German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are registering Kias for the AKC. Ideas for names?
He's from Golden Valley Kennels.
He's from Copake, NY
He's sable.
Kias vom Golden Valley? It just doesn't sound very official. Any better ideas?

·
Super Moderator
5,509 Posts
Picking a registered name can be crazy! You don’t have to use his call name in his registered name if you don’t want to. My current dog’s name is Lauremi’s Almost Wasn’t. Kennel name is Lauremi, and call name Scarlet.

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
We are registering Kias for the AKC. Ideas for names?
He's from Golden Valley Kennels.
He's from Copake, NY
He's sable.
Kias vom Golden Valley? It just doesn't sound very official. Any better ideas?
He's not registered under the breeder's kennel name?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes as above, usually the breeder will use their own kennel name. Did they not tell you to do that? Most breeders will also choose the name as well as the kennel name (you can choose whatever call name you want). How are the parents named through the kennel? It should be the same as that.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I've had one shepherd I got to name and his registration application that was given to me began with his kennel name and the first letter of his registered name, both of which had to be followed. So I was able to make his name anything starting with that letter and after the kennel name.

Same with my lab. Only he has no starting letter. Just Kennel Name's ____

Seemsblike working like breeders usually go vom kennel name and American show breeders tend to be Kennel Name's ___.

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
working line breeders tend to use a German naming convention. Vom/Von depends on the feminine/masculine of the main noun in the kennel name.

Kathryn - if there are no rules stated by the breeder then name him whatever you want.

·
Super Moderator
5,509 Posts
Seemsblike working like breeders usually go vom kennel name and American show breeders tend to be Kennel Name's ___.
Yes. And themes are very popular in show lines. One of my Italian Greyhounds came from the “ice cube” litter, with names like Ice Cream Sandwich, Ice Cold Beer, Chip Off the Iceberg. Russell was from the “peace litter”. His name is Lauremi’s Paix.

·
Super Moderator
5,509 Posts
Yes. And themes are very popular in show lines. One of my Italian Greyhounds came from the “ice cube” litter, with names like Ice Cream Sandwich, Ice Cold Beer, Chip Off the Iceberg. Russell was from the “peace litter”. His name is Lauremi’s Paix.

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
You could use your last name Kias vom/von xxxxhaus.
You could use a body of water near you. The lake or the river. Kias vom/von Lake. Kisa vom/von River. Or a mountain. Or the German phrase for something. A friends kennel means "storm hawks" in english. Seger's loosely translates to "seat of the pants" and Faren's incorporates the breeder's name with haus which means house.

Google translate the lake near you into German. It's kind of catchy with his first name.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I didn't know I could do anything. There are no rules by the breeder for naming.
Wow! Quite a variety. I had no idea I could choose so many! I'll have to dig into this more. We have a lake nearby called Candle-wood, and river in our backyard called Great Brook. Maybe I can think of something with those.
My last name is Italian so it wouldn't sound very good. It's kind of a weird last name.

What about colors?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting names! Seger's and Lauremi's Almost Wasn't. :D There's a lot of wiggle room then I guess.

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
Kias vom Kerzenholz (Candlewood)

colors are fine. color of what? Blue lake? blue river?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oooh. Love that one. Color of him. Sable. Is there a way to incorporate that?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here in the UK, it is the breeder that chooses the name to be registered; affix + name, usually beginning with the first letter of that litter (litter A, B, C or X, Y, Z etc).

Some will let the buyer choose a name as long as the first letter is the same as the rest of the litter but the kennel affix goes first.

The buyer, if they have a kennel affix themselves, can register their kennel name to be added at the end of the name as a suffix.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
Oooh. Love that one. Color of him. Sable. Is there a way to incorporate that?
Germans call Sable "grey".

Kias vom Grau Kerzenholz. Personally, I like it better without the color. I like simply and easy to say.

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
If you like that! I'm sure there is not another dog named that in AKC so you should be fine. And...after you compete at nationals when you are 18, you have a kennel name already ;)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, thanks everybody! I'll see what my parents think of that one! Its sound very professional. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts