German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a disaster struck what would you do? Would you take them with you? Or leave them there? What if you couldn't take them with you? Or if no one was home at the time what then?

I would find some way to take my dogs with me. I'd take my cat, but honsetly I probably wouldn't be able to fnd her and take her so I'd have to leave her there and hope she got out. If I wasnt home I'd call my neighbor and have them break in to get my dogs out.

What would you do to ensure your pets safety?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
That would depend on the disaster. During hurricane Ike we stayed at our house. Too many animals to attempt to rehome everyone during the storm. Had the dogs in kennels in the house. When the storm hit, moved everyone to the hallway.

We moved the horses to a friend's show barn, which is made partial of concrete.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'd take them with me. If i couldn't take them, i'd stay with them. I'd make sure I could get to them.
We actually had a huge forest fire here a couple of years ago. It was fairly close to our home, me, my dad and the rest of our family were at my brothers baseball game when we were evacuated. We snuck around the blocked off roads through a backroad to get home to get the dogs. Most terrifying moment of my life, but I don't know what i would have done if I wasn't able to get them :eek:

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
We live on top of a hill that only a flood of biblical proportions would take out. The only real natural disaster we could face is a tornado, and those are rare in this part of the country. Yes, I would find a way to take my dogs with me, or find a safe place with family or friends if there wasn't a way.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I think about that all the time, like Lilie said it depends on the disaster. I have a stash of bottled water and canned food, I try to avoid running out of dry food, I buy a back up before I am out. I could never leave them, I'd rather risk my life by staying with them. I have to get life preservers but I have those noodles (I think thats what they are called long foam things for a pool) I could easily rig them up as life preservers. My horses are never locked in the barn, if I had to I would set them free. I guess I worry about flooding. Unfortunately living on Long Island you have to come to the realization that you could never get off this island at least not quickly.
If I were not home I would get there or die trying.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
If I can't take them with me then I would stay with them. Fortunately I don't live anywhere close to a river so I don't worry about flooding, tornadoes are a rarity but you stay home during them anyway and hurricanes come inland sometimes but we always ride them out. But if something did happen where there was a mandatory evacuation then they would be loaded in the care and they would go with me. No way would I leave any of them behind. And if my house caught fire, well, I don't leave the burning building until they are with me. They are my babies, not "just animals" to me and no way would I leave them somewhere to die. No way, No how.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Disasters don't strike at my place.

But in a disaster scenario...

I have no other human family, my dogs are my family. Need I say more?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
We live on top of a hill that only a flood of biblical proportions would take out. The only real natural disaster we could face is a tornado, and those are rare in this part of the country. Yes, I would find a way to take my dogs with me, or find a safe place with family or friends if there wasn't a way.
Like Jax, if our place were to be flooded, we'd be looking for the ark.

We do have snow issues here, but we'd be hunkering down with the dog. Because we are far enough away from family, we'd be sticking together. My first, and really only, choice is to take dog with us.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
everyone gets loaded into the van and/or the xterra and if we have to sleep in the vehicles then we sleep in the vehicles but i wont leave them behind. They are family. flooding, well i would have no issue stealing a boat for survival of my kids and my furkids. tornado, cats and dogs get crated as close to a safe area in the house as possible. Hurricane... well depends on what happens. Staying home or stealing a boat when its safe to go outside.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
+ 1

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
We're lucky. As far as disasters the main one here is a tornado and they in the basement with us and in their crates. We don't have to worry about floods where we are and they live for a blizzard.
They love the snow.
For anything else, if we go, they go and it's not open for negotiation.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Here in western Illinois we are in the late spring and early summer
tornado alley. Ive made the mad dash to the basement numerous
times over the past 20 years living here.

First thing that goes with me is the dog. Everything else is expendable.
If I had to leave and for some reason I couldnt take Abby I would stay
with her. What ever happens will happen to us together.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I actually went through a flood in 1999. Hurricane Floyd hit eastern NC and we had flooding like we never could have imagined. We always stay put during hurricanes partly because of our pets and partly because we just don't want to leave our homes. During Floyd we actually thought we had made it through the storm when we turned on the radio and heard the announcer asking people to pray for the people in our area! :eek: We started watching out the window and saw the water coming up fast so we packed a few things and my husband went to ready my FIL's pontoon boat - no problem right? Wrong! FIL had removed the plugs so boat was already half sunk! We live next door to inlaws (thankfully they were out of town) who have a 2 story house so we take dogs and go there. Water still risisng very fast. Our daughter was 10 at the time so getting her to safety became priority. We left all 3 dogs in inlaws house so they could go to second floor if they needed to (hard to do but our daughter's safety came first), left bowls of water and food out then left in our canoe. DH tied a rope around his chest connected to the canoe and pulled us almost a mile to higher ground (he is 6'4" and water came to his upper chest). We eventually caught a ride out with a farmer who had one of those tractors with huge tires. Hard to leave the dogs but i would do it again if i had to there was no way they could have come in the canoe with us. Saddest boat ride i ever had - :cry:
DH and I went back in asap the next day to check on dogs, long story but they were fine. We had been told we lost one but we actually ended up with an extra one for a few days.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I was forced to evacuate my house about 4 years ago due to fire, it was ****, the police used a megaphone to wake me up and tell me to evacuate, I told him I had to make arrangements for my animals, 6 horses, 4 dogs, 2 cats and 2 rabbits, he informed me they were not priority and to leave immediately, I went absolutely ape**** in his face and said to leave me behind because I was not leaving without my animals, he told me to suit myself and die for them, I told him I would rather die trying to save them all than running away and leaving them behind like a gutless coward, he just shook his head and walked away, thank God I am blessed with some of the greatest friends on earth, they came up at 2:30 am with 4 horse trailers and every horse, dog, cat and rabbit were safely moved to safety, I never want to go through that again!!!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
The dogs would come with us, no question. I'd do my darndest to bring the cats too, even if it meant strapping a cat carrier to my back.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My dogs are family also, they are very loved but you can't put a dogs life before a child's. The other people in our area were airlifted out by the Coast Guard - this was a very serious flood in which many people lost their lives. DH and I canoed back in the next morning to check on our dogs who thankfully were fine. Coast Guard tried to get us then but we waved them off and stayed with the dogs. Thankfully we didn't lose our home but many of our neighbors did. I never would have thought i would leave my dogs either but when push came to shove we did what we had to and tried to give them the best chance possible. I am so grateful that all 3 survived. Only 1 is still living and she is now 13.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Years ago we had a major flood due to a tropical storm. Everything flooded. I had a mare that had foaled two weeks prior. We had to lead them down the street to higher grounds so that we could haul them out to my sister's place.

I actually had to put soggy hay bales in the back yard so the dog's could get out of the water. We built them an island with it. The flood waters only stayed for 24 hours, but it was something I hope we never go through again.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would do my best to get them out.
Last year we were coming back from my nieces house when some major hail hit and then flooding started, I had both my kids and Shadow in the car, I was terrified. Cars were dying all around me, even some trucks. All road rules seamed to go out the window. Hail the size of tennis balls were pelting down hard, the drains couldn't cope. My older son just kept telling me to keep my revs up, I could hardly see out my window. I should have turned back, but I was worried about the little dogs that were still at home. I got to my street and I couldn't see the road or the footpath, I had a cab following me. I put my foot down and floored it, the water was lapping at my door, well passed the foot well. Thank goodness it didn't die. I had to drive straight passed my house because the driveway wasn't visible, we drove past my sons car which was a drift in the middle of our street. We headed to my friends house which is at the end of my street but up on a small hill, I parked the car, shoved my youngest in her front door and ran home. My oldest son headed home before me to try and push his car out of the road. It was so deep Shadow had to swim to our front door. Thank goodness the little dogs hadn't been hurt, they'd been outside on my back deck. They'd managed to climb on a table and press themselves against the back windows, the roof of my back deck looked like confetti it had all been smashed. Once the dogs were safely inside we went out to push my sons car to higher ground.
My sons car had about a foot of water inside it, but dried out and is still going, alot of my neighbors cars were right offs. The cab that followed me down my street, conked out just in front of my house. Apparently my car was ok because of the way the exhaust is positioned, water couldn't get in if I kept my rev's up, good to know if I ever get another car, the position of the exhaust will be a must.
Our little flood was no where near what Queensland went threw. Our plan now is to get out as early as possible so that we can take everyone, if we get stuck in flooding get to the roof and pray like mad.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
First, I am sorry for some of you that I read who have gone through such tragedies. Me? I would die with my pets before leaving them. As a Realtor, I have found dead animals in abandoned homes and would never risk such a thing with my pets. Rehoming isn't an option for me either.
If you want to watch a gut wrenching story; watch Mine on Netflix it is a documentary about the hurricane Katrina in New Orleans and what people went through to get their pets back.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts