German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my breeder for her to show me the parents of the puppy im going to be getting in July and the Mother is Silver and Black and the Father is Black and Tan, I would like to have a traditional Black and tan but im not so sure of what I will get? Anyone have some idea's??? :)

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
I have no experience with genetics, but I think blk/tan would be dominant. My females came from the same color scenario. Zoey is a "washed" blk/tan & the rest of the pups were typical black/tan.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Zaks mum was golden sable and his dad was pure white long coat, out of 11 pups there were no sables, 2 white long coats and 9 black and tans with various coat lengths. I dont think you can tell what you will get till they arrive,but you can guarantee they will be gorgeous.

·
Registered
31,707 Posts
My understanding is there really is no such thing as "silver". The Silver is really just a washed out tan. So the puppies will be black/tan with varying pigment to the tan.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
what color does your breeder think they're going to be?

I went to my breeder for her to show me the parents of the puppy im going to be getting in July and the Mother is Silver and Black and the Father is Black and Tan, I would like to have a traditional Black and tan but im not so sure of what I will get? Anyone have some idea's??? :)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
"silver" is just a washed out tan. So the pups will likely be black and tan like the parents. Could be pure black, could be blanket back, less likely bicolor and probably very unlikely sable. As pups you should be able to see which ones will have richer pigments, more "tan" like, and which ones will have lighter pigment, "silver"

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
And there's always a slight chance that a pup will be white (depending on if the parents carry the white gene of course). :)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
My breeder told me she would never have a pure white unless if she would breed with a pure white, and she didnt. :)
GSDs of any color can carry the white masking gene though it seems to have been bred out of most lines ... it doesn't take breeding a white to a white to get a white ... it's possible to get whites by breeding two colored GSDs together as long as both sire and dam each carry the white gene.

·
Registered
100 Posts
When you're looking at the pups, note the different tones of tan. Our girl has a "silver" tan mom and a red father. You could definitely see the difference in each pup. While I preferred red over the silver, and while she is red, she's wasn't the darkest. In the end we picked by personality even though there was a gorgeous dark red little girl you knew would grow up with a deep pigment of red.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
No such thing as silver - it's just faded pigment. Most likely the pup will be black and tan with tan being faded. Black will disappear as the dog ages as it loses pigment

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
When you're looking at the pups, note the different tones of tan. Our girl has a "silver" tan mom and a red father. You could definitely see the difference in each pup. While I preferred red over the silver, and while she is red, she's wasn't the darkest. In the end we picked by personality even though there was a gorgeous dark red little girl you knew would grow up with a deep pigment of red.
I agree, I like to get a pup based on personality traits vs color too. In fact I like the breeder to pick a pup for me after I give her/him my "shopping list" of what I'm looking for in a dog.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts