German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am afraid I am not a good dog owner. I love my puppy but i am not sure if my situation is good for him. I treat him very well but I have some concerns. Is there anyone I can speak too in a chat or on AIM? I need to speak with someone soon. thank you in advance. :(

·
Registered
31,965 Posts
What kind of problems are you having. If someone reads the type of problems you are having, if they feel they can help they can PM or advise in the thread. Also the age of the puppy, and if possible what lines (working, American show, German show).

Lines are not necessarily that important but the more info the better, as some lines tend to have more energy, more bitey, etc, and other lines can seem a bit more shy, reserved.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Where are you located? There are wonderful rescues that would take your puppy. Have you thought about calling the breeder? If they are a decent breeder, they will take the puppy back.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
she is in MA...If you'd like to email me, I'd be glad to try and help you, I'm in CT.
[email protected]

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Here is the link for GSRNE: German Shepherd Rescue of New England, Inc

Also, dog ownership is not for everyone! The OP was given this dog for Christmas (and didn't know she was getting a dog) and has a 10mo old baby. I think the important thing is to do what's best for the puppy and to be sure if she has to give the dog up that the puppy gets placed with a responsible rescue (assuming the breeder won't take the pup back).

·
Registered
31,987 Posts
Wasn't there a person in CT looking for a puppy to adopt?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
yes, a person near the ny border, was it a puppy tho?

·
Registered
31,987 Posts
I think a young dog but it's worth asking. I just cant' remember who it was.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I agree, best thing is to call your breeder with your problems and concerns so they can help you specifically.

Otherwise, there's tons of information in the puppy section about how hard this 'puppy' thing can be. Crate training is a HUGE help, along with tons of exercise and socialization.

If you do think you are over your head though, good for you for realizing it EARLY! Way easier for your breeder to find another good home for a young puppy than to wait until it's older.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Jax, it was FriendtoFido...they are near brewster ny

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for ur advice.......

Thank you all for your advice. I really would love to keep him. I just want to make sure he is being socialized correctly. My husband only has a few free nights a week & mostly spends them out with his friends. I know he loves this dog, but being a dog owner is a big responsibility. He says it will get easier once he is trained and I am hoping that is true. The puppy is such a good boy, I want him to have the best life. I know training a dog is hard. Maybe all this is normal?

·
Registered
31,987 Posts
I think owning and training a family dog should be a joint venture. You have a young baby, correct? Tell your husband you need some help and he needs to help train the puppy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I do have a young baby and that is the main problem. Because of her I can not spend as much time with him as I would love too. I really want to keep him. I love him so much already. I already tried talking to my husband and that is not getting me anywhere. I am in this alone and already excepted that. The puppy had 3 accidents in the house today, but I don't think that is bad considering 2 of them were right after he came in ( I think he wasnt finished). How many accidents a day are normal for a 9 week old? Once again thank you for your advice. My daughter is napping and bow is sleeping on me right now he is so cute!!!

·
Registered
31,987 Posts
Babies are alot of work. :) There are a lot of people who have successfully trained a puppy with a baby.

So, if you want to keep your puppy...

First, do you have a crate? If not, get one. When you do not have time to take him out or to keep an eye on him, put him in the crate. Don't feel bad about it. You are keeping your sanity and him safe.

Second, when he is out of the crate, until he is housebroken, keep him leashed to you. Once again, if you can't watch him to make sure he isn't going in the house then put him back in the crate.

Get some vinegar and water mixed up to clean up where he has gone. It will get rid of the smell. Lots and lots of threads on housebreaking.

When you put your daughter down for a nap, or she's in a playpen, or you just have a few minutes, take him out and play with him.

It's never to early to start training so for just a couple minutes at a time, teach him sit, down, etc. There are lots of posts in the training section and MaggieLeeRose is the wizard at finding just the right video on youtube to help.

And baby GSD's are landsharks! They chew, play, bite. There are a lot of threads on redirecting them. Don't leave him down unattended with your baby. He won't hurt her intentionally but he might decide to teeth on her arm. There are many threads on puppies and babies.

You are not in this alone. There is lots of help for you right here. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you tons for your advice! He sleeps in his crate and has stopped crying at night (except once a night to go to the bathroom) . At first he cried for awhile after I put him in. So thats a PLUS! Yey! I am doing one thing right haha

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Puppies are a lot of work...but I can't imagine having a baby and a puppy! LOL I agree...put him in a crate when you can't watch him closely. Having accidents is okay....he is a puppy after all. Don't be so hard on yourself...you are probably doing just fine. Ask questions...there are a lot of people on here who have some great advice. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i wish i could have a puppy trainer move in with me for a month haha

gtyjr6uedurft5776y;l'''''''''''
my daughter says hi lolol

·
Registered
31,965 Posts
Victoria Stillwell???

Nah, have you ever seen any person on its me or the dog, or ceasar that you would be able to be and still walk around with your head up in your neighborhood.

I mean really, you feed your dog from the table with a fork, and leave poo lying around in the bed room, and would face your neighbors???

You will do great with the puppy.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Hmmmm I have a hubby, 2 kids, and 2 dogs. While the dogs are primarily my responsibility he's still expected to help with them and the kids. Hubbies need to get out every now and then, but every night he has off? No no no- not happening. I would be overwhelmed and exhausted and thats just not fair. Puppies are a pain and a lot of work. They need to go out every hour, be watched constantly, need to run run run, chew things up, and are untrained. The more time you can devote to the pup the better he will be quicker. Enroll in a training class once a week, find your local dog park and go there often, and find friends with dogs.

It's definitely a ton of work and can be overwhelming, but you can totally do it, and just know in another 6 months the pup will be a lot more manageable. In a year the pup will be golden- it's just that first year like with a baby that takes getting used to:)

1 - 20 of 127 Posts