1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, we got our puppies together. While it was hard sometimes, I loved it. We have two kids and each has there own puppy, they spend alot of time which each of theres puppy. My husband and I looked at it from the point of few as just having twins. They where able to keep themselves entertained when we could not.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
worst idea ever --- especially littermates. You will never appreciate them as unique individuals and you will always be battling with their tight involvement with each other . I don't sell my pups this way although I have people interested in one for the Mr and one for the Mrs . I even told my sister the same thing .
If I hold on to two brothers , or two brothers go in to a program to get them ready for future serious work , they always have time lavished on them as if they were the one and the only dog . One dog in house. One in kennel. One dog for training , other one eating / sleeping. Not together . It is more than double the work if you want a good result.
Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
They where able to keep themselves entertained when we could not.
Unfortunately this means they bonded with each other. I never realized how important individual training sessions were until I got this pup. She bonded with my older female. My pup is 20 months old and my female is about 7-1/2 yrs old. Thier playing together was much more exciting then when I want to train. I have to work extra hard with my pup.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I think it depends on the dogs. It can work out. But it can also cause problems. I think this does not have anything to do with lines or genetics. I think it is something you certainly could not determine by eight weeks in the litter. So it is a huge gamble every single time.

I have raised several littermates, and left them together for up to fifteen months. None of them are more concerned with each other than me. But a pup that went to its home at 4 months and came back to me at six months, and then kept totally separated from the other dogs, due to a serious injury -- that dog is far more interested in dogs than people, at home or abroad. But it is true that it is more than double the work. Socialize the singly, potty training is a blast when you have two or even three that need to go out first thing in the morning, and than need constant supervision. Training is separate too. And passing out treats to three alligators at the same time -- I marvel that I still have my full complement of fingers.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Definitly not a good idea to have 2 puppies at one time. Been there, done that, never will again.

I raised 2 littermates at the same time and it was EXTREMELY difficult and I would never do it again, I was only working part time when I was raising them.

One puppy caught on to tricks and training fast while the other one was slower and required more time and more training but because my time was split between them, the slower puppy didn't get the amount of training she should have gotten.
I think it was unfair to split my time between them, they both deserved to have me all to themselves while they were puppies and they had to share me.

They were very closely bonded to each other, I didn't exist while they were together.

Puppies need one on one time for training, bonding and exercising. They need all of your attention while they are growing/maturing, If they do not get individual time then they will become very close to each other and choose each other over you.

Puppies are also very expensive, shots, toys, spay/neuter and training.

Also, having 2 dogs close in age could mean that they pass away within months of each other which means double the heartbreak.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Double the geriatric vet bills.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I saw a family at PetSmart yesterday with two GSD pups and two children under the age of 10 and wow. Just wos. The pups looked to be three to four months old and totally wild. In fairness, the children looked rather wild, too, so it may be that chaos is their chosen lifestyle. But what I saw didn't make me think that having two puppies at the same time looked fun. At least not two big puppies.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Double the geriatric vet bills.
Silly me I forgot about that, even with one being 9 and the other 7 is tuff.
The only thing I have to go to the vets for this week is meds/prescriptions.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well, I now have a two puppy situation and could use all the advice I can get.

Maggie, I will be reading those links above, and thanks!

Some history:

Eva, our female, one year on 9/8/11, spayed.

Tory, a male, six months, will be neutered within 4-8 weeks. (He belongs to our daughter, who recently moved back home again.)

Both are GSD mixes and both have known the other since Tory was 9 weeks old.

Both are crate trained.

Eva has completed 2 sets of classes, Tory has gone through puppy class.

Right now there are no real issues, but I believe in trying to ward off problems.

Advice please?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
the situation is different because the dogs were not raised together . Each one had the time and distance to develop as an individual .
Why not continue with your daughter having responsibilty for "her" dog , and you with yours .
Once your daughter has been home again for a while and the dog is working well for her then you can increase the friend time the two littermates have with each other .
She has to demonstrate that the dog responds to her and that the dog understands that she is still the one to "report" to . This makes it easier for the dog , not having to switch loyalty , that the daughter is the constant , even though the home has switched. When she moves away again the dog will be able to move with her more easily.

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I was going to suggest the same as Carmen - you each take on responsibility for your puppy - puppies are separated by crating, or baby gates in different parts of the house. Allow one or two play sessions a day together, but this should not be instead of one-on-one training, bonding, playing exercising with their owners.

I got Gryff at six months - for the first six months in my house, spent a lot of one-on-one time with him, taking him out on his own for exercise, excursions, and training, leaving poor Keeta home alone (she was a good sport about it :) ).

Then gradually allowing longer time together. After a year, I did not bother to separate them anymore at all, both are very responsive - they could be playing together, and I call one of them, and they break it off and come right away - that is when you know that they have not over-bonded to the other dog.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
My suggestion is to continue training sessions. Each pup in a different class.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Brutus was 12 months old, when we got Oso who was between 6-8 months old (rescue so not certain of exact age). Brutus who was alone with us for his first year is into us, and will only play with Oso if no human is willing to spend time with him. Oso on the other hand prefers to play with Brutus over us humans, again we aren't sure of his background but it does seem that he must have been entertained by other dogs and not his owner for the most part. They were both puppies at the same time, but hadn't been raised together until later, so it does make a difference, I think.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Carmen, you brought up a good point I hadn't thought of. We three adults (DH, DD, and I) know Tory is her dog, but reinforcing it WITH the dogs is excellent advice and we'll be sure to do that more. We do it some, but it's a really valid point that her dog doesn't bond with us over her.

Lucia, they do get that crate time separate, with play sessions in-between. We also walk them separately several times a day.

Selzer, I believe we will both be continuing classes and we will not be in the same class - that's another good point I hadn't considered.

Germanshepherdlova, thanks for the input. These two will be apart at some point in the future, just not sure when.

Thanks everyone! Keep the suggestions coming! :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Two puppies? Oh wow! talk about liking challenges..:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
126 Posts
We have two puppies at home now and it's definitely a handful! My husband and I are currently bunking with my family while we save up like crazy. With us we have our long coated GSD Milou who just turned 6 months old and our two kitties. About a month or so after we got our pup, my mom lost her sheltie and adopted a 10 month old sheltie boy. The two of them turn into absolute terrors when they're playing together so we try to seriously limit their time together.

Milou is crated in our bedroom while Tintin is crated in my mom's room. They eat at the same time and play together in the backyard every time we let them out to pee. They also attend obedience class together but my husband and I work with Milou in one area and my mom works with Tintin alone in another. I walk Milou alone every morning and my husband walks her alone most afternoons. We usually walk them together in the evening.

Milou is brilliant, very devoted to us, loves to cuddle and is very responsive. She is absolutely higher up in the pack order than Tintin but recognizes both my husband and I as being in charge. Tintin is bright, very food motivated and listens if you have food but not if you don't. We try to spend as much time with Milou as possible and she usually has one of us with her at all times but I don't think my mom spends enough time with Tintin who has separation anxiety.

I've been going through the links but does anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
111 Posts
We just did it! Here are brothers Milo and Rocco, long coats.

*** Pic removed by Mod due to oversized (was 1023 x 615) ***

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Years ago I took in a male stray GSD puppy and a couple months later found another male GSD puppy about the same age. Raised them both together, never had a problem with them until they turned two, then it was crate and rotate. Both dogs were very biddable and bonded very nicely to me.

Down the road I bought a brother and sister GSD. Never had any problems with them either that were related to raising two pups together. They never really did bond with me, but they never really bonded with each other either. These two just did not seem to have bonding in them.

Now I always let my adults help raise my pups. Although most feel that this could be problematic, all my pups bonded nicely with me except for the aforementioned two, but those two were another story.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts