German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is so hard with this concept.

We went for two hikes this weekend on two seperate trails and took advantage of the warm winter weather. Both trails were covered with "deposits" smack in the middle of the trail or just off to the side. There were many brown foot prints on the trail, both human and dog.

It was hard enough walking on frozen trails with slightly melting snow but dodging poop made it every more unpleasant. There was dog poop everywhere and we saw several bags left hanging in trees. I can only hope that they were picked up on the way out. No wonder people get upset with dogs using trails.

I was walking the trail with my deposit bag and I received a lot of comments from people saying that I was proof that responsible dog owners exist.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I haven't seen bags hanging from trees, but I've seen them left on the side of trails. I assumed they were for pick up on the way out........but of course, not sure.

Yes, it's frustrating, especially when my dog loves to go investgate any poo in general!!!! :)

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
While I have a permanent roll of poopie bags in my pocket, I wonder why dog poo is so offensive and deer poop is not.

I mean, you have to watch where you walk or step in deer poop anyway. And don't even get me going on goose poo, its everywhere and NASTY. So watch where you are walking and clean up after your own dog, and try not to inflame the masses about dogs. Or dog owners will get banned from your trails so the anti-dog people can enjoy the goose poo and deer poo in peace.

As for responsible dog ownership, yes we mark the little box on the back of the CGC form saying we will pick up after our dog. Unfortunately, cleaning a bit of fecies, and getting your dog speutered doesn't do anything for me. Responsible dog ownership is so very much more. I think I better start my own thread on that.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I have a permanent roll of poopie bags in my pocket, I wonder why dog poo is so offensive and deer poop is not.

I mean, you have to watch where you walk or step in deer poop anyway. And don't even get me going on goose poo, its everywhere and NASTY. So watch where you are walking and clean up after your own dog, and try not to inflame the masses about dogs. Or dog owners will get banned from your trails so the anti-dog people can enjoy the goose poo and deer poo in peace.

As for responsible dog ownership, yes we mark the little box on the back of the CGC form saying we will pick up after our dog. Unfortunately, cleaning a bit of fecies, and getting your dog speutered doesn't do anything for me. Responsible dog ownership is so very much more. I think I better start my own thread on that.

Yes responsible dog ownership is so much more than cleaning up poop, but a simple act of not cleaning it up it can become a bigger problem I think the comment was directed towards the people who did not clean up the poop vs. me who did.

As far as deer/geese droppings, there is no one on the other end of the leash that is responsible for them. Poop on trails is a dog owner created problem caused by owners who intentionally decided not to clean up.

Deer poop on a trail in very rare where I walk. I'd actually wish I would see some because then the chances would be good that I would see the deer.

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
I take my dog to 4 different dog parks and it is really funny because 2 are just down right full of poo and the other 2 are fairly clean. I see lots of large piles but I'll tell ya those little piles are everywhere. And the dirtest park I go to is in the richer part of town. I guess if you have money you don't have to pick up after your little poddle.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think some people are just plain lazy or don't care. I walk my dogs on a paved military base running trail and will come upon poo sitting in the middle of the trail. The others I walk with and I just shake our heads. To me this is just plain laziness. Even if you forgot a bag or ran out just scoot it over to the side or scoop it up with a stick and throw it into the woods. We also visited the dog park on base and people are just lazy there too. 2 acres fenced, 2 garbage cans with 4 bag canisters provided and still have poop.

This posting is actually very timely as I witnessed a "poop confrontation or intervention" last week. I was waiting for a friend to walk with at the beginning of the running trail when 1 woman came up to another one (both in their 40's) who had a small dog and told her that she saw the mess her dog left in the middle of the trail. The owner denied it was her dog and that she cleans up after her dog. They continued to argue and it got pretty heated leading to racial slurs and curse words. This attracted the attention of a young soldier (early 20"s) who was finishing his run and went over to try and break it up, to get them to go on their ways and had to eventually stand physically between them. He tried to no avail and we ended up flaging down the MP's driving by. The MP's in very polite words told them to go on their way, they can't arrest anyone for not picking up poo unless they see it and to avoid each other from now on. I real kicker to this whole sad story is that we came upon the incriminating dog poop smack in the middle of the trail and it was a large pile that was physically impossible for the Scottie in question to have left.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
The people at the dog parks are pretty good about picking up the dog poop on the trails, but on the sides of the trails it's kind of messy and I never go to the dog park in spring because when like 10 layers of dog poop starts to finally melt, there are literally ponds of poop water everywhere. It's disgusting.

What's the worst is the normal people who walk their dogs. I feel so, so sad when I see poop on someone's front lawn by the curb, especially when it's a well kept lawn. They probably hate dog owners enough already for wrecking their lawn with urine spots. What's even worse than that is people letting their dogs poop on the playground of elementary schools. It's seriously EVERYWHERE.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It is EVERYWHERE and I just don't understand it. It only takes seconds to clean up after your dog. There was poop in the middle of the sidewalk going into my vets office when I took Bailey last week. They have bags and a can out there. Just pick it up!!! :mad: If people physically can't bend and pick it up they could at least tell someone so no one steps in it.

I do think that most of it is just lazy people. I have poop bags in the pockets of just about everything I own. I'm always ready just in case my dogs go. Like I said, it only takes seconds to bend and pick it up and it is the responsible thing to do.

·
Registered
325 Posts
What is so hard with this concept.

We went for two hikes this weekend on two seperate trails and took advantage of the warm winter weather. Both trails were covered with "deposits" smack in the middle of the trail or just off to the side. There were many brown foot prints on the trail, both human and dog.

It was hard enough walking on frozen trails with slightly melting snow but dodging poop made it every more unpleasant. There was dog poop everywhere and we saw several bags left hanging in trees. I can only hope that they were picked up on the way out. No wonder people get upset with dogs using trails.

I was walking the trail with my deposit bag and I received a lot of comments from people saying that I was proof that responsible dog owners exist.
I don’t think your problem is with us here or any other owners forum, but with the people who IS NOT HERE, I can tell that people looking for information about the right care of their dogs in forums like this is more interested in keep the places open to take our dogs and by consequence more responsible with the disposal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts