German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to unfortunate circumstances I have found myself with a 5 week old puppy whom i love dearly. He can't go back to his litter as much as I would prefer he stay to get socialized. I have already begun talking to a trainer to get on top of socializing him as best as we can.
I'm concerned about his weight. Right now he weighs 4 lbs and is 5 1/2 weeks old. I'm getting really varied results when I google some saying hes fine and others saying that he is severely under weight, does anyone have any experience with pups this young and how much they should weigh?

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
It would help to see a pic of the puppy and to hear more about his overall health and energy levels. Is he eating well now and was he fully weaned and eating solid food when you got him?

I kept notes of the week-by-week weights of my most recent puppy (now 5 months old) and he was 9.5 lbs at 5 weeks. But he's a particularly big pup, and I don't think it's necessarily a problem that your puppy is on the small side right now if he's otherwise healthy. I've noticed a good number of folks coming to this site with small 8-week old puppies weighing only 8-9 lbs and they generally end up being average sized adults.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would help to see a pic of the puppy and to hear more about his overall health and energy levels. Is he eating well now and was he fully weaned and eating solid food when you got him?

I kept notes of the week-by-week weights of my most recent puppy (now 5 months old) and he was 9.5 lbs at 5 weeks. But he's a particularly big pup, and I don't think it's necessarily a problem that your puppy is on the small side right now if he's otherwise healthy. I've noticed a good number of folks coming to this site with small 8-week old puppies weighing only 8-9 lbs and they generally end up being average sized adults.

He was fully weaned. He's eating well, has decent energy levels, sleeps for probably 19/20 hours a day but when hes awake he's a bundle of energy. I'm also not too sure on how much to feed him, he always seems to want more food lol but we're concerned about feeding him too much and his stomach flipping. Here's a photo from yesterday. His feet are huge but he only weighs 4lbs. Unfortunately I'm having trouble getting in to see a vet as where I live were in full lock down province wide. I've left a few voicemails for a few different vets but havent heard anything back yet. We have had 2 german shepherds in the past but never this young or small.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What did the vet say?
I havent been able to get into a vet yet, I've left several voicemails for every well rated vet in my area but where I live were in a full province wide lockdown. Hs seems to be doing good put was hoping someone had experience or if I should just take him in to an emergency vet

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
He should be with his mom and littermates. Stuff like this really ticks me off. Early separation causes temperament and behavioral issues, not to mention how he learns and his ability to handle stress, that will impact his life.
When you pick him up does he feel solid? A healthy pup should feel solid when you pick it up. Can you easily feel bones?
He needs to be eating every few hours, small meals. Feed him whatever he will clean up in a sitting, Couple of minutes. I like canned food or moistened kibble for pups as they get more moisture and expend less energy to chew and digest it.
Make sure he has a draft free, cozy place to nap. Let him sleep all he wants, they need tons of rest.
You can lay the ground work for potty and crate training now, but be aware that he has no real control. You can shape behaviors really easy at this age.
What part of Canada are you in? Perhaps another member can recommend a vet. But he does need to be seen. Some emergency vets will schedule appointments.
When you take him in, carry him. Don't put him down, at all, don't let him contact other animals and aside from the staff don't let anyone touch him. No vaccines, he's too young, but he should probably be dewormed.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
He's adorable. At this age, I'd say the bigger concern with overfeeding him is that it'll give him runny poop. You can somewhat follow weight guidelines for feeding on whatever food you're giving him, but I'd recommend feeding him lots of small meals through the day until you see how his digestive system copes with it.

Sorry you're having a tough time getting into a vet. Keep trying because you'll want the little guy checked out and getting vaccinations on schedule. Also getting treatments for worms and other parasites if necessary. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
It would be a longshot, wondering if there's any hope of finding a foster mum with a similar aged litter on social media.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He should be with his mom and littermates. Stuff like this really ticks me off. Early separation causes temperament and behavioral issues, not to mention how he learns and his ability to handle stress, that will impact his life.
When you pick him up does he feel solid? A healthy pup should feel solid when you pick it up. Can you easily feel bones?
He needs to be eating every few hours, small meals. Feed him whatever he will clean up in a sitting, Couple of minutes. I like canned food or moistened kibble for pups as they get more moisture and expend less energy to chew and digest it.
Make sure he has a draft free, cozy place to nap. Let him sleep all he wants, they need tons of rest.
You can lay the ground work for potty and crate training now, but be aware that he has no real control. You can shape behaviors really easy at this age.
What part of Canada are you in? Perhaps another member can recommend a vet. But he does need to be seen. Some emergency vets will schedule appointments.
When you take him in, carry him. Don't put him down, at all, don't let him contact other animals and aside from the staff don't let anyone touch him. No vaccines, he's too young, but he should probably be dewormed.
Unforunately mom was injured by a car and required/requires multiple surgeries to get back to full health. Shes expected to recover but they could no longer take care of her and 7 puppies. Like I said, i did not intentionally pick up a 5 week old puppy, there were extenuating circumstances. The pups were eating solid food 90% of the time so they decided to move forward with the rehomings of the puppies.
He will eat multiple puppy sized bowls of food in one sitting if I let him. We are mixing his food with some berbers baby food for added nutrients ( something we learned from a vet years ago when we rescued a malnourished saint bernard) . I'm in ontario, GTA. I am working on getting him to a vet, but I can only work with what I've got, and yes I know not to put him down anywhere, that parvo is highly contagious he has been dewormed twice already and will be getting his third at 6 weeks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He's adorable. At this age, I'd say the bigger concern with overfeeding him is that it'll give him runny poop. You can somewhat follow weight guidelines for feeding on whatever food you're giving him, but I'd recommend feeding him lots of small meals through the day until you see how his digestive system copes with it.

Sorry you're having a tough time getting into a vet. Keep trying because you'll want the little guy checked out and getting vaccinations on schedule. Also getting treatments for worms and other parasites if necessary. Good luck!
Hes too young for his vaccines but he has been wormed twice and will be getting his 3rd at 6 weeks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would be a longshot, wondering if there's any hope of finding a foster mum with a similar aged litter on social media.
I dont know that they'd be willing to take in an unvaccinated pup or that I'm brave enough to trust that their dogs dont have anything :/

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
No baby food. Puppy food. When you add to a premade diet you disrupt the nutrient ratios. And baby food is for babies, not puppies. Most vets are not nutritionists. With really young pups I mix canned with formula, but at 5 weeks he should be fine.
Again, weight isn't important. It's all how he feels. When you lift a malnourished or underweight pup aside from feeling bones you will feel no substance. They have nothing to them. A healthy pup just feels solid when you lift it.
There are emerg clinics in your neck of the woods that will take appointments. I just don't know which ones. Try calling AC and see if they can recommend one.

·
Registered
32,717 Posts
I wouldn't get hung up on what a puppy should weigh. many factors in that - genetics, size of litter, care as a puppy. Just worry about him being a healthy weight for his size. I would try to get a vet on the phone or zoom meeting to get input on care, food. Or in contact with a breeder who would have experience in caring for puppies. He's to young for vaccines so I wouldn't get worried about that but he should be dewormed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No baby food. Puppy food. When you add to a premade diet you disrupt the nutrient ratios. And baby food is for babies, not puppies. Most vets are not nutritionists. With really young pups I mix canned with formula, but at 5 weeks he should be fine.
Again, weight isn't important. It's all how he feels. When you lift a malnourished or underweight pup aside from feeling bones you will feel no substance. They have nothing to them. A healthy pup just feels solid when you lift it.
There are emerg clinics in your neck of the woods that will take appointments. I just don't know which ones. Try calling AC and see if they can recommend one.
Thanks, he does have some solidity to him! I will call some again tomorrow!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts