German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Anyone have experience with rehabbing a torn Iliopsoas tendon?
Doc strained his, so I don't know if this would apply with an actual tear, but it was at least a 3 month rehab for that. A couple weeks of just rest, then walking on leash on flat ground, then on hills, then swimming, and then biking at a steady trot. It was probably 5 mos before I threw a toy for him and did any kind of retrieves other then in the water. Always stretches and a little warm up before anything, and a cool down after.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doc strained his, so I don't know if this would apply with an actual tear, but it was at least a 3 month rehab for that. A couple weeks of just rest, then walking on leash on flat ground, then on hills, then swimming, and then biking at a steady trot. It was probably 5 mos before I threw a toy for him and did any kind of retrieves other then in the water. Always stretches and a little warm up before anything, and a cool down after.
Did you take him to PT? If so, where? Just picked Yana up from the hospital last night. She had stem cell and PRP injections into her Iliopsoas. She didn't have anything wrong with her hock so I wasted 2 months not restricting her enough :mad:

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
If you are looking for a rehab place in the Bay Area, you might want to ask Debbie (Cassidy's Mom) where she took Halo. They did swim therapy, but not sure what else they may have offered.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are looking for a rehab place in the Bay Area, you might want to ask Debbie (Cassidy's Mom) where she took Halo. They did swim therapy, but not sure what else they may have offered.
Yeah thanks, Debbie and I have communicated, that PT is gone.

We'll start underwater treadmill in a couple weeks but probably won't swim this year. That gets too strenuous, nothing can be relaxed for my dog :(

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
You might send a PM to Jax08 -- I think she's posted about having a dog with this in the past, if I remember correctly (but it might have been a muscular pull, not a tendon tear).

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't go in for PT, I saw Dr. Troy here:
Muller Veterinary Hospital | Primary Pet Care | Walnut Creek, CA Vet Clinic

And she helped me lay out a basic time frame for adding in exercise with him. They do PT there, Debbie knows about them, but I think she went someplace else.
Debbie went to Oakland but their PT left and I don't don't hear good things now. Can't get in with Muller for 2 months so will try Sams clinic in Marin.
Your timeline and and exercise is consistent with what I've read. Does Doc ever retweak it? Sure hoping the $4500 stem cell and prp injections promote 100% healing but I never got back to 100% with prp injections in my tendon.
We were going to start testing for MR this Fall. Oh well, guess it's an opportunity to walk nice on leash and train for a BH.

·
Super Moderator
32,370 Posts
Debbie went to Oakland but their PT left and I don't don't hear good things now.
The vet that left a year ago specialized in rehab, but they do have great techs, including Sandy Gregory, who is certified through the Canine Rehabilitation Institute in Animal Physical Rehabilitation and is on the Academy of Physical Rehabilitation Veterinary Technicians: https://www2.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ce/local_resources/pdfs/bio_gregory.pdf

You already have a diagnosis so you just need a rehab plan, which Holistic Veterinary could probably do for you. We only saw the vet twice, when we were still trying to figure out what what wrong, after that it was the techs who took care of Halo, and we have nothing but great things to say about them.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The vet that left a year ago specialized in rehab, but they do have great techs, including Sandy Gregory, who is certified through the Canine Rehabilitation Institute in Animal Physical Rehabilitation and is on the Academy of Physical Rehabilitation Veterinary Technicians: https://www2.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ce/local_resources/pdfs/bio_gregory.pdf

You already have a diagnosis so you just need a rehab plan, which Holistic Veterinary could probably do for you. We only saw the vet twice, when we were still trying to figure out what what wrong, after that it was the techs who took care of Halo, and we have nothing but great things to say about them.
Thanks Debbie, I'll give a call, way closer than Marin. You're right I don't need to see a vet, have seen 3 in the last 2 months :(

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well that takes about a year to rehab. So happy my dog is back to SAR training but will keep her contained until later this year. If any of your dogs are unlucky enough to sustain this injury, shut the dog down! Keep it in a crate or on leash only for a couple months and don't start PT until ~3 months from date of injury. I started my dog too soon per the PT, over worked&walked her and had a few setbacks.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I know of 2 dogs that rehabed from this and it turned out to be herniated disc in the sacreal region. If it is chronic get an MRI or CT of the spine

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know of 2 dogs that rehabed from this and it turned out to be herniated disc in the sacreal region. If it is chronic get an MRI or CT of the spine
I did. Very slight stenosis on the other side. Unrelated per the Neurologist. How’d those dogs end up doing, back to work/sport?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
One had a herniated disc discovered after about a year of being diagnosed with Iliopsoas issues. He doesn't do much bite work anymore, just gets an occasional treat with a trusted decoy coming out of the blind for him. He will continue to get tracking titles. His OB is great. As long as he doesn't overdo bite work his daily life is pain free. Surgery was suggested but probably won't be done as long as he stays comfortable. The other dog had surgery and was retired after that. But is happy and comfortable in home life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts