German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
If you lost everything, what would happen to your pets?

I'm talking about unexpectedly or even gradually losing your home, your savings, your car, and anything else that sustains you.

What would you do with your pets? Shelter? Rescue? Family? Friends?

It might be east to say you'd never take them to a shelter, but realistically what would happen?

Registered
I'd live in my truck with them

Registered

I'm talking about unexpectedly or even gradually losing your home, your savings, your car, and anything else that sustains you.

It might be east to say you'd never take them to a shelter, but realistically what would happen?
Been there, done that. Dogs became homeless along with me, I worked for day money and we all made it through. I rehomed Sabs BFF as the stress was to much for her, and the folks that took her were good friends so the girls still played together.

Registered
Family would take every one of them (and me lol) and I'd do the same for any of my family if needed. I'm blessed to have great support from them and it's great to have that peace of mind as I know others don't have that. I would gladly live in a car or tent with them if it came down to it, my pets are my family and you don't abandon family.

You can always make arrangements with a rescue if you need that support that if ever needed they would at least courtesy post for you. A good rescue is much safer and better then shelters or CL and other unknowns.

Registered
Seger would go back to his breeder. The others, I don't know. The cat back to my Mom. The other 3 dogs are not really rehomable so we would have to deal somehow.

Registered
Coke and/or Nikon....pry them from my cold, dead hands (if I did die, my family would help with Coke and my friend with Nikon). Legend I could easily sell and rehome, as he is very young, healthy, friendly, and already in training for several sports. My sister has already claimed Indy. If she wouldn't take her, then she could go back to the foster person I adopted her from.

Registered
I have a couple friends who I know would help support me until I could get back on my feet. If I didn't have them, I do have a tent and various vital camping equipment on hand if I just lose everything and have no choice but to be legitimately homeless. Kaiju would be staying with me in both these scenarios. I am strong enough to do day labor if need be, and Kaiju has always eaten before me.

In case of extreme injury, I have one friend who would gladly care for Kaiju. In case of injury I cannot recover from (coma, vegetative state) or death, my best friend has a packet of information with Kaiju's health and behavioral history, his training history, my own little summary of his personality, likes and dislikes, as well as a list of my top five shepherd rescues for him to go to. He also has the option of keeping Kaiju, but it would be his decision if Kaiju stayed with him or went to rescue.

Registered
I'd be sleeping at the park with my dog

ETA and if I die before him I have someone who will take him. My family would never give him up but they're not as devoted as I am so I tried finding someone who's on the same page with me about taking care of shepherds. If that falls through then my family.

Registered
My cat would go to a good friend, and my dogs would be homeless with me.

If I died or had a non recoverable injury, my dogs would go to my older brother and his wife, and my cat would go to that same good friend. Only reason my cat wouldn't go to family is bc none of them know anything about cats.

In both cases, my horse would go to my trainer for her to use in her lesson program, and if that's not an option, then she'd be donated to a local therapeutic riding facility (my second choice due to the decrease in level of care my mare would be getting...).

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Registered
My mom and sister (who live together) would take her. My mom is not a dog person but Mystique absolutely adores her and my mom has fallen under her spell. My sister recently lost her 16 yo llaso apso (sp) and she loves Mystique. She'd be well taken care of.

Registered
I have a nice remote camp spot in the National Forest of Northern California pegged for such a contingency. There are enough deer there I could basically feed my dogs off the land if I had to. Hopefully I could then get back on my feet and move ahead with life. You can legally camp in the National Forest for free, as long as you move campsites every two weeks. I actually have lived in the NF before, but that was just over the summer to save money on rent while I worked a real job. It was a great spot, hardly ever rained, sweet swimming hole just up the creek, and very quiet. I was working nights so it was truly ideal.

Registered
They would go back to their breeders because I know they will take care of them, re-home them or hold them until I got my feet back on the ground. It is one of the reasons I have purebreds from breeders like that.

Registered
I have a nice remote camp spot in the National Forest of Northern California pegged for such a contingency. There are enough deer there I could basically feed my dogs off the land if I had to. Hopefully I could then get back on my feet and move ahead with life. You can legally camp in the National Forest for free, as long as you move campsites every two weeks. I actually have lived in the NF before, but that was just over the summer to save money on rent while I worked a real job. It was a great spot, hardly ever rained, sweet swimming hole just up the creek, and very quiet. I was working nights so it was truly ideal.
Same here. I have a remote spot, no swim hole but everything else needed to sustain a family for quite awhile. I also am well versed in living off the land too. Truth be told, Cruz would probably be happier if this did happen. He would have ample room to run and have his family around all the time. But realistically, we are a two income house so if one or the other went jobless, we would have to scale back but could make it fine. So it would be a long shot but still could happen.

If we passed, the kids would probably fight over who would get him. He is well loved by his whole family so placing him would be no problem as he would wind up with one of our kids as would the cat.

Super Moderator
I would live in a tent if I had to, I will never lose my animals and then I'd walk the streets if I had to .

Registered

My situation might be a bit unusual because I do not have any relatives with whom I could move in, or to whom I could rehome a pet. That's my disclaimer. :)

When Eva was alive... this was my biggest fear. I mean that sincerely - it was always in the back of my mind. Honestly, because of her aggression issues and poor physical health, I probably would have had to euthanize her. No rescue would have taken her. As far as a shelter, I don't think she'd ever pass a behavioral screening, so had I brought her to a shelter, she would have just been euthanized without me present, probably frantically searching for me. Of the very, very few family members I have who are still alive and with whom I would trust an animal... I would not have entrusted a large, aggressive dog to any of them. Not that any of them would have taken her. I don't have any friends who would fit the bill, either - not because I wouldn't trust them, but because they all either have kids (Eva was aggressive towards children) or dogs (also aggressive towards dogs) or else they are single and not ready to settle down, even with a pet. As far as living in my car or choosing to be homeless, well, I've done that before, years ago, and it's much, much more complicated than it seems. And living in a car with a pet (which, btw, you can't leave alone in said car, especially during the summer and winter) makes employment hard to keep or come by, which only exacerbates the entire situation not only for the human but also for the animal in question.

Obviously it would not have been an easy decision. I mean, the night before our vet came to euthanize Eva, I seriously considered running away with her, for no logical reason whatsoever. I had this whole fantasy that we would get away from civilization and I'd say "screw it" to my job / keeping gainful employment / etc and we would just hang out and drive around and hike and hunt and camp until she passed away peacefully in her sleep. And then I remembered, oh yeah, gotta get money to pay for gas, and to keep the car from being repossessed, and to buy her medicine that she needs in order to, ya know, survive from day to day. And running away from home doesn't mean running away from pain and illness, and natural death is rarely peaceful.

Now that we have just the one cat, I think I'd rehome her to a close friend while I got back on my feet. But a cat is a lot less commitment for a friend to take on than an aggressive, sick GSD. If I couldn't find a friend to take her, I'd give her to a rescue group, if I could find one, since I would want expertise and help in screening potential adopters.

Registered
Lovemygirl good point about working while homeless with a dog. I just realized how easy it is to throw out hypothetical bs abt sleeping at the park. I still wouldn't give my dog up or at least I hope I'd be able to make it through. The fact remains, not too many people can survive on their own by living in the woods and hunting or whatever. I can't. To me a park is already more nature than I'm comfortable with lol. I'm a child of concrete, apartments and electricity.

So yeah, sobering post. I don't know what I'd do. I'm hoping I'd find a way to survive with him

Registered
Lovemygirl good point about working while homeless with a dog. I just realized how easy it is to throw out hypothetical bs abt sleeping at the park. I still wouldn't give my dog up or at least I hope I'd be able to make it through. The fact remains, not too many people can survive on their own by living in the woods and hunting or whatever. I can't. To me a park is already more nature than I'm comfortable with lol. I'm a child of concrete, apartments and electricity.

So yeah, sobering post. I don't know what I'd do. I'm hoping I'd find a way to survive with him
Very true, background can make a lot of difference in these situations. Those who have grown up in the city may not have as much experience if trying to do the living in the car/tent thing with a dog. Those who are used to the outdoors will probably be more comfortable trying a tent situation.

As for me, I did plenty of camping when I was younger. I would never leave my dog in my car, but I'm confident that I could either crate my dog in the tent with a fan hooked up to my portable battery or I could rig some sort of shaded outdoor run by the campsite.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts