German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many people highly discourage letting your puppy sleep on the bed. However, I crate trained rocky using the bed and his crate and he only cried for the entire night once. Otherwise he cried five minutes in his kennel.

I am not a trainer,I am just letting you know what worked for me.

Rocky had to potty every two hours the first few weeks home so I would let him sleep in his kennel from 9-11 then take him to potty then he would sleep curled on my feet 11-1 then he would go out and potty then kennel from 1-3 and continue this pattern until I got up at 8. Yes, I had hardly any sleep but my boyfriend and I took turns so it wasn't too bad.

I think that rocky understood he wouldn't have to be in the kennel forever and that helped lol

I know some people say your gsd will think he is your equal if he sleeps in the bed... This isn't the case with rocky. He will "ask" to go on the bed by putting his paws on the bed. If I say kennel he wi go sleep in it, and if I get in bed and pat it he will jump up and lay at my feet.

I feel a lot more protected with him there... One time our alcoholic roommate came home and passed out outside our door and if rocky hadn't started growling and woken me up I wouldn't have been able to take the roommate to the hospital.

Anyonr else let their gsd sleep in bed?

Rocky knows If he is restless he will go to his kennel so he is very quiet on the bed!!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
My dog sleeps in the bed. I have no problems with them sleeping on the bed with me so long as they understand it is my bed and they are guests. If they start acting territorial with beds/couches/whatever, they get the floor.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Hondo isn't allowed on the bed unless invited. If I let him sleep on the bed, he will eventually get off and lay in his kennel, and sometimes he'll want to go outside for the rest of the night.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts