German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

My backyard is straight dirt and weeds because no point in planting grass with the dogs. However this week I am finishing the fence and installing a dog door. Obviously when it rains or snows mud is a huge issue.

Any ideas or recommendations for ground covering that would be durable for the dogs, easily maintained, and keep mud to a minimum, I would LOVE the fake lawn but way out of my price range.

Pictures would be great as well.

Thank you!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
80 Posts
Pea gravel. The smooth orange stones that you can walk on barefoot, not the jagged grey stuff that hurts like heck.

LO

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
How big is the yard and how level and what is growing there now?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How big is the yard and how level and what is growing there now?
Its fairly small, long. It does have a moderate slope all along the length from the house to the fence

Now it's mostly dirt with various weeds, mostly ground cover
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've always had grass yards, but my friends raised and kept their boxer (who grew to 90lb!) with a yard of hardwood chips, they never had problems with termites, and cleaning up his potty area was a simple act of having a poop scooper like a smaller version of those used for horses (one long handled flat shovel, one dirt pan). Ended up being a lot easier to clean up after the dog than grass since the dirty chips went into the poop bin with the dogs business.
Not sure about what treatments you can give the woodchips that are non-harmful to dogs but I'm sure your local home depo et al would know.

I know there are also some bark mixes that dissuade termites if you're in an area prone to them.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I would say with a slope a shredded mulch may be the way to go.
Gravel, playground mulch, and bark mulch tend to slip downhill

shredded bark mulch is quite affordable if you can get it delivered but then it is a lot of work to move it and you do have to keep replacing it (Seems like once a year for me). Rain will create a channel through it if there is a specific place where runoff goesl.

I don't put wood anything right against my foundation. Actually I keep clear about a half foot out. You can put down nematodes (varieties that kill termites, ticks, fleas) with hardwood mulch and just water it in real well).

You can get an idea of cost by googling "mulch caculator" and figure about 3 inches deep for reasonable covereage. A tree company here sells a product that is only about 14 a yard delivered but most of what I see is about 30-35 a yard. [cubic yards]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking for ideas for the ground cover in a puppy/litter, outdoor run. I am concerned about puppies chewing on woodchips and eating pea gravel. Maybe sand would be good? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts