German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the desert so temperatures are already hovering around 100 degrees F here lately. I've noticed that if I drop an ice cube (we have a somewhat faulty fridge dispenser, so it happened often), 2 of my dogs in particular will grab it and eat it. My husband and I also have a habit of pouring our water glasses into the dogs' water bowl if we don't want to finish them, and if there's ice in it these 2 dogs will basically go fishing for the ice cubes.

I've heard some mixed views on whether this is dangerous or not. The concern is cracked or damaged teeth. The two dogs who eat ice cubes are young adults with clean dental bills of health from fairly recent (last 6 months) dental exams.

It seems like a nice treat in this hot weather, so I'm curious. Right now I'm withholding ice cubes just in case (we're grabbing ice cubes by hand for our drinks, and making sure they're melted before we pour unwanted drinking water into the dog bowl), but I'd like to hear if anyone knows about this.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
i give my dog ice cubes. He is like a hockey player with an ice cube at first... he paws it around for a while before deciding to chew it up.. I have not had a problem with teeth.

The only caution I have heard with regard to ice cubes is to not put them in water that is in the water bowl. Something about a concern for possible bloat. I don't know if that is myth or fact... actually, i would be curious to hear from other, more knowledgeable, forum members what they think about that : )

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have special ice cube trays in the freezer just for Ava--I put some of her kibble in them and give them to her as treats, especially during summer. They are her favorite thing, and we've never had any problems! :)

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
They are German dogs, and love cold stuff. I make ice cubes especially for Hans, in mini ice cube trays

Amazon.com: Kotobuki Mini Ice Cube Tray with Lid: Kitchen & Dining

If I give him ice from the dispenser in the fridge, he gets the crushed ice. Large ice cubes are too big and might crack a tooth.
I never give them when he's overheated, or right after exercise. I give them to him when he is calm, and he loves the treat.

Today I put some leftover watermelon in the blender and used that to make little ice cubes. I can't wait to have him try those!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i give my dog ice cubes. He is like a hockey player with an ice cube at first... he paws it around for a while before deciding to chew it up.. I have not had a problem with teeth.

The only caution I have heard with regard to ice cubes is to not put them in water that is in the water bowl. Something about a concern for possible bloat. I don't know if that is myth or fact... actually, i would be curious to hear from other, more knowledgeable, forum members what they think about that : )
Actually, now that you mention it I think I have heard of bloat as a concern with that, because some dogs will gulp the water in an effort to get the ice cube. My dogs don't go after it that way (they're dainty souls, I guess LOL) and can grab an ice cube without lowering the water level much at all, but I did have a Lab growing up who would do that and I can see that fear. I would think that, like many bloat-related concerns, it probably depends on the dog.

I'm glad to hear that no one so far is worried about teeth. I kind of thought it was overblown, because I'm one of those annoying folks who loves to eat ice cubes and I have never even had a cavity (my only broken tooth came from a GSD head smashing into me, actually), but dog teeth are shaped differently so I worry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts