German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am a new member too.
I have been lurking and reading for a while, and the forums are great, especially since I am also looking for a puppy like everyone else. I have had German Shepherd mixes but this will be my first purebred.
I am looking primarily for a companion dog that I can do Rally and possibly Agility with.
I would love a male 8 week puppy but an older puppy could also be okay. I am most impressed with the working line dogs. What matters most to me is temperament, physical health, great parents and a good contract. I am an active person, run 3-5 miles a day and spend as much time as I can hiking and camping. I was raised in a horse showing family, but dogs were always a big presence, my mom trained horses and also showed dogs.
I've looked at the old Illinois breeder threads here, checked the rescues and contacted a few people mentioned on here. I'm sure I'll here back from them soon, but I think I want to open up my search to the entire Midwest, so if anybody knows of puppies, arriving soon puppies or older puppies in the Midwest, let me know!
I know this sounds pretty shallow, but I've always had black dogs and would prefer a color other than black. I particularly like the classic black and tan, or red and tan. Sables are great too.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
You haven't heard? Blacks are the best. :)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
have you checked out huerta hof? Robin is a member here, I believe they are in IL..Iwouldn't say no to a dog from them:))

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Welcome. I, too, live in Chicago. Can't help you with breeders. My boy is a foster failure from an all-breed rescue. If you are at all open to the idea, Chicago has a lot of GSDs in shelters and rescues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the nice welcome! I wish I had the nerve to try a shelter dog again. The GS mix I have came from a shelter and he has been a major project for a couple of years. I don't know if I'll ever be able to work through all his phobias and fears.
Hoping to not have to fix somebody else's mistakes for a change. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I second talking to Robin. Awesome dogs. She just sent the last of her working line/show line cross pups to their new homes. She's planning a repeat of the litter. Awesome little pups with tons of potential.

Cant say I blame you for being nervous about another shelter dog. There are some really great dogs out there in need of a home but finding them can sometimes be difficult. My first PB GSD was adopted from the shelter and her worst fault was growling at my husband or another male for getting too close to me. Never bit them. Just liked throwing a fit about it. The male we had put down in February was a GSD mix from the shelter. He was a box of issues that we knew ahead of time about so were better prepared. I now have a 3 year old female GSD that I've had since she was 12 weeks old and my newest addition has been with us going on 2 weeks in a few days. I'm hoping my new little guy will have what it takes to do schutzhund and any number of other things we want to try.

Best of luck in your search!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts