German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Congrats you have got yourself a long coat :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thats a little disappointing to be honest

what does long stock coat mean? is that the kind that grows to look more like a collie rather then a shepherd lol

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
My boy had one LC in his litter, beutiful pup. Would love to see him today.

I'm going to say not a LC. Of course I coud be wrong but his coat looks like my boys coat as a pup. He's stock:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both parents was stock coat breeder said this is his second litter and the have never produced a long coat I purchased him from an AKC breeder with the main focus of using him in AKC events so long coats being DQ kinda blows lol oh well guess he will be my new best friend regardless

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Two stock coats can throw long coats in a litter. It's more common with the show lines.
Yes! Rusty's parents are both stock but both have produced coated pups. Our breeder was surprised there was only one in his litter of 10 if I remember the count correctly. It was a large litter.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
what does long stock coat mean? is that the kind that grows to look more like a collie rather then a shepherd lol
Means that there is still an undercoat but the hair is long. It's the technical term for the huge majority of "long coats" people have, they say a true long coat has no undercoat, but most GSDs have both coats

Heres a 9 week vs 7 months pic of my long stock coat girl so you can compare a bit, and she continues to get fluffier

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully he looks cute when older as Google images "long coted GSD" was like a horror show they didn't even look like GSD

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Hopefully he looks cute when older as Google images "long coted GSD" was like a horror show they didn't even look like GSD
Mego gave a pretty good example of what your pup's most likely going to look like in the above post. There's no mistaken that dog for anything else but a GSD for anyone that knows the breed.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Hmmm, are you sure your looking at German Shepherds?? lol I know LC are not a preference for some but your wording sounds extreme.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Ok, I googled long coat german shepherds & forget about those images that pop up. More than 1/2 of them are not GSD!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
My boy is a Long Stock coat from two stock coated dogs. Your pup reminds me of my boy. Bear was the only LC in a litter of 7 pups. Here's a few from when my boy was that age to I year of age:
ImageUploadedByPG Free1375062957.940702.jpg

ImageUploadedByPG Free1375063005.674316.jpg

ImageUploadedByPG Free1375063027.491700.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Oh he's a definitely a coatie, and he is SO CUTE! Forget about coat length, it really does not change the dog. A LC dog can still be the very best companion you could ask for and do anything a normal coat can. Look into showing your guy in an SV show if you really wanna show him, thats what I am doing with my guy. For other AKC sports, I am not sure his coat length matters?

Here's a comparison of my guy for reference, IMO, he looks very 'German Shepherd' to me. :)

About 10 weeks old here.

One year old.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Oh my....:wub: :wub: :wub:

I am a short coat fan, but not exclusively anymore! Wow, what cuties, beauties and handsome GSDs here! Wow. Stunning. :)

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Definitely long coat! Though it can take awhile for the full adult coat to come in, my pups didn't start getting longer until about 7 months. My pup is also from two normal stock coat dogs and coat length can vary between dogs so that part is hard to predict until they're older.

My pup at 8 weeks

IMG_0371 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

And now at 11 months... He looks very GSD to me and is definitely not a hot mess of a dog LOL

Untitled (2013-07-15 05:23:27) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Bug huntin' by Carriesue82, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 29 Posts