German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you keep them from doing the deed? It popped in my head today and I was wondering how you're able to keep 2 unaltered dogs under the same roof without mating. Are you forced to keep them separate while the girl is in heat? I've never owned females before and was planning on getting a girl sometime in the future (next couple years).

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Yeah, when she is in heat, you will have to keep them separated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Keeping a unaltered male and female is alot of work. Not only do you need to keep a close eye on her cycles, but have the containment set up for every time she cycles. I mark my female's cycle on a calender so I know when to expect it, and I can prepare ahead of time. I have kennels in seperate rooms, with severeal door inbetween for when I'm gone, and she wears a diaper in the house and is always in my site when I'm home. Also be prepared to go outside with her every time she needs to go potty, just in case you have any unwanted visitors.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yep, separation is required. If you do it right it's totally possible to practically eliminate (I know someone will chime in with an 'it's never possible to totally eliminate') an oops mating. Some males won't know what to do; even if they did get together he'd be clueless. Other males (or particularly flirty females) will go to heck and back to get to their goal. Smashed windows, destroyed doors. I don't have intact males in my house often, but thus far it's been easy to juggle them around. Since I am "blessed" with heavy bleeders my girls usually stay in their crates most of the time during early heat anyway. The worst part is taking the ladies out on lead, even in a fenced yard. A determined dog will easily clear a 6 foot fence if he wants to.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, separation is required. If you do it right it's totally possible to practically eliminate (I know someone will chime in with an 'it's never possible to totally eliminate') an oops mating. Some males won't know what to do; even if they did get together he'd be clueless. Other males (or particularly flirty females) will go to heck and back to get to their goal. Smashed windows, destroyed doors. I don't have intact males in my house often, but thus far it's been easy to juggle them around. Since I am "blessed" with heavy bleeders my girls usually stay in their crates most of the time during early heat anyway. The worst part is taking the ladies out on lead, even in a fenced yard. A determined dog will easily clear a 6 foot fence if he wants to.
Smashed windows huh? Wow. That's some dedication to getting laid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts