German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good grief! If it’s Not One Thing it’s Another......:crazy:

Miikka was diagnosed with kennel cough last week. She was put on antibiotics and a cough suppressant. We had some problems with the antibiotics as they were causing diarrhea. However, Miikka has a history of loose stools so who knows if the antibiotics were causing the problems (but I believe they were, this time). The supposed kennel cough has gotten much, much better! She has not coughed at all for the last several days....until.....

Last night around 7:00 we got home from our walk and Miikka goes to her water bowl for a drink of water. While she’s drinking the water she starts coughing/gagging. I though well maybe she’s just drinking too fast. For the rest of the evening, whenever she had water or food she would cough/gag afterward. She has not coughed any other time....just upon eating/drinking.

I have never been comfortable with the kennel cough diagnosis. Miikka rarely goes anywhere because she still gets carsickness. I was told she could pick KC up while we are out on our daily walks but, gee, I find that a little hard to swallow. I’m wondering if she could possibly have some kind of issue going on with her esophagus, instead of having kennel cough.

I googled “canine esophagus issues” and got hits for megaesophagus. However, I don’t think that is what Miikka has because one of the primary symptoms of that illness is regurgitation of their food and she does not do that.

If anyone knows of any other disease or illness that can affect the esophagus please let me know. I will google it. By the way, whatever she has, has had no affect on her activity level! She is full of energy and loves to play, play, play!!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Seriously, your dog does not need direct contact with another dog to get kennel cough and your dog has all the classic signs of it. She definitely does not have megaesophagus. About the only other possible problem would be laryngeal paralysis and this doesn't sound enough like it.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
With KC, they typically start coughing/gagging with activity. You mentioned she coughed when you got back and she went for a drink. Has she been coughing or gagging when she first starts moving around before any activity?

IE: let out of crate in the AM or when you get home, they'll usually go into a coughing/gagging fit. Getting excited to have the leash put on to go outside, same thing. etc

·
Registered
397 Posts
Poor miss Miika and poor mom too! :( I dont know if you have these in NM but they can cause issues like you are desribing- Foxtails if not I would think of reverse sneezing but it really doesnt fit with the eating/drinking... I would go back to the vet or a different one for a second opinion :(

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With KC, they typically start coughing/gagging with activity. You mentioned she coughed when you got back and she went for a drink. Has she been coughing or gagging when she first starts moving around before any activity? NO. Not at all.

IE: let out of crate in the AM or when you get home, they'll usually go into a coughing/gagging fit. Getting excited to have the leash put on to go outside, same thing. etc
At this point, she is only coughing/gagging upon eating/drink.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If she is coughing but not regurgitating after eating/drinking it could be a problem with her trachea. The fact that it occurred again after her walk could mean the collar pressure (does she pull at all?) could have aggravated this as well.
There are various other esophageal problems it could be, such as a stricture.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Poor miss Miika and poor mom too! :( I dont know if you have these in NM but they can cause issues like you are desribing- Foxtails if not I would think of reverse sneezing but it really doesnt fit with the eating/drinking... I would go back to the vet or a different one for a second opinion :(

WOW! Yes, we have Foxtails here too. Hmmm

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If she is coughing but not regurgitating after eating/drinking it could be a problem with her trachea. The fact that it occurred again after her walk could mean the collar pressure (does she pull at all?) could have aggravated this as well.
There are various other esophageal problems it could be, such as a stricture.
Yes, she does pull, at times. However, last night, after the first cough/gag spell, I watched her very carefully. I would give her water to see if she would cough/gag. She would. After 30 minutes, or more, of NO coughing/gagging I would give her food/water and sure enough she’d cough/gag again. I repeated this several times and had the same results.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does she cough when she puts her head down to do anything else (besides eating)? Sniffing the ground, etc?

No..just after eating or drinking. Mainly after drinking water, though.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Serious newbie question for ya, but she IS on heartworm prevention, right? Silly question I know, but I had to ask. Don't skin me please!
Yes, she takes a monthly pill. And its not a dumb question! :)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Sounds like mild dysphagia. I think you should call the vet and let them know what is going on, run that by him/her. I looked back at your previous post about gagging. Maybe the initial episode was caused by a foreign body?? Whatever it is and whatever caused it is guesswork unless a physical exam is done. I think you should call the vet because it is obviously abnormal.
I know you don't want to do this--I know how it can seem like you are sitting in that vet's office waaay too often! I hope it's nothing serious and she does fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.