German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
These are good points. When I was younger we usually only had one dog at a time. When I got cody(gsd) we did have a 12 year old dog that got along well with him. My daughter had gotten Clippper, Cody's litter mate. They were raised in separate homes till Clipper was a little over a year old. She used to bring him over all the time and they were always glad to see each other. Then she moved out of state and Clipper came to his forever home with me and Cody. I think they got along so well was because previously they had been raised separate. They were best buddies here. I think about getting 2 puppies, I miss my gsds and how they were, but this article does make me rethink it! I have Hooch the little pittbull, and though I REALLY want another gsd or collie I think he is best as an only dog, at least for now. It's only been 7 months that he has been the only dog here with me. I also "worry" if I wait till I retire in a few years that getting a couple pups would all mean geriatric dogs when I'm getting up there too!

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
A quick question after reading this thread. I have a year and half old female GSD, she is a well trained house dog at this point and I am beginning agility training with her. I've been looking into getting a male puppy and was curious what people thought about this. I hadnt had any thoughts about this till I read this thread.
I think there is enough of an age difference here that it could work - but personally I would wait until your female is older.

When you get your new pup, whether you decide to get one now or later, you will still have to work with him to prevent him from bonding too much with the older girl. One-on-one training and play, separated for most of the day, etc.

When I got Gryffon, Keeta was five years old. For the first year that I had him, I mostly did a lot of one-on-one time with him to make sure that he looked to me more than her. He adores her, and looks up to her, and now they spend a lot of time together, but when I call him he drops everything and comes running, and when we go training he doesn't even so much as glance at other dogs - and I credit the time we spent together, just the two of us, for that kind of handler focus.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
i dunno. all different ways. sometimes they rough house but never hurt the cat. sometimes they groom the cat. sometimes they all just sleep by each other. sometimes the kitten bolts into the room and smacks a dog in the face and bolts away to get the dogs to chase her and i have to yell no to them. we don't let the dogs chase the cat but she loves it. sometimes the cat hides under furniture and plays peek a boo by shooting her paws out and dogs love that game.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i dunno. all different ways. sometimes they rough house but never hurt the cat. sometimes they groom the cat. sometimes they all just sleep by each other. sometimes the kitten bolts into the room and smacks a dog in the face and bolts away to get the dogs to chase her and i have to yell no to them. we don't let the dogs chase the cat but she loves it. sometimes the cat hides under furniture and plays peek a boo by shooting her paws out and dogs love that game.

What kind of cat do you have, and do you find cats to be a "rewarding" pet to have? I have to admit -- I wouldn't get a cat if getting a second puppy, which is my preference, did not entail so many problems and time commitment.

But maybe I'm just biased against cats because I love dogs.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
What kind of cat do you have, and do you find cats to be a "rewarding" pet to have? I have to admit -- I wouldn't get a cat if getting a second puppy, which is my preference, did not entail so many problems and time commitment.

But maybe I'm just biased against cats because I love dogs.
a black cat. i could give or take the cats. i'd prolly just rather have the dogs. i have aother 10 year old mean, hates all animals cat that has her own bedroom. still though, these three are all best buds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
a black cat. i could give or take the cats. i'd prolly just rather have the dogs. i have aother 10 year old mean, hates all animals cat that has her own bedroom. still though, these three are all best buds.

Sorry to bump the thread but I have a question for you since you have experience.
My dog is well a bit afraid of cats because had a bad experience with one. However I've been thinking about get a kitten(or two) but I wonder how that would effect my dog? Would it make her equally as scared or make her see that cats aren't so bad when they like dogs?
Another option is to adopt a bonded pair(mother and daughter duo) who are well socialized with dogs(specially GSDs) from a rescue. How would that effect my dog?
I don't want her to be scared in her own home(even though she is a bit right now but changing that!) or have her worry so much about a cat possibly attack her.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Updated links

41 - 50 of 50 Posts