German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I haven't wanted to admit it, but you have to face the facts! I feel like I've lost the will to raise Gemini and Lucky, and I don't know. I just...They're still not potty trained, and I figured it was me, but I've been taking them out on their schedule, after every drink, every bite of food, play, sleep, nap, etc. And it's still not working.

I just...I don't want to give up on them. They're such phenomenal dogs, but... I don't know. If anyone has experienced this before, what are some of the things you did to get back on track? To get that liveliness back?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
How old are they? What kind of training are you doing with them? Do you train separately? How often? How often are they separate from each other?

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Hi guys. I haven't wanted to admit it, but you have to face the facts! I feel like I've lost the will to raise Gemini and Lucky, and I don't know. I just...They're still not potty trained, and I figured it was me, but I've been taking them out on their schedule, after every drink, every bite of food, play, sleep, nap, etc. And it's still not working.

I just...I don't want to give up on them. They're such phenomenal dogs, but... I don't know. If anyone has experienced this before, what are some of the things you did to get back on track? To get that liveliness back?

Thanks guys.
Could you explain in detail how you are potty training?

Get back on track as in get yourself in a better state of mind?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They get about an hour together a day--tops. And training is done separately, and about eh, three to four times a day, about five minutes each time. For both of them. They are crate trained, I'm not a fan of it, but it's needed for littermates. They do fine in their crate. They'll whimper to go out, and they'll potty fine. When we have them out to train or play with them/socialize, it's like everything just goes downhill--on the couch or the bed especially. As soon as their little feet touch them, they're starting to squat.

We also believe our 'breeder' sent them home at six weeks, not eight. I don't know. Before, it was both my twin and I working to help train them/raise them, but she recently moved to Cali for college, and my parents have decided that since I lost my job(plant got shut down), that I'll be perfectly fine raising them on my own. Without any help. And normally, this wouldn't bother me. It's happened before(family losing interest) and I'd bounce back right from it, but now it's just...It's so hard.

Have you guys done activities to rekindle the puppy raising fire?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Have you considered rehoming one of them? You've probably read on here the issues with raising littermates (or 2 puppies at once), with your twin gone it's going to be twice the work now. At 13 wks they are still young enough that it shouldn't be too hard to place one in a good home giving you time to put full attention on one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have breached the subject with my parents--and since they're the ones that paid most of the breeder fee, they get the final decision. They love 'em both, and don't want to see either of them go. It was the first thing I talked to them about when I realized why I wasn't as excited anymore. They're adamant on not letting either of them go.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
They're still really young. Two dogs are double the work, let alone two puppies with no help. I really don't mean to be a downer but if you can't find help I would look at potentially rehoming one of the puppies sooner rather then later. If your parents are so concerned with keeping both I would encourage them to step up and help then

Regarding house breaking. Literally the second the puppy finished doing something, eating, playing, sleeping, even starting sniffing the ground the puppy was scooped up and outside. As soon as I woke up my feet touched the ground and reached to pick up the puppy to carry them outside

Puppies can be overwhelming just like young babies, they don't always conform to schedules and our expectations. I found when I got overwhelmed I would crate the puppy with a stuffed kong so I could step back and take a break for a minute. Also, I tried to keep training light when we were having a bad day, just playing in the yard or grabbing a toy to chase. Young puppies need structure but they also need to be allowed to have fun and just be puppies once in a while.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know. And I'm so very vigilant with them when they're out or in their crates. Recently though, we've had to put them in a kennel because a tree fell on our fence and snapped it and they can't be let loose in the yard. Could the kennel be throwing them off? I've never had trouble with it before.

And yeah, I WANT to rehome one. I know that without my twin here, the work is going to be horrible. But my parents refuse to admit that it needs to be done, and without their permission I can't do anything.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
As they mature you may start seeing issues between them, even with a male/female combination, littermates can turn hostile toward one another. The older they get the harder it will be to place one. I get that you get rehoming one would be best...perhaps showing your parents supporting information on the trials have 2 puppies? There are many threads on the subject on this forum, I think you can search on.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Are you cleaning with Nature's Miracle?

I raised a male/female littermate combo who turned out fine - and I ended up with a lot of the work since my husband was deployed (and on work ups before that) before they were a year old, plus I worked. It was tiring - but it is possible. It gets better.

My new pup is just 16 weeks old, and maybe at 14 weeks or so, I noticed she was able to stop herself midplay/zoomies and let us know she had to go to the bathroom (some of our potty-training issues had to do with her not wanting to go down the stairs and that is the only way to exit our house). Otherwise, I had to remember to physically stop her mid crazy and take her out.

We recently got a treat ball and it has been a lifesaver in regards to our sanity at times! Also, what about taking some puppy classes with them separately? That way you can be in a class with others who are going through some of the same issues you are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts