German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what people usually do or where they look if they find a dog with a tattoo? If you found a stray dog and they had a tattoo, what would your course of action be? If you work for a vet or a shelter, what is their procedure for that?

I am trying to decide if I should register Bianca's tattoo anywhere else so I am wondering where people look first when they find a tattooed dog.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I would call my local shelter and see if the number was registered, and also hope they had their rabies tag on in case since those are always registered.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
If I find *any* dog, my first reaction is to call the animal shelters and let them know I have a dog with X-description. If it was a GSD with a tat, I'd try to decipher what information I could based on the common number/letter conventions. There are a few rescuers who frequently post tats on the PDB and I think have received help that way.

If you have Bianca tat'd it would most likely be on the inside of her thigh, so someone would need to know to look there. I have on tat'd dog but it is for show and competition, I don't really think of it as a way to have my dog returned if he gets lost (he has a microchip and ID plated collar).

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Well, I Googled 'dog tattoo' and found the NDR website.

I have to say - they did NOT make it easy to contact them if you found a dog with a tattoo. I had to do some searching through their website to find a phone number. Personally, I think it should be listed on the FRONT page.

When I find a stray dog the first thing I do is call the non-emergency number for the local police and ask if anyone has reported a missing dog. Then I call the two local shelters. If those three fail I will run the dog to my vets (if I have time) to check for a chip.

Lastly - I turn the dog over to the local shelter/AC.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's a good question! I don't know how many people know to look for a tattoo, or what it means. I would call the humane society 1st, where we live. Just because the H.S. Is so well known here. Then I'd contact our county shelter and My Vet to help find the owners. I love craigslist for random stuff and I have noticed alot of people post missing and found pets, if your dog is tattooed that would make it that much easier for the people to find the right owners.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to add, Bianca's tattoo is in her ear so it is a little more visible-- although I have never had anyone actually notice it there and ask about it.

Bianca is also microchipped and her tattoo and microchip are registered with AKC CAR, and she wears a collar with a nameplate plus her city license/rabies tag and her microchip tag. I'm just wondering if I should register her tattoo with one of the tattoo registries as well and if so which one...

I'm a little paranoid about losing my dogs because most of my pets were strays previously... I actually found out when my dog Ginger was 12 years old (I found her at 1 1/2 yrs) that she had a second microchip in her shoulder. It was found when she was getting x-rayed to see if her cancer had metastasized so getting it scanned was not a big priority at the time although I was wondering what info it would give. My vet had just opened a new clinic and didn't have a scanner yet and Ginger passed away a week later so it was never scanned. My vet said it was probably not working anyway since Ginger had been scanned at least twice all over her body and nothing was found (once when I found her, once when I got her microchipped.)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Your best chance of getting your dog back when lost is chipping her and making sure she's registered with up to date info with one of the main chipping services in addition to keeping tags on her as people are far more likely to grab your loose dog if they see tags.

It's way more of a hassle for the general public to have to deal with a tagless dog as they have to call around, maybe call animal control, and have to wait for the dog to be picked up rather than have a direct line to you the owner who can come and get the dog directly besides the tagless dog probably doesn't have a collar on and they don't have anything to grab. Not everyone has an extra leash with them or in their car when they see a stray.

I don't have collars or tags on my dogs, but they are chipped. I used to have tags on my dogs and one of them did get loose after some idiot drunk neighbor opened my gate and let them out. I found all but one immediately. That was the worst night of my life and I looked for him for hours in the dark. This was one of my greyhounds and they will run given the chance. He turned himself in to someone several blocks away first thing in the morning after running loose for 8 hours. He had clearly been hit by car at some point in the night and was bleeding all over. Thank goodness he went up to someone as they came out of their house so they were able to call me right away. I don't know if they would have grabbed him right away like that if he didn't have a collar and tags on. For sure animal control would have been able to find me by his chip if they had picked him up.

I keep the gates on my fence clipped so they are hard to open from the outside now and impossible for a drunk to open in the dark and I should really put tags back on my greys.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally Posted By: Elaine
It's way more of a hassle for the general public to have to deal with a tagless dog as they have to call around, maybe call animal control, and have to wait for the dog to be picked up rather than have a direct line to you the owner who can come and get the dog directly besides the tagless dog probably doesn't have a collar on and they don't have anything to grab. Not everyone has an extra leash with them or in their car when they see a stray.
That's true although the majority of stray dogs I've found have had collars on but no tags. One dog I found had a rabies tag on... I called animal control and they gave me the clinic's info where he had gotten the rabies shot, which it turned out had been almost a year before. The clinic gave me the owner's contact info and their number was disconnected. We tried the address but the people had moved away with no forwarding address.

Originally Posted By: Elaine
I keep the gates on my fence clipped so they are hard to open from the outside now and impossible for a drunk to open in the dark and I should really put tags back on my greys.
I used to have water-resistant Master locks on my gates but they rusted so for a while I had them on through the gate handle so that you'd have to remove them to open the gate although they were not actually locked (they looked like the were.)
Then last summer someone stole my bike out of my yard when I was out of town (they cut the bike lock.) A family member was petsitting and they did not notice, and when they let Bianca out the next morning, a few minutes later they heard barking in the front of the house. Bianca was standing on the front porch! Luckily she didn't take off. After that I bought new locks for the gates and now I keep them locked again, with U-locks so they hopefully won't rust like the last ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts