German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would you do anything differently in the way you brought up your puppy?
Personally I would have started NILF much earlier...i used it but not in as many ways as I could have...

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I would have started Frag on a different food. He had a pretty rapid growth spurt around 4 months on purina puppy chow. :(

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I didn't socialize Onyx enough as a wee pup, but that may NOT be the reason for her reactivity and temperament. So I regret that, and having her spayed so young(6 mos).
With Karlo, who will be a year in a couple of days, everything is going great, and I think it is due to his genetics and great start with his breeder. We'll see in another year how I may have messed his foundation up, but so far~he is the perfect puppy!!!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Since I'm on puppy #4, I think I'm doing pretty good with THIS puppy!

Know the biggest difference over time is that I'm using the brief puppy stages to really allow my puppy to have fun and be a 'puppy' before I start up the later more stricter training.

I'm much more inclined now to pay attention and 'manage' my puppy's life and environment so they are such good puppies. Rather than setting them up to fail and do 'bad' leaving the teaching to come from corrections and 'bad dog' methods (eat the pillow/bad dog, pee/poo on the floor/bad dog, bite me/bad dog, eat my favorite shoe/bad dog).

Now I'm so much more inclined to really focus on exercising the HECK out of my puppy so they drag around the house and keep looking for places to nap :), socialize the heck out of my puppies outside and inside my house/yard (so they drag home and look for a nap :) ), find great puppy classes so they can have fun and socialize in a safe environment (uh, and when we get home she drags herself in to take a nap).

When I am home I manage my pups environment to assure they are good dogs by keeping the puppy WITH me using baby gates and closed doors. And using the crate when I can't be in a position to keep that vigilant eye on them.

Happy and confident puppies make happy confident dogs that can learn anything and go anywhere. If I end up with a house that's not destroyed in the meantime (and my house is not) then that's the icing on the cake!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Over the years I've made mistakes raising puppies and learned from those mistakes. I'm still not perfect, but so far the last puppy I raised (Bruiser), hasn't done anything I'm particularly upset with. I've decided I prefer getting an older, already trained dog versus a puppy.

·
Super Moderator
32,038 Posts
I do start right away with NILIF and I think it's great. One thing I would have done differently is to keep Keefer in classes a bit longer rather than just doing two and then taking a break to get Dena back into agility. He really needed it more and her classes were just for fun. I also think I should have done a lot more leash work with him early on. I raised him exactly the same way as I did Dena and it was fine for her, but not enough for him. I think I could have prevented most of his leash reactivity if I'd spent more time in training classes early on when it was most important.

I have made sure not to make these mistakes with Halo - she's on her 5th class in a row, and I've logged easily over 200 miles doing training walks with her since mid-June and it shows - she's the best dog on leash I've ever had. At some point I plan to put Keefer back into classes, but he's already gotten much better with maturity and since he's "good enough" for right now I'm putting my efforts into bringing up Halo right.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I feel the same as Jane (although I'm sure you are doing a fantastic job with Karlo!) ... with Ike, time will tell. In a year or so we'll be able to see what I am doing wrong now ...

With Obie, a couple of things, most are my doing but one is not mine.

Not mine: I hate the fact the he was neutered at 8 weeks (!!!) by the folks at SPCA.

Mine: didn't work enough on bonding and recall before I started letting him play off leash with other dogs. Also, didn't work enough focus. Looking back, it seemed like we trained everything BUT focus and recall. So with Ike I am taking the opposite route: he knows some obedience stuff (kind of, sort of) but I don't really care at this point. Most important to me is bonding, playing well with me, focus, and recall.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I actually would have got a different puppy knowing then what I know now. Chrono was older at 4 months and had never been inside a house before and had absolutely no training and was a bit on the wild side. The only things he learned were what his mom taught him, since he was allowed to be with his parents all the way until I bought him. Since he was with his mom so long, he had separation anxiety before we even got him(he had never been alone before), and since he was never in a house, in a crate, or on a leash, he also had barrier frustration and potty training was such a battle with him. He's been a difficult dog, and it was a hard journey for me since this was not only my first german shepherd, but my first dog.

His genetics are also questionable, and since he's over sized he'll likely get hip dyplasia. I had researched a lot about german shepherds prior to getting him, but not enough about the breeders, and I regret supporting a BYB. Chrono is also not my 'type' of dog, and while he is hilarious, I wanted more of a serious dog.

I also would have never went to that stupid petsmart training class. It was free, but they taught him and me terrible habits. When teaching leave it, we would walk down an aisle of treats and toys. When your dog had interest in something, you had to tell the dog to leave it, and if the dog didn't leave it, you basically had to stand there and wait for the dog to finish playing/eating the treat because you weren't allowed to stop the dog or pull it away, and after it stopped you praised it for apparently leaving it, when really you are praising it for disobeying you. It was ridiculous.

I also would not have got Chrono neutered, and would have instead got him a vasectomy(but still waited until he was two years old).

To sum it up, If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have got a different, younger puppy from a good breeder with healthy dogs, not had it neutered so young, and went to my current dog trainer from the very beginning.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Considering Jerzey was my first dog (and, well, not ever really meant to be "my" dog) I think she's come out pretty well!

If I had to do things differently I probably wouldn't have bought from a BYB and I would have been more involved with her training. I did a lot of the research about food and vaccines and let my ex do most of her training (hey, she was "his" dog, after all.) So, now, I know she has all of this potential but I don't know how to utilize all of it!

I guess I would have done more socialization as well. We tried but, living in a college town, she just isn't used to kids so that kind of stinks but she just avoids them.

Honestly, though, I think Jerzey came out pretty good for a dog raised by two college kids and now living in a single-future-law-student home. I just hope she can adjust nicely to life in Manhattan!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would have done things a lot different with Sadie. She has been the first dog I have had without parent participation. She does fairly well and isnt too destructive, but is like any other puppy. 2 things I regret the most is not being hard enough on her for jumping on people- she constantly leaves bruises on me from jumping. Leash walking- she's gotten so big so quick, she just walks me! I didn't know any better when I got her, but I wish I would have. She does ok when she wants to, but for the most part she is the dominant one on the leash!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts