look them up and compare. I already do that but I'd like to have some "in the field" experiences as well.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
We purchased a Garmin 'Extrex Legend HCx' for when we go off roading. It totally kicked my butt. Difficult to figure the dang thing out. It shows every dip, water way, etc. But totally useless to me at this point.

I have to find a 10 year old kid...they'd figure it out....

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I would get something similar to what the team uses so you are proficiante when/if you need to manage it yourself.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
That is what I am looking for, for the terrain features. A friend of mine has that and it really comes in handy when you can actually see the features themselves. If I am not mistaken, the PN60 comes with all the Bells and Whistles. I've read conflicting reviews. Some say it's complicated, others are happy with it and I was wondering if anyone on here had it and could tell a little more about it.
Once you add the terrain navigator maps to the 62s it's awesome and it's easy to use. The memory does not hold all that much but it can easily be uploaded or you can add a memory card. It's just the initial purchasing that is a little pricey. But I think that Garmin gave us some kind of discount for being a SAR group.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would get something similar to what the team uses so you are proficiante when/if you need to manage it yourself.
Thats the thing... I can't get along with that GPS at all... it's an older model and I just can't seem to figure it out. I need one before the SAR Academy starts in February.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I love my Garmin. I bought it in Brandon this May on my way to Winnipeg. Right out of the box it worked awesome (I'd NEVER driven in Winnipeg before). It is the best $200 I ever spent on the spur of the moment.

I also recommend whatever you get, make sure it comes with lifetime maps. Usually $30-40 extra but maps seperately each year are about the same price.

Ok, never mind, finished reading the thread. Still, I love my Garmin.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts