German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have cat(s) & dog(s), how would you react if your cat scratched your dog or your dog attacked your cat, and meant much harm? Would you get rid of one of them, or try to resolve the problem?

Also, I would like to add something else to this topic. It's like a subtopic.

So, my father and I were watching TV and the conversation went something like this:

*Father and Daughter watches Cesar Millan as he trains a Pit Bull or Bully breed*
*Watches as Bully breed expresses food aggression*

Father: "What the crap? There's no way in the world I'd keep a dog like that. If that dog were to bite me or growl at me and meant harm, I'd kill em."

Me: "!!! But that dog has problems. You mean to tell me you'd kill a dog that has problems that can be corrected?"

Father: "First off, that kind of dog (he means breed) is born to fight and bite. I wouldn't want that kind of dog and neither should you. Something happens in that dog's mind and he just snaps. It can happen anytime. My friend had some type of dog and one night he came home and the dog growled and snapped at him. He had to run from the dog to get in the house. The next morning, he blew that dog up. He was a threat to his kids and a threat to him. It's like having a tiger as a pet. Second off, it's different when a dog is scared or something, but if that dog is going to attack you, kill him before he kills or hurts you or someone else."

Me: "How does your friend know something wasn't wrong with the dog? Like rabies?"

Father: "Okay, he got rabies and he attack you. What do you do? You shoot em, just like the boy shot Yeller."

Me: "And what if rabies is curable?"

Father: "You gon risk your life to get that dog to the vet? You gon risk getting bit and getting rabies?"

Me: " . . ."

Father: "But anyway, when something snap at you once, it's gon do it again. If my friend hadn't of killed that dog, he would have got him someday. He would have turned on him again."

*End of conversation*

I don't agree with my father and neither does my mother. However, I'm wondering, is he right? I mean, I started a thread and someone did confirm some breeds are bred to fight and do work. However, I know any dog, even a lab can turn on anyone. I still want a GSD because I know not all GSDs are like that and there's a GSD out there that is as gentle as a lamb and a lab that's as vicious as a tiger.

Can I just get some feedback or something?

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
My kitten and my boyfriend's cats scratch Frag all the time meaning to do harm. He has scars on his face, but he tolerates it (and I secretly think he gets off on the pain) so I wouldn't rehome them. If he tried hurting the cat seriously and it wasn't an accident, I would probably rehome the cat or keep them completely separate.

On that note; dogs do NOT just snap. Unless they have rage syndrom, which is very unlikely. Your dad's argument has no merit.

That said, if my dog was displaying rabies-like behavior (there is a difference between that and rage syndrom and I KNOW it) I would shoot him. I have dealt with dogs with rabies and it is NOT COOL. As far as I know there is not a cure for rabies, correct?

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Of course you can. You can take the merit if it helps.

You can also let him know that a lot of people misread warning signs that dogs show because they don't understand dog language well- ears pinned back, drooling, licking their lips, laying down are all submission/appeasment signs that mean the dog is uncomfortable. People think it's cute and get in their face or push their dog around/force him to do something, and they growl and people ignore it and then they "snap" which was not a snap at all because there were TONS of warning signs. Also, you should know (but probably wouldn't help telling him) that there is speculation that in some bully breeds and the like that warning signs such as growling have been bred out of them, but they will almost always still show signs of being uncomfortable with the situation like trying to get away, ears pinned back, tail between legs, etc.

Then there are the people that think it's funny when their dog growls and mess with him so much/correct him for growling that he decides he shouldn't growl anymore and goes straight to the bite- still the human's fault.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
in the case of dog vs cat or vice versa. it really would depend on the situation. I have both dogs and cats. In the past we've removed a dog from our house because he was dangerously aggressive towards our cats and becoming aggressive toward us. He was placed back home with his original owner and is still with them because he doesnt behave that way with them. My cats were here with us before my dogs were so they have the right to stick around. if a dog is going to be aggressive towards a cat, you either need to keep them seperated and supervised at all times or one needs to be rehomed in a safer situation. In my house, a dog comes into my home and cant get along with my cats, the dog will be rehomed because my cats were here first. I dont know if that answers your question or not. Its really one of those case by case things.

regarding your sidenote, i do agree that your father is wrong. Dogs that are bred for fighting are generally bred to be handler friendly. Pit bull breeds are a classic case. They're very people friendly dogs, one of the most loyal, but their history is animal aggression. I think your dad needs to learn some facts before he makes claims like that. The most common issue with dogs biting people, is the people didnt read the dog correctly (this is if they know dogs, not just claim they do) or the person ignored obvious warnings given by the dog. Someone else will be able to better explain it than i am. Hope that helps some. But its mindsets like that which make us always tell someone to please research the breed thoroughly and speak with owners and breeders because what you hear from people who DONT have animals can be so far off the scope of reality, you'd be getting very incorrect information. One of the things as GSD owners we face regularly is people being afraid of the breed simply because of its history in police and military work. Those who arent afraid of the breed have either had the breed in the past or understand that what you see in those situations isnt always standard. We love people on this board who come asking questions to learn and want to change their perspective of what most people see as highly intimidating as far as dogs go.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
My kitten and my boyfriend's cats scratch Frag all the time meaning to do harm. He has scars on his face, but he tolerates it (and I secretly think he gets off on the pain) so I wouldn't rehome them. If he tried hurting the cat seriously and it wasn't an accident, I would probably rehome the cat or keep them completely separate.

On that note; dogs do NOT just snap. Unless they have rage syndrom, which is very unlikely. Your dad's argument has no merit.

That said, if my dog was displaying rabies-like behavior (there is a difference between that and rage syndrom and I KNOW it) I would shoot him. I have dealt with dogs with rabies and it is NOT COOL. As far as I know there is not a cure for rabies, correct?

correct.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Oh, you can also let your dad know that if his friend had to literally run from a growling snapping aggressive dog that was his pet (even though I know stories can get skewed) then it is actually very likely that the dog did have a neurological issue or something like rage syndrom. It loosely fits the description.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. I'll make sure I tell him what you guys are saying.

I told him I was getting a GSD and he already wants nothing to do with her, even while she is a puppy. It's because he's had bad experiences with certain breeds.

Like for example, one of my friends has a dog that is half wolf, half malamute and he won't even come near him.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
That's just silly. Domesticated dogs (and hybrids) are generally fine with people. It's other dogs that they may have issues with.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Okay. I'll make sure I tell him what you guys are saying.

I told him I was getting a GSD and he already wants nothing to do with her, even while she is a puppy. It's because he's had bad experiences with certain breeds.

Like for example, one of my friends has a dog that is half wolf, half malamute and he won't even come near him.

i dont do chows, akitas, basically anything in the spitz family. I dont like their personality. They're not the breeds for me. If they work great for other people thats wonderful. Had a friend who was dead set on getting an akita. They found one at a shelter and adopted her. She turned out to be insanely aggressive towards their other dog and it only got worse and escalated to not just being aggressive towards their other dog. The returned her to the shelter and said flat out she should never have been put up for adoption as she's not safe to be around. I absolutely 100% refused to take my kids anywhere near their house as long as they had the mongrel. Some breeds are just not something i trust. I love animals but certain breeds i dont just dont trust. Everyone has a breed they dont trust or like. However, it sounds to me like your father is just against all dogs. If he's against you having a GSD even as a pup, it may be best you just keep the pup away from the negative influence. But, she may also be who has the power to change his perspective. Have you tried flat out asking him truthfully what his problem REALLY is?

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I was raised with a Pitbull/Chow mix (can you say worst breed combo EVER!?) and he was the most awesome dog. His mom was owned by my parents and she was the chow and she was pretty awesome herself. His dad was also ours and was the pit, who was also awesome. I love all of those dogs will all my heart for not eating me when my parents didn't care what I was doing with such powerful, sometimes tempermental breeds.

My aunt had a chow that bit my cousin bad.

I'll never own a chow or akita either, just because they aren't my cup of tea. I wouldn't have a problem working with either though. After being bitten by an 80lb bully breed, I'm pretty fearless when it comes to sketchy breeds.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I was raised with a Pitbull/Chow mix (can you say worst breed combo EVER!?) and he was the most awesome dog. His mom was owned by my parents and she was the chow and she was pretty awesome herself. His dad was also ours and was the pit, who was also awesome. I love all of those dogs will all my heart for not eating me when my parents didn't care what I was doing with such powerful, sometimes tempermental breeds.

My aunt had a chow that bit my cousin bad.

I'll never own a chow or akita either, just because they aren't my cup of tea. I wouldn't have a problem working with either though. After being bitten by an 80lb bully breed, I'm pretty fearless when it comes to sketchy breeds.

see some of them are pretty cool dogs. I like the various pit breeds. They're sweet dogs and totally awesome. One of my things regarding chows and akitas and those breeds is photographic memory. A dog with that kind of memory is a liability waiting to happen IMO. and to use you're phrase "they're arent my cup of tea" either. german shepherds are enough work. i dont need a dog that is 100 times more work than that. Just as i'm not a fan of small dogs. I love hearing about Ozzy as he's totally adorable and so unlike a pom. and i think i would be happy having a papillion. I love those ears. Little butterfly dog.

also with two kids, sketchy dogs are a no no for me. Not willing to take that chance.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I know what you mean.

For me it's not so much that I'M afraid of them, but they're very independent; so I have to change my training methods to appease them constantly and keep them going/motivated. They're likely dog aggressive. They have high prey drive (Akitas anyway). It's unlikely they'll be safe with kids if I raise them.

I love pits and papillions[:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I know what you mean.

For me it's not so much that I'M afraid of them, but they're very independent; so I have to change my training methods to appease them constantly and keep them going/motivated. They're likely dog aggressive. They have high prey drive (Akitas anyway). It's unlikely they'll be safe with kids if I raise them.

I love pits and papillions[:

I dont have the patience for breeds so independent its pretty much useless to teach a recall. Doesnt matter how loyal they're supposed to be. They dont come when called for any number of reasons, they have no place in my home. GSDs are awesome because they're loyal and intelligent with some independence but not so much you have issues in what could be a dangerous situation. and you can work with them on aggression issues so you at least can see when a situation can be a bad one. motivated (unless you have a Shelby in your house). Great all around for us! For me they have the right mix of independent/attached its perfect.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Your dad is so wrong. Dogs do not just snap without an underlying problem. Most the of the dogs that supposedly are doing this, have actually been building up to it and the owners have turned a blind eye to it and the problem is the owners fault due to lack of training or extremely poor leadership. Some of these dogs that have bitten someone can be fixed with training, but I feel most of them are so mentally damaged by that point that they generally can't be trusted again.

Various breeds require more training and leadership than others. It's not the dog's fault that the owner doesn't provide it.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Your dad is so wrong. Dogs do not just snap without an underlying problem. Most the of the dogs that supposedly are doing this, have actually been building up to it and the owners have turned a blind eye to it and the problem is the owners fault due to lack of training or extremely poor leadership. Some of these dogs that have bitten someone can be fixed with training, but I feel most of them are so mentally damaged by that point that they generally can't be trusted again.

Various breeds require more training and leadership than others. It's not the dog's fault that the owner doesn't provide it.

or both. I completely agree with you on this.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have 3 cats and of course Stark, my GSD.

I also had/have cats as fosters from time to time, some older cats and most kittens under 12 weeks of age.

All of my cats have "attacked" Stark, two are declawed so they bite and swat at him (they hit hard with those little paws!) and the other is his best friend who when gets tired of his shinanigans and rough play will swat at him and sometimes take the claws out to get his point across better.

If the reason they "attack" is justified - Stark is bugging them constantly, chasing them, biting too hard, using his paws on them, etc. then I let it go. If for no reason my cats swat or hiss at Stark for simply being - they get corrected for it. A "ah ah" or a simple touch to the shoulder and a "ah ah" does the trick.

Now, if Stark were to ever mean harm to any of the cats (which I can't ever see happening because he LOVES cats as he has been raised around them - strange ones too) then I would keep them seperated while I could not supervise closely.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
^ haha, my boyfriend's parents have a cat named Tiki that used to be the butt of all of Frag's harrassment when he was a puppy because she was the slowest; now, if he so much as walks by her casually without paying her any attention she will 90% of the time hiss and 75% of the time swat, whether he's in striking distance or not. He's learned a lot from that cat, but she does get corrected when he's leaving her alone.

·
Registered
490 Posts
To the back yard and a bullet in the head.

If my dog randomly attacked our cats and hurt them beyond repair, he'd be put down. He would have no reason to attack because ive teached him right and he grew up with the cats as they lay together.

Dog must have issues.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Now, if Stark were to ever mean harm to any of the cats (which I can't ever see happening because he LOVES cats as he has been raised around them - strange ones too) then I would keep them seperated while I could not supervise closely.
This exactly! I allow the cats to discipline the dogs as they see fit, but not vice versa. My reasoning is that the cats will not cause long term damage to my dogs (well, I suppose they could scratch an eye, that wouldn't be good), but the dogs could kill the cats accidently.

I would not rehome or kill my dogs if they did end up killing one of my cats. If that happened, it would be my own fault for not properly supervising/training the dogs. The dog is just acting on instinct.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts