German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just beginning the search for our next GSD. I'm in the DC area.

Our current GSD will be 9 next month, and is slowing down big time. I'm a dog trainer and use him for work multiple times per week (mostly to demo things and as the "neutral dog" when needed for behavior cases).

I'm looking for a dog who can be my work partner, but who is solid enough to be around my small children (will be 6 & 3 next year).

Ideally, high ball and food drives.

I also need, of course, a healthy dog with a physical structure that can work.

I'm considering working this dog in IPO, will definitely work this next dog in obedience, and will ideally get a dog who can be used as a demo dog and neutral dog with clients.

I have two small kids and live/work in an urban area, so a dog with the temperament to handle that kind of social setting is key. Would like a very solid and confident dog who could handle lots of different environments and scenarios.

We also have a small dog (under 15 lbs).

So, long story short - healthy, physically and mentally solid, working lines, confident, social, and high food and ball drives.

We've been very spoiled, in that our current GSD meets almost all of those criteria. Looking to get lucky twice!

My ideal colors (in order of preference) are dark sable, bi-color, black, or a really rich black and red. Just from a random google search...

(^ If I could choose my dream dog appearance, it would be something like this)

(^ These 2 are my actual dog, I love his head/face)

I'm just starting to look at breeders now. We would ideally add the puppy in 2022. I'm willing to travel almost anywhere. My budget is flexible, though I would ideally like to stay under $5,000.

I've looked at a ton of websites, but I'd love to hear from any of you who personally own or know dogs similar to what I am describing.

Can any of you help me out? Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
You sound like the type of buyer I'm always looking for! (not trying to sell you anything, I'm not even in the US) I love that you have your goals for the dog, know what you want and put colour last!
You should not have to pay near $5K for a puppy from a good kennel (well, I guess showlines are more expensive - but it sounds like you are looking for a working line dog.)
Best of luck and keep your standards high!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm just beginning the search for our next GSD. I'm in the DC area.

Our current GSD will be 9 next month, and is slowing down big time. I'm a dog trainer and use him for work multiple times per week (mostly to demo things and as the "neutral dog" when needed for behavior cases).

I'm looking for a dog who can be my work partner, but who is solid enough to be around my small children (will be 6 & 3 next year).

Ideally, high ball and food drives.

I also need, of course, a healthy dog with a physical structure that can work.

I'm considering working this dog in IPO, will definitely work this next dog in obedience, and will ideally get a dog who can be used as a demo dog and neutral dog with clients.

I have two small kids and live/work in an urban area, so a dog with the temperament to handle that kind of social setting is key. Would like a very solid and confident dog who could handle lots of different environments and scenarios.

We also have a small dog (under 15 lbs).

So, long story short - healthy, physically and mentally solid, working lines, confident, social, and high food and ball drives.

We've been very spoiled, in that our current GSD meets almost all of those criteria. Looking to get lucky twice!

My ideal colors (in order of preference) are dark sable, bi-color, black, or a really rich black and red. Just from a random google search...

View attachment 576309
(^ If I could choose my dream dog appearance, it would be something like this)

View attachment 576310 View attachment 576312
(^ These 2 are my actual dog, I love his head/face)

I'm just starting to look at breeders now. We would ideally add the puppy in 2022. I'm willing to travel almost anywhere. My budget is flexible, though I would ideally like to stay under $5,000.

I've looked at a ton of websites, but I'd love to hear from any of you who personally own or know dogs similar to what I am describing.

Can any of you help me out? Thanks!
Sent PM!

·
Super Moderator
5,653 Posts
I have a Carmspack / Fraserglen pup out of Gus and Ellie Mae. He is 14 months now and I'm really happy with him. He checks all your boxes. They are out of Toronto and are planning on repeating the breeding.

This is my puppy thread. There are several other forum members with Fraserglen dogs as well.
@Max'sOwner @tysco @AlexLafram @Countrygal

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are numerous breeders in the Baltimore/Washington area. Paul Harnage, Erin O 'Shea who owns Vegas, Johnsonhaus, Marty Segretto. I would go to a club and watch the dogs and training. Keep in mind that some of the dogs may be a lot of dog. Just depends on how much dog you want. If you go down south, Haus Dyer has a litter out of a Pepper daughter coming. Most everybody is on Facebook. Good luck.

·
Registered
32,590 Posts
Paul has a nice litter on the ground now.
Theresa Currier has/had a female available at Konigshaus. Should be a super nice candidate for what you are asking for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a Carmspack / Fraserglen pup out of Gus and Ellie Mae. He is 14 months now and I'm really happy with him. He checks all your boxes. They are out of Toronto and are planning on repeating the breeding.

This is my puppy thread. There are several other forum members with Fraserglen dogs as well.
@Max'sOwner @tysco @AlexLafram @Countrygal

Thank you David! And, congrats on the puppy! He's gorgeous! He's exactly the type of puppy I'd love.

(Side note, I stalked your profile a bit to see pictures of your dog... and found out about the Wheel of Time series. I can't believe I didn't know about that! Huge fan, and now so excited 😁)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are numerous breeders in the Baltimore/Washington area. Paul Harnage, Erin O 'Shea who owns Vegas, Johnsonhaus, Marty Segretto. I would go to a club and watch the dogs and training. Keep in mind that some of the dogs may be a lot of dog. Just depends on how much dog you want. If you go down south, Haus Dyer has a litter out of a Pepper daughter coming. Most everybody is on Facebook. Good luck.
Thank you for all of this, great list. And, visiting a club was next on the list! I appreciate it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Paul has a nice litter on the ground now.
Theresa Currier has/had a female available at Konigshaus. Should be a super nice candidate for what you are asking for.
Thank you for this! Still in the early stages of planning right now. Ideally, I'll bring home a puppy in the first half of 2022. I really appreciate all of these suggestions though. It's very exciting to start researching!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts