1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
184 Posts
that explains alot because ava doesnt eat as much as she should and she always wants more water. so if blue buffalo not as good as i was led to believe than what should i feed my dog. i have the extra money and want to feed my girl the best food i can get. didnt like science diet , natures recipe, and some of the cheaper brands. what about origen or wilderness for a 7 month old

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I think the article was about Wilderness, specifically. It's made by BB.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
No, it's not only Wilderness...

BLUE Wilderness Chicken (Dog)
BLUE Basics Salmon (Dog)
BLUE Large Breed Adult Chicken

·
Registered
253 Posts
The article says, "All 16 dogs whose samples were tested had very high levels of vitamin D in their blood and were fed a diet of Blue Buffalo's Wilderness Chicken Recipe."

That was the only one that was part of the voluntary recall.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
No, it's not only Wilderness...

BLUE Wilderness Chicken (Dog)
BLUE Basics Salmon (Dog)
BLUE Large Breed Adult Chicken
I wish they would add

BLUE Wilderness Duck to that list

Both of my dogs got very sick on that kibble and I contacted BB about it and never received an email back. I told the local feed store where I got it from and she told me that there were 2 other customers that complained about the Blue Wilderness Duck making their dogs sick as well. We all sent our food back to BB and the feed store sent back their BB products.

I used to feed that to both of my dogs and my 3 cats and after that happened I switched all of them over to TOTW.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My bad....I spoke too soon. All the ones listed above are included.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feed my GS puppy Royal canin, the GS specific brand for joint and digestive health, my puppy eats it but it seems they recomend to feed him almost 6 1/2 cups a day and a few people have told me im crazy to feed him that much. He really only eats about 4 cups a day but the 6 cups are out there for him to eat and depending on hte day he eats it all, does 6 1/2 cups sound like too much? he is almost 6 months exactly.

·
5,627 Posts
I feed my GS puppy Royal canin, the GS specific brand for joint and digestive health, my puppy eats it but it seems they recomend to feed him almost 6 1/2 cups a day and a few people have told me im crazy to feed him that much. He really only eats about 4 cups a day but the 6 cups are out there for him to eat and depending on hte day he eats it all, does 6 1/2 cups sound like too much? he is almost 6 months exactly.
6 cups is an awful lot of food. Royal Canin is also very grain and filler heavy. You can get a much better food for the price that you pay for their marketing. Search through the Feeding Our Puppy section to find some recommendations of a good food for your pup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok thank you, i will check it out. for me royal canin is cheap because my gf works at Petsmart so we use the discount for our puppy!

·
5,627 Posts
You can get Wellness at PetSmart now which is a much better food. Wellness's Core (grain free) is not appropriate for a puppy but one of their other formulas would be ok. Most foods at PetSmart are not much better than grocery store brands. The whole made for GSDs thing is a gimick.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Wellness is a good brand.

I also recommend Solid Gold Wolf Cub, I fed that to my GSD when he was a puppy, we had good results with it. :)

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I have really liked the results of Orijen so far. I fed my young male Orijen Large Breed Puppy until he was over a year old.
If a person can afford it, then that would be my choice. I really have not found it that much more expensive to feed as they eat less. If overfed, they tended too loose stools on the Orijen. It is pretty concentrated nutrition.

There are other good foods out there though. Too many choices almost, but that is not a bad thing.

·
Registered
682 Posts
This is why I like this site, everyone is looking out for one another and only wants the best for the breed.....you are all great people and I'm happy to be a part of this site.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The more I read about BB, the more I avoid it. I've heard nothing but poor reviews of it in the past few months. My parents switched to it from Pedigree for their two Chi's and both dogs starting losing their hair within a month of switching. They're back to Pedigree and surprise, the hairloss has stopped and it's growing back :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts