German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is very hot these days, some times i dump a couple of ice cubes into my dog's water bowl or give them a few to munch on in the afternoon (like 3 or 4).
Someone told me recently that this can cause bloating and muscle spasms?

I was reading about a hot weather treat for dogs where you can take water and chicken broth and treats and freeze it into a block so that they can lick it and chew on it, but now I am hesitant to do so.

anyone have opnions?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I give my dogs ice cubes all the time. I've never had an issue.

I also mix greek yogurt and a little pumpkin and make frozen ice cream treats in ice cube trays.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I used to give mine ice cubes as treats, or ice in their water on hot days. Recently, anything frozen (ice cubes, frozen veggies) causes Koda to vomit right after eating them.
I recently read about the ice causing muscle spasms in the stomach, & figured that might be what is causing Koda to vomit right after eating them, so I stopped giving anything frozen to them.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I think the bloat issue occurs when you give ice cubes to an overheated dog in an effort to cool the dog down quickly. That is not recommended.

I haven't seen any issues with giving the dog a couple here and there when body temp is stable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts