German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been taking Rocky to a 'calm and control' class. We've been working on different techniques for calm behavior. So, I took him to the dog park tonight to let him run off some energy. There was a dog there (my neighbor lady) so I was going to leave but she said to stay to see how they'd do together. Well, Rocky was his normal self, crazy, haywire and trying to mount the other dog. I did the techniques the teacher showed us, but they did nothing. However, ONE time he did actually look at me when I called his name. I consider that progress. Do you think this is something I should try on a regular basis or do you think it is pushing him past his 'threshhold'? I need to get him in real-life situations, but I don't want to scare him. Thanks

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
i think it is past his threshold..........to much at once............
you can't expect that he's going to stay calm when its playtime with another dog..........

if your trying to get him to be calm in the presence of other dogs i would give him more distance so that you can get his attention..........if your socializing him with other dogs for play, there is no way he's going to be calm playing off leash. So, you need to decide which you want to work on before hand.........

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Pushing him over threshold can put you many steps back in your training program. It's best to follow what your instructor is suggesting in class.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts