German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor is terrified to let his indoor cat outside for fear that it may disappear or get eaten by the foxes that live in a burrow just off my backyard, his fix to this problem was deciding to "walk" his cat on a leash around the neighborhood that way he still had control over him. Fine, whatever, your cat.

However with all the space right behind my house, which is why I chose my lot, he ALWAYS walks his dumb cat directly behind my house which sets my dogs off...bad. Personally, I'm not a cat person. I don't mind petting other people's cats but I don't want one of my own. I've asked him again and again to not walk his cat behind my house because it aggravates the dogs and he fails every time. He had the nerve to come over a few weeks back and tell me I needed to crate my dogs in the house because they were going to "break thru the back door" after him and his cat because they were jumping on the back door. (not something I typically allow, but had stepped out of the room) I am working on redirecting them on this but the friggin cat is just so tempting.

I am having a fence installed this week (should've been last week but got pushed) which will hopefully put a band aid on the problem, but it just SOOOOO aggravates me that he allows his cat to run all around in my back yard and just off my property line and the dogs think it's a toy running around so they go nuts! This morning I ran upstairs to catch a picture so you could see what I mean, ALL THIS SPACE and the idiot chooses to stand JUST off my property line. :mad:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm guessing he's messing with you by the looks of that picture. Where does he live in relation to the picture?

Unfortunately there's not much you can do but rant if he's not on your property. Too many people thrive on having drama and conflict in their life, and this guy appears to be one of 'em.

·
Registered
32,562 Posts
Is he on your property? If so, he is trespassing. If not, then he has every right to walk there unless the other property owner objects.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
LOL. I like how you captured him on camera!!

I guess if it's not your property he can do whatever he wants, but still! I see why you are frustrated and I don't understand why some people do stuff just to aggravate others. I mean it doesn't look like there's a lack of space. Watch out he might be waiting for your dogs to do something, or maybe he just has a huge crush on you and wants to be by your house!

No, idk. But i see what you mean!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If he was on MY property, I'd raise **** and I've done it before. If he's outside your property line then there's not much you can do and again, some people thrive on conflict and watching people boil.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I understand your frustration. Why can't this guy just cooperate & keep the peace.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I'm guessing he's messing with you by the looks of that picture. Where does he live in relation to the picture?

Unfortunately there's not much you can do but rant if he's not on your property. Too many people thrive on having drama and conflict in their life, and this guy appears to be one of 'em.
Thats my feeling too. Jax & others are correct that legally he may have the right to be there...but why does want to? Not only is it disrupting the dogs but I'm sure his cats aren't digging it either.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Do you actually own that property that he's on behind your house or is it a community area for everyone?

If you own it and don't want him there, call the cops and tell them he's trespassing. If you own the area where he is and you're telling him not to be there and he doesn't listen than you should involve the police.

He obviously doesn't care about your friendship or keeping the piece by ignoring what you've asked him to do, so involving the police couldn't do anything but help.

·
Registered
32,562 Posts
What kind of fence are you putting up? Chain link or privacy? If it's a chain link I would make sure to put the slats in it to help block the view.

He isn't necessarily doing this to twist you. He may just not be the sharpest tack in the box. I'm going with the tack theory since he was dumb enough to tell you to crate your dogs in your own house.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I had a similar situation once, except I was the “idiot neighbor”

The person that lived directly next door to us asked me not to walk Bella in front of her house because it made her dog bark. She had a little terrier thing that would sit at her window and yap when anyone walked by. Actually, she told everyone who walked past her house the same thing...it wasn’t just me.

At first, I calmly reminded her that the street was public property and I could walk Bella on the street if I wanted to. I told her to keep the dog away from the window....pretty simple.

She persisted. I finally had to get nasty. I told her to f***-off, among other things. She never bothered me again.

Like Jax said, if he’s on public property there is not much you can do, he has every right to be there. Putting up a fence will might help.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Looking closer at the picture, I see that's your roof in the corner. He actually is pretty close to your house. Why doesn't he walk the cat (that sounds so weird!) over by those trees???

Honestly, if he came to your door and was worried about your dogs 'breaking through the door' he wouldn't be right behind your house unless he was trying to cause trouble. If he won't leave the cat out bacause he's worried about the foxes, then he wouldn't be behind your house if he's worried about your GSD's which are each about 4x the size of a fox.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
She persisted. I finally had to get nasty. I told her to f***-off, among other things. She never bothered me again.
This is what I had to do just a few days ago when an :censored: soldier that moved into a rental house a few doors down decided he needed to become king of the block even to people who have been here 5+ years.

·
Registered
669 Posts
(Heavy sarcasm ahead ;)) I think you should be nice and go out with your dogs (leashed of course) when he is out there and do a proper introduction, since he and his cat are so interested in your dogs. I am sure that a "meet and greet" is neccessary and probably be enjoyable on your part, but not so much for him and his cat.
...........Or you can call the police. I think I would feel like I was being stalked. And you never know these days with all the freaks out there. I'm sure the police would agree that a man who walks his cat and just stands there looking in your house on a continuos basis is a person of interest. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Lefty, I know you understandably posted this story to basically vent. And, I'm glad you did...So, I don't want to make more of it than it is...but I used to work closely with the liability/legal department at my company...and I think you should save that picture and make dated notes of your conversations with the neighbor. Just in case anything happens you'll have a paper trail to show you made a good faith effort to avoid any issues.

·
Registered
32,562 Posts
Thats my feeling too. Jax & others are correct that legally he may have the right to be there...but why does want to? Not only is it disrupting the dogs but I'm sure his cats aren't digging it either.
I didn't say he legally had the right to do so. I said if he did if the OTHER property owner didn't care. I, personally, would find out who owned the property and see if they were having the same problem.

Since the guy is being not so smart about the whole thing. If he showed up on my door again, I might call the police and see if it was considered harassment. Sometimes, a visit from a LEO fixes the problem. And I also get the impression that the guy is going through the OP's property. That is trespassing.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I didn't say he legally had the right to do so. I said if he did if the OTHER property owner didn't care. I, personally, would find out who owned the property and see if they were having the same problem.

Since the guy is being not so smart about the whole thing. If he showed up on my door again, I might call the police and see if it was considered harassment. Sometimes, a visit from a LEO fixes the problem. And I also get the impression that the guy is going through the OP's property. That is trespassing.
All I meant was even if this guy has the legal right to be on that property...it doesn't mean he should....or that the OP still cannot cover his/her butt

Sorry if I misquoted you

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
If it's public property than just bring your dogs out so he can see what you have to deal with in the house when he's back there. If it's public, you have every right to bring your dogs out there that he has to bring his cat back there. If a couple barking GSD's scare him off than i guess that's too bad for them.

Obviously i'm suggesting this if you're 100% sure you have complete control of your dogs. No one needs to get hurt, especially a defenseless cat. A little barking and lunging couldn't hurt though.

·
Registered
819 Posts
...........Or you can call the police. I think I would feel like I was being stalked. And you never know these days with all the freaks out there. I'm sure the police would agree that a man who walks his cat and just stands there looking in your house on a continuos basis is a person of interest. Good luck.
At one point, my neighbor did call the police on me (walking past her house with my dog). The police laughed at her and told her if she calls again for something so inconsequential they’ll throw HER ass in jail.

Also, it doesn't look like he is standing there looking in her house. It looks like he is looking down at his cat. At least that is what I see.

·
Registered
32,562 Posts
I think taking your dogs out there is a terrible idea. What if a leash breaks? What if the guy decides to call the police and say you have viscous dogs that tried to attack him and his cat? There are way to many variables that you can't control and I think that is just asking for trouble.

You better have lots of witnesses if you do that! This guy was audacious enough to come right up to your door and demand you crate your dogs in your own house...what will he decide to do if you have your dogs outside?

A simple phone call to the police to see what rights you have would probably be the best option. Even after the fence is up, if your dogs are outside while he decides to walk your cat they will be lunging at the fence.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts