German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys/gals, I purchased my first german shepherd a couple of weeks ago she is about 13 weeks now. Female. I live in a 2 bed room apartment but its not that small but I have been doing some thinking whether I should keep her or not.

I have a 1 month old daughter, my first child. This is also my first real dog this size. Right now the only problems with my shepherd is getting her to go potty outside and one of my cats always hisses at her and scares that crap out of the shepherd to where she whines.

My 1 month old keeps me pretty busy, changing her, feeding etc. My girlfriend living here is a lot of help though so I do have a lot of time for the shepherd then she would.

But IDK if I should keep her because something in me tells me to find her a better home but IDK. We had a morkie tea cup dog that was very energized but very easy to take care of. She is at my girlfriends moms house right now.

IDK if I should keep her and stick it out, or find her a better home. I know a guy who has had sheps before and he has 4 kids and said he gets lonely. He lives in a 2 br trailer with nice area he said. But I am a sucker for animals. I feel bad when I look at her and see her sad face when she lays down.

Please do not criticize me or flam the thread, I would really appreciate it if I can get some opinions on the situation.

I spent over $200 on accessories at pet smart on her to :/ with a princess collar with her name on it.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Honestly, if only after a few weeks you are having second thoughts, it might be a good idea to find her a different home.

With a brand new 1 month old baby and a puppy, that is a lot of stress on a young family.

You can always wait till your baby is older and then revisit the idea of having a pet.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I don't mean this to sound rude, but why is your other dog at a friend's mom's house? If it wasn't working with that one, why get another?

It doesn't sound like you planned this out very well, animals are a life long commitment. Can you return her to the breeder?

I would return her to the breeder if possible and not take on any new pets until you're ready to commit to them for the next 10-15 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It sounds like you didn't know what you were getting into - like you just wanted a cute puppy and made an impulse purchase. (I'm going to have to assume from a puppy mill or backyard breeder, to boot, since I can't imagine a reputable breeder putting a puppy into this situation. So I would assume returning the pup to the breeder is out.)

These dogs aren't couch potatoes and need some serious exercise every day. I am also in a two bedroom apartment right now and I will be the first to say that having a young GSD in an apartment is a bad idea for most people. I don't have a yard to just let him run around in, so I have to get up and go out and exercise him outside every single day. This means finding off-leash areas, doing lots of on-leash training, etc.

I am sorry, but I don't think you are going to have the time or energy to take care of an adolescent GSD's needs with a toddler, while going to school full time, and in an apartment. If you are already rethinking it while she is only 13 weeks, I am concerned that you are just going to rehome her, anyway - only later when she'll be older and it's harder to find a new home.

Has she been to puppy class? Is she meeting lots of new people and going new places? Do you have time for that? If not, you are setting her up for failure later.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My gf and I were going to take her to a petco dog class. I'm very athletic, I work out daily at the apartment here at the complex. I am self employed currently online until I get more school done or just get a part time job. My GF will be attending college in August as well. I take the pup outside the apartment and I'll run with her around the entire complex. I haven't taken her to any other areas besides a local park the other day and we walked around the trail. She meets quite a few new people often. I have friends and family who are coming over the apartment a lot.

And a couple of times I have taken her to my GFs moms who has other animals. And my dads house has a lab/pit and they play around in the back yard.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I think that you have way too much going on to really do the things you need to do for a puppy. If a small mixed breed dog was too much to handle right now, a German Shepherd puppy is too much as well. She is 11 weeks old right now, but in the blink of an eye she is going to be 16 weeks and 20 weeks and so on, and she is going to get bigger and she is going to need training and more exercise and on and on.

Contact a reputable German Shepherd rescue and surrender her now. Do it while she is still young enough to be very adoptable. Most rescues have a waiting list of approved homes waiting for young puppies. If you wait until she has gotten older she will have to compete with all the other older puppies who also outgrew their homes.

If you contact a rescue and surrender her, they can use all the resources at their disposal to make sure she ends up in the kind of home that is ready for her. They will do a home check and make sure she gets spayed. You'll be doing the right thing for her, which is putting her in a position to get to the people that can finish the job you started when you took her in.

You know in your heart what the right thing is. Not the easy thing, or the thing you want to do, but the right thing for everyone involved. But especially the right thing for the puppy.

Good luck as you work it out.
Sheilah

·
Registered
5 Posts
My gf and I were going to take her to a petco dog class. I'm very athletic, I work out daily at the apartment here at the complex. I am self employed currently online until I get more school done or just get a part time job. My GF will be attending college in August as well. I take the pup outside the apartment and I'll run with her around the entire complex. I haven't taken her to any other areas besides a local park the other day and we walked around the trail. She meets quite a few new people often. I have friends and family who are coming over the apartment a lot.

And a couple of times I have taken her to my GFs moms who has other animals. And my dads house has a lab/pit and they play around in the back yard.
OK, then if you are so capable of keeping her happy, healthy, trained, and entertained - Why are you posting this thread?

This isn't about an attack on you or your lifestyle. People here are just trying to give advice that is in the best interest of the puppy based on the information you gave. Saying in your thread that you don't think you'll have the time + a history of giving up your last dog to get a new puppy isn't reflecting well on the suitability of your home for a GSD pup (and if we are honest, any new puppy).

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I'm only 21 and full time student.
Sometimes, even with best intentions, things just don't work out. I applaud you for realizing that the way things are going now are not in the best interest of your pup. It is much easier to re-home a pup then it would be a full grown dog.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I think with school and a new baby you probably won't have the time to commit to the new puppy. GSD's take an INCREDIBLE amount of time and commitment to raise properly.

Most reputable breeders will charge around $1500 for a new puppy (for future reference), so getting one for $400, no offense, it's probably not the best breeder.

Anyway, I agree with the others. The easiest time to rehome this dog is now, while it's very young. See if there is a GSD rescue close to you and give them a call.

A new baby is going to be quite a big lifestyle change as it is, so it's best to focus on your new family for now. Maybe in the future when things are more settled and secure you can look at bringing your current dog home and go from there?

Good luck! And please don't wait, they grow very quickly and this time is critical for them as far as socializing and training goes.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The real problem is when people get too busy to train and exercise a puppy on a daily basis, the puppy usually ends up out of control. He/she most likely will develope bad habits out of boredom and lack of training. The owner gets fustrated because now even more exercise & training are needed and "usually" ends up dumping the dog because the dog is out of control.
You really can't put an exact time and effort on training and exercise. Sometimes it's more sometimes it's less but it's always something.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Sometimes, even with best intentions, things just don't work out. I applaud you for realizing that the way things are going now are not in the best interest of your pup. It is much easier to re-home a pup then it would be a full grown dog.
Absolutely :thumbup: I agree your putting the dogs well being first and wanna do what's right for the dog so I cannot fault you or lecture you, having a 1 month baby is hard work and consumes a lot of time and having a puppy on top of that is like having 2 baby's, if you deem it necessary to rehome your puppy for whatever the reason you should do what's best for all involved and like stated above much easier to do now then later.. It might hurt you but you will feel better knowing you did the right thing for everyone involved...

I have have three children 3,5,7 but I waited till they were a bit older then got my dogs because I knew my kids would take up most of my time and patience lol..

Hope all works out well for you whatever you decide and well wishes :) Oh and congratulations on the new baby!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I paid $400 for her. Got all her shots the other day at the vet it cost over $125.
Puppies need 3 sets of shots (8 weeks, 12 weeks, and 16 weeks) before you can take them out places where they are exposed to unknown dogs and other animals. This is how puppies get parvo.

I would not be walking your 11 week old puppy around the park. You're better off carrying her if you have to take her out.

How many hours of exercise is usually needed?
Every dog is different. Each dog has their own personality and exercise requirements. Some need more than others, but this is an active and intelligent breed. A walk a day probably isn't going to cut it.

And in my heart, I KNOW I treat my animals like queens and make sure they have everything. I love them to death.
Treat your dog like a dog, not a queen or princess. She's not a human so don't look at her that way. Dogs need guidance, training, exercise, and need to be part of their families lives. That's what they need. If you can't provide that throughout her life, it's probably best to rehome her now.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
How many hours of exercise is usually needed?
I think every dog is different. My GSD (8 months old) has a backyard to play in and we don't go on many walks and I never run with him. He has a front leg issue and we have to encourage him not to overdo it. He doesn't act like he needs more exercise though. He is very calm and enjoys just being near us. He'll lay done and play with a ball or chew toy. He is pretty low energy, but he will run around outside.

My small 30 pound shepherd mix (7 years old) is very high energy. He lets us know he needs to play. He just goes non stop until he sleeps.

My 20 pound shepherd mix (6 years old) is more like the GSD. She will run around and play, but compared to my oldest dog she is not high energy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dogs especially GSD need training & guidance, especially if you have a baby. The puppy is going to get bigger, and so is your baby. If you don't get proper training for your puppy now, your baby could get seriously hurt later on. GSD are a breed that always needs to be learning- they are working dogs that need to be active both mentally & physically. If they don't have that they can get bored & destructive.

My old dog was 1 year older than my son. I invested a lot of time & money into training him because I knew I was going to start a family. And I continued training him throughout his life. But even with a professionally trained dog, I always had to keep my eye on him & my son. Toddlers can get into lots of trouble on their own, then add a young dog to the mix. Do you really have that time & money to devote to both a puppy & a baby? Babies are very expensive, and dogs always need vet care & other expenses.

Spoiling a dog isn't enough to be a good master & owner. You need to take a serious look at your circumstances ASAP so your dog can be re-homed before he gets too big.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Your pup is 13 wks; a critical time in socializing. Having a month old baby as well as being a full time student, how can you possibly have the adequate time needed for the pup and the needed socializing? Very shortly, it will be time to begin training classes. Sure the class may only be once or twice a week, but then there is the training you do at home; short sessions several times a day.

On a darker note, does the breeder know the history of the parents? Temperament issues may start showing up, will you have the time to deal with those and keep your baby safe?

As someone said already, you are questioning whether you can take care of this pup or not. Your gut instincts are kicking in. Contact the breeder to see if they will take the pup back. If they won't take it back, contact a respected rescue. They will be able to place her in a suitable home that is ready for a pup.

Keep updated with this forum, by the time you are really ready for a GSD pup, you will have learned tons and know what to look for in a breeder.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Rehome the puppy. Its not the pups job to grow up and protect. It's your job to protect the dog. You have your hands full with school and your daughter. Hold off on the GSD until you have time, energy, more time and your daughter is bigger. A GSD in an apartment can be done but it doesn't sound like this is the best time for you do try it out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts