German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things are great. Yesterday Finley our foster went to her forever home. We already miss her a lot. They are a very lucky family to get her. We arrived at the adoption event, the coordinators went to put Finley in her kennel and her new family asked to see her before they got a chance to close the door. Took all of 10 minutes to seal the deal. They have to foster to adopt b/c Finley still needs her girl bits adjusted so there won't be another generation of Finleys (a loss to the whole human race in my opinion).

On the Kaiser front I've discovered he doesn't like leaving the house. I'd take him for a walk and he would keep turning around and looking back and then looking at me and then looking back again. I would literally have to drag him down to the first turn before he'd start to actually walk without the constant turn around. A friend pointed out that Shepherds are territorial and that he has gone through 3 homes in a short time so he might have a bit of anxiety about leaving the house.

Flash of brilliance: walk the whole pack together. So I get my daughters and wife to grab leashes and we walk Hawk and Sparkles as well all at the same time. Hawk and Sparks are more mature and easier to manage on the leash. Kaiser has a ways to go. So seeing this mob of people and dogs going down the street should be entertaining to say the least.

The interesting observation to me is that Kaiser is a lot more relaxed this way. Other dogs and people don't get even a bark from him. He'll look, but he doesn't seem to care.

I'm still reading 'Power of Positive Dog Training' and have not begun to put it to work. For now we're just playing fetch and spending a lot of time together. He is generally so easy going I expect once we start it will be a lot of fun getting things adjusted to where we want them to be.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I'd guess the anxiety has more to do with keeping the pack together than territory.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That seems to be it. This morning I took all 3 dogs for a walk on my own. The boxers were their usual selves and didn't require much direction. Kaiser....he's young.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts