German Shepherds Forum banner

if you have another breed besides GSD

4K views 49 replies 37 participants last post by  mjbgsd 
#1 ·
For people who have a different breed of dog besides a GSD I'm wondering how/ why you chose to go to a different breed? Those of you who considered others and then chose GSD why did you?

I recently posted about potential interest in the Picardy Shepherd but my husband loves our GSD he wonders why I would ever consider anything else. I'm sorta wondering myself why i am looking at another breed, too. I'm afraid if I do consider another breed (picardy shepherd included) i will be disappointed that it is "not a GSD". SO those of you who have considered other breeds (acted on it or not) why did you chose the way you did?

See less See more
#3 ·
When my DH and I got married, I wanted a dog for our first house. I had always wanted a Rottwieler, but DH was a little "nervous" around bigger dogs, especially some of the more powerful breeds. As odd as it sounds he wanted the GSD. So we got Shadow in May 1999, our first GSD and our first dog as "adults".For the New Year of the Millenium, my DH bought me a Rottie puppy. She was a great dog, rest her soul. She turned out to bond very strongly with my DH and vice versa, and I became the die hard GSD lover.

We have talked about adding another to our pack at some point in a few years...I of course want another GSD and he wants either another Rottie or a Mastiff. Time will tell who wins out LOL.

#5 ·
LOL, honestly, I'm going to loose everyone's respect on this board, but I never did like GSDs - I guess I have just never seen any really nice ones. I joined the board for the Schutzhund forum, since I was looking for a venue where I could brag about Keeta.

As I progressed with her training, I doubted that she would title, and started thinking of getting a dog that I could take through all three levels of Schutzhund. Because Keeta is so darn cute, I was thinking of getting a Rottweiler (just posted that story on the Rottweiler vs. Shepherd thread) - but after gathering some information, I decided that if Schutzhund was my goal, I really needed to stick to working-line GSDs. They really are unique dogs in the world of dogs.

As far as getting another dog for a pet dog, I would do as I have done in the past: take a look at the dogs in the local shelter and find one that speaks to my heart. Win-Win situation.

But for training and titling, I'll probably only want GSDs from now on . . . like someone else said in another thread - they function at almost a human level, scary!!

#6 ·
I have a toy poodle/pom cross 11 yr old dog. I *wanted* a GSD but was not able to commit the time/effort into all the activity and training I knew a GSD would need at the time (11 yrs ago). Plus the cost of food for a big dog, and cleaning up big dog poo every day was NOT on my radar since I had 4 small children at the time. So we got the small dog because A) he eats hardly anything and poops hardly at all, B) he doesn't mind being home alone when I was working or at school, and let himself out a teeny tiny dog door when he wanted to go out, C) no fear of him biting or jumping or knocking over my very small children at the time, and D) super portable... he can stay in hotels, be carried into stores, goes camping in tents with us, people don't mind if he comes with us to their houses usually. Oh, and he DOES NOT SHED. Was a big plus for us!

I still want a GSD, and since my kids are mostly grown now and I am not working and finances are better, and I am no longer overwhelmed with toddler and baby poop (diapers, potty training)... I think the time is approaching for a GSD for us

Plus, he is super cute:

#7 ·
I love big dogs , black dogs and herding dogs . and I do rescue sooooo I have a black lab (love them labbies
) I have two Old English Sheepdogs (not for everyone but I adore mine, they train very differently from a lab or shepherd) and of course I have a shepherd(don't need to say why They are just so wonderful). Just seems these are the dogs that have fallen in my lap or a foster failure. I often think one day I will have a small dog Just a scruffy mutt for fun. I love the breeds I have for different reasons Lots of times at OES shows and events people will say "well they aren't GSD's" well of course they aren't that is why I love them. I think it is all in a matter of interest . I don't think I will ever be without a GSD in my life.....................

#8 ·
Well, we have a rescued BC and a rescued Catahoula. I didn't get them instead of a GSD though.

The little BC is a blast, but the GSDs find her rude and annoying. They have not been a good match. The Catahoula was starving when I put him in the car. I had no plans to keep him but his temperament is great and his drive to be busy training never stops..... so he is my kinda guy! A sight different from the GSDs and certainly not equal to me, but fun.

I am afraid to me the genre of German Shepherds and dogs are two different things! I guess I don't put the GSDs in the same catagory of dog acquisitions.... IOW,there are the Shepherds here and then there are the dogs.

I am entertaining getting a Sheltie. They are pretty little dogs. All the crating and carrying about would be easier. I wouldn't have considered it if my friend didn't have a slammin'Sheltie. He must belief himself to be one of her GSDs... drivey, friendly, intrepid little dude. If he could reproduce that temperament... I would get one out of him.

#9 ·
Originally Posted By: 4dognight I have two Old English Sheepdogs (not for everyone but I adore mine, they train very differently from a lab or shepherd)
hahaha I met an OES once when I was running on the beach and he was the goofiest thing ever!! I remembered as a child I had a friend with one too... so I got interested in them for a bit but my DH said no way to them too! it's better because they are probably a little bit too big and goofy for us. But they do have a special place in my heart from the good experience i had!

#10 ·
I adopted a rottie mix because I fell in love with a rottie that lived in my neighborhood. He was such a big lovable goofball and very smart too. I'd adopt another rottie or rottie mix in a second. When I went to meet Rafi I didn't realize he had belgian malinois in him but now I am absolutely in love with those aspects of his personality. It's like having Tigger in a dog coat. I would definitely rescue another malinois or malinois x gsd.

To be honest, I have often thought about moving away from gsds (sometimes to gsd mixes) because gsds have so many health problems and because it's easier for me to carry a smaller dog (max 60 pounds) when necessary. Rafi is the perfect size for me to easily lift and carry.

#11 ·
We have an emptiness in our home right now...but I have no preference...I don't even have the heart to look...a dog that needs us will come along......

#12 ·
Originally Posted By: myamomWe have an emptiness in our home right now...but I have no preference...I don't even have the heart to look...a dog that needs us will come along......
awww, it seems like that is what everyone is saying here... dogs they ended up with sort of just happened or they met one and knew that was the right kind of dog!

#13 ·
i think i identified why i like them in my other post- its fun to have head turners

#14 ·
I have a Pug. I had been interested in the breed for a while, had a friend with one and enjoyed her stories of life with her Lola. I jumped at the chance to adopt Riley from the shelter.

If I were to get another Pug (which I easily see myself doing), I would look for another adult and concentrate on finding one with a less spastic personality than Riley. I love him, but he is a very...busy dog.

I have fostered a ton of Border Collies over the years and love their intelligence and ability. I have also fostered a few Goldens and have enjoyed them a great deal.

My husband has been doing a lot of rescue transports recently, most often with Bassets moving through on their way to Washington state, and he swears that the next dog we get will be a Basset Hound.
Sheilah

#15 ·
GSD was what I really wanted. But, I didn't like the sloped back, I was worried about hips and health, wanted a smaller dog, didn't want to worry about breed discrimination. I didn't know about the shedding, but that is also a plus.

Then I saw a Belgian Tervuren on a TV dog show and started researching Belgians. They were perfect and just what I was looking for!

But you gotta love any pointy ear herding dog.

ETA: if I would have found this forum before getting my first dog, I probably would have found a GSD that I liked. But another good thing about Belgians is that there are a lot fewer irresponsible breeders, well, if you exclude Malinois. With them you have to be more careful who you are buying from and what you want to do with the dog.

#16 ·
I am just not a one breed woman, lol.

I was always interested in and fascinated by Siberian Huskies. After fostering lots of them and currently owning one who is 3 that I have raised from a pup, I realize they are not the breed for me but of course I am going to stick it out with Zelda, she's the love of my life as much as she annoys the crap out of me.

I started becoming increasingly interested in the Doberman and started volunteering with a dobie rescue last year and talking with owners of them at dog shows and meeting their dogs. A Dobie was supposed to be our next dog but we ended up with a pit bull terrier, who made me fall head over heels in love with the breed.

So as far as the future goes, I plan on always owning a GSD and either a doberman or pit bull when living and financial situations allow. I must say I was spoiled by the pit bull's short coat..it was such a breeze to wash compared to the GSD and Husky. This is also one reason why I am super interested in dobies.

#17 ·
I had wanted a GSD since I was a kid, but I always ended up with other dogs-- most of my dogs were strays so they kinda chose me. Finally I went looking for a dog when my terrier passed away and my Golden Retriever was a senior (both had been strays) and of course I looked for a Shepherd. It took me about 6 months to a year and three foster dogs (not all GSDs) and I finally found Bianca.
I am not going to stick to just GSDs from now on though, I love a lot of breeds and will probably also end up taking in more strays in the future... Right now my plan is to get a small dog as a second dog sometime in the near future, possibly a powderpuff Chinese Crested or some type of terrier. I liked the dynamics of having a large and a small dog with my previous pair. I would like to get a longhaired GSD though in the future. I really prefer the feel and texture of longer fur.

#18 ·
I was with someone else when I got my first dog. I wanted a GSD, he was nervous of them. So we compromised and chose a Labrador retriever.
Then we seperated, and I ended up with my good friend who's GSD I had already fallen in love with (I tease him the reason I dated him was for his dog). Some of our first dates were dog play dates. LOL.
I love my Lab with all my heart and he is my heart dog, but after having a GSD too, it is the breed for me. I may have other breeds, there are more than a few I am in love with, but I will always have at least one GSD.

#19 ·
I wanted a dog that was as smart as a Shepherd but more outgoing, less intimidating to people and very personable. I happened to meet a Cocker breeder at the training center I was taking my Shepherds to and fell in love with her dogs. From her I purchased my first Cocker - Speed.

A well bred Cocker is a joyful dog! Smart, funny, outgoing, agile, biddable, happy, friendly - a great dog in a small package.

Unfortunately I lost Speed at only a year due to a mutant strain of Parvo. Tazer came along soon afterward and even though he's not well-bred (Mom was rescued from the streets pregnant) he has been an awesome dog!

The lady that got me started in Shepherds also introduced me to Cresteds. Again, a well-bred Crested is a great dog!

I admit - I was first attracted by looks. They looked like little ponies!!

I met a few at the confirmation shows I was going to and then went to a breeder/judges house and met hers.

They were AWFUL! Nasty, snarly ones and skittish, fearful ones. I decided to skip that breed. But I soon learned that those were NOT the correct types - not temperament wise anyways. So I went back to wanting one.

#20 ·
If I ever get off my lazy duff and fence in all my acreage and get the goats I kinda want I'll start looking for a border collie. However I'll ALWAYS have a GSD, I like big, strong and smart dogs and GSDs fit that bill rather well. Most of my friends have BCs and I've had one myself and I love them dearly, but at the end of the day I find that Banjo just makes me smile that much more.

I also like the look of the Bengal cat...that is until I looked up how much a pure-breed one is. Don't think I'll be throwing 1k+ down on a cat anytime soon.

#21 ·
I absolutely LOVE Shepherds and I will always have one! I have been wanting a chihuahua for a while, I really have always wanted a smaller dog but not a yappy one. Noel's breeder also breeds Chihuahuas as well as Shepherds and when we went to visit last April she had some puppies and did I fall in love. We found someone in my town that breeds Chi's so now we have one. I now totally LOVE the breed and I will always have one Shepherd and one Chihuahua!

#22 ·
I think having a Belgian Shepherd Groenedael is an awesome match for a GSD for many reasons....

1) They look very similiar to a GSD but shed WAY LESS
2) They don't mind being living chew toys for the GSD...lol
3) Although smaller, they can hold their own against a GSD...and in my case Kohlee is the alpha of our pack
4) They are even awesome with kids
5) They are very stunning and unique looking
6) They aren't overbred like the GSD so less health problems to deal with
7) They don't mind enteraining the GSD or kids for hours LOL
8) More protective than the GSD
9) Insane ball drive
10) Very sweet and loving dogs

#23 ·
My second breed is dobermann. Actually right now I have a minpin, for a small dog she is pretty smart than expected. I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to find a decent well bred doberman in the future, and in Europe, tail docking and ear cropping are banned. So I'm gonna stick with shepherds. Right now I have no time to raise gsd pup, I wish I had. But I have my minpin, which keeps me on my toes at all times. After losing kenzo, I realized that taking care of a big dog is [heck] of a job (I'm not complaining here,don't get me wrong). But if I'll have two dogs at a time in the future, one is gonna be a large breed and the other will be from toy breeds.

#24 ·
I fell in love with the spirit, intelligence and personality of the Jack Russell Terriers from attending horse shows, I bought a puppy and that started my love affair with the JRT, Chase went EVERYWHERE with me, he was like a 3rd arm, he would come running if I screamed to come and kill whatever was scaring me, he was fantastic with the cats, yet was pure terrier through and through, he traveled all over the states with me to horse shows and when he passed his loss effected me more than any other dog I had ever had, I was just lost without him, the mice in my barn were becoming overpowering and I realized how much that little dog had kept control of them, I than got Riley, another little JRT and he too brought all of the pleasure of Chase back to me, he is a Cuz ball fanatic, but also a [heck] of a mouser and like Chase, he comes running if I scream to kill the bad guy.

I was at a Petco a year ago and saw the cutest puppy I had ever seen, a living stuffed animal, but it had spit and vinegar that made me just laugh, and I wanted it, badly! It was a Cairn Terrier and Garrett is the love of my life, I can't believe how much personality, loyalty, and bravado could possibly be in such a small dog, but it's there, he is the proverbial heartbeat at my feet, we are inseperable and I can't imagine not having him, my Mom is staying at my house this week, and she called me to tell me Garrett is just lying on my bed, he doesn't understand why I'm not there but "Grandma" is, all the other dogs are fine with her, but she said, that is YOUR dog, he lives and breathes for you, and you only!

I have had Shepherds all my life, they are the epitome of dogs in my opinion, but Terriers are also right there in my heart, once you have one, you can't imagine how lonely and boring life is without them, they wrap you around their little paws tightly, and you don't want to ever let go.

#25 ·
I grew up with GSDs and always wanted one, but I lived in an apartment (that didn't allow dogs
Ok, I was young.
) so I needed a dog that was small enough that I could sneak her in and out. I found a beagle mix at the back of the pound and brought her home.

I found that you CAN teach a beagle not to be barky (otherwise, I would have been evicted
). Soon enough, the apartment complex started to allow dogs (whew!
) but a GSD seemed like a big responsibility, so I got another medium size dog. It wasn't until they were older and we had a large enough yard that I got my GSD.

During those years, I found that beagles are smart, very trainable (have treat? I'll learn!), FULL of energy, will go anywhere and do pretty much anything you want them to. My beagle hiked thousands of miles, went snowshoeing, climbed mountains, travelled well, and was easy to socialize. And when we had 3 dogs, she didn't take up much room in the house or car. So when it was time to get another dog (again) a beagle was an obvious choice.

Our 13" beagle is feisty enough to play with our GSDs, has short legs but will run with them (she isn't as fast, but corners better), never runs out of energy. She has great social skills and loves nearly everyone. She's very trainable. My beagles actually know more tricks than my shepherds. Stubborn? Well, they're independent thinkers. But GSDs can be too. If I wanted really biddable dogs, I'd have labs and goldens. I like dogs who think for themselves.
Plus, Meri does agility, tracking, and obedience (everything I've dong with GSDs) , and is a very alert watchdog-- her work ethic is just as intense as her GSD brothers' ever has been.

And it's nice to have a little dog that wedges herself into the small space that the shepherd is kind enough to leave when he's all sprawled out, without even complaining.

#26 ·
If, when, I get another dog, it would probably be a Corgi.
That will be when I am ready to retire and a smaller breed may be a better match...

I've always loved the larger breeds and my first dog when I moved from my parents was a black GSDx, Stomper.
When he was a senior, I decided to rescue a golden retriever pup. She was mixed with border collie and a great dog, but was IMO a bit boring. Great for raising the kids though.
Along came puppy Onyx when Clover was 12, I'll have GSD's for the next 15 years if I am lucky!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.