German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any other black/tan pups that turned colors into adulthood? My boy Brutus, he's 5 yrs old now, I adopted him at 9 months old. Soon after he turned 1 his hidden colors popped out from under his mostly black fluffy coat! His coat also went from fluff to sleek. So I'm curious to see if there's others that changed in a similar way :)
You can also see that he grew a b-stripe as well! I absolutely love it!! <3

(9 months)
Dog Dog breed German shepherd dog Carnivore Companion dog

(Now)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This one was a month or two after he turned 1yr, when the changes really started. You can kinda see it, especially in his buttfluff lol!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Patterned Sable. The hairs are tipped in black...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He did happen to be wet in that other pic, but it still shows all the time. This is him dry, guarding me in the bathroom lol. And yeah, patterned sable that's the other one I was curious about.. Just cause I haven't gotten to see it before. I would love to see some others out there! :)

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Light makes a significant difference. Nitro's colouring can look different depending on lighting. Both photos were taken this month.

·
Registered
Nadja- AKA the BooRoo
932 Posts
He did happen to be wet in that other pic, but it still shows all the time. This is him dry, guarding me in the bathroom lol. And yeah, patterned sable that's the other one I was curious about.. Just cause I haven't gotten to see it before. I would love to see some others out there! :)
View attachment 576536
I’m pretty sure that Nadja would be considered a patterned sable
Dog Plant German shepherd dog Dog breed Carnivore
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Herding dog Snout

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beautiful pups!!
And wow, the lighting really does make a difference for Nitro! His coat really transforms haha :)

·
Registered
Vigo the GSD & Rooney the Mastiff mix
83 Posts
Both of Vigo’s parents were sable, he was the only bicolor pup in the litter. His once all black ears are now tan at the base and he’s got tan “raccoon eyes” when his face used to be a lot darker. It’s fun watching their coats change, he is almost 9 months old now.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Vigo is a Blanket Back Black and Tan, not a Bi Color. I would bet that the black on the legs will continue to recede.

Reactions: mere_de_tous

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awe, adorable puppy to handsome big boy!! :) That's very interesting tho, he definitely looked like a bi color as a pup, but now it's just black and tan ? That's crazy lol I love how they transform!

This was another gsd I had rescued, her name was Pepper 💖 She was 2 years old, and kept her bi color markings.

·
Super Moderator
9,650 Posts
most black and tan puppies resemble bi colors when very young..... the difference is that Bi’s don’t change much, as B&T do, sometimes dramatically.

also, if it wasn’t clear.... there is a color gene that determines if a dog is bi color or not, it’s just a matter of opinion based on the amount of tan. unless of course the parents were unknown and there can be variation among the guesses.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh she is gorgeous! I love how dark her paws are! And that little white patch on her chest.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank you Fodder! I wasn’t really sure what it all breaks down to. He has a ton of white hair on his belly which definitely makes the saddle stand out now that I think about it. Honestly I was kinda sad when he lost his “knuckle tats” (I’m sure there’s a correct description for that too but I don’t know it) ... but our Mastiff mix still has them and I think they’re super cute!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

Dragon as a puppy, Bi Color.

Dragon at a year old.

My late girl Chita was a Blanket Back Black and Tan.

• Love
1 - 18 of 18 Posts